Cutthroat Culture

Let's play one of Gren's Sweden maps next. Here they are again:
Spoiler P1 :

Spoiler P2 :

Spoiler C1 :

Spoiler C2 :

To me it looks like the Continents maps have more food in the capital, which is pretty important given our internal trade route rules. Plus we've just finished a Pangaea game, so I'll vote for C2 with C1 as a close second.

We can play a weaker civ after that, perhaps revisit Europe Extended and actually score a win on that map? Or try a different custom map.

I would like a conversation about promotions. I think we we should be keeping things simpler. Which is to say just give melee units double Cover before anything more exotic. Ranged units should be taking Accuracy until Logistics.
Agree on double Cover for meatshields. I also like to have some mobile Medics, especially if lots of units have March (which Caroleans will). I'd keep the number of Accuracy and Barrage units about even, unless the map obviously favors one type over the other.

Any thoughts on the turn order?

Last edited:
Yeah, BB this late was unexpected. I think the AIs performed quite poorly overall, except Hiawatha who also made a pretty solid attempt at violent CV :)

Unshackled Hiawatha is a bloody annoyance but at least this time willing to take bribes for war.

I have one request: please don't give units orders to travel for multiple turns if it overlaps with the next player's session. I had a few situations where units moved in ways I didn't expect.

Oops, sorry, I do that occasionally not to actually move units but to remember where I planned them to be going but I can see this creating a mess if unprepared.

There were a couple of hiccups in this game, so I'm in favor to have a small chat about the general plan and tactics whenever necessary so that everyone's on the same page. Raider's map of potential city locations was really helpful in that regard.

I think we're on the right track with the ruleset. Just need to decide on GMus - do we want to limit concert tours somehow? How about 1 per civ so that you can't just triple-tour the culture leader?

Yes, I would be in favor of limiting GMu Tours, so encourage making GW from them, and making Broadway more appealing.

Some/most/all of the planning mess can be tributet to me & my playstyle which at times seems
radical or violently different to others, especially with Beetle so I was about to take a game off to learn but apparently it doesn't affect the outcome of a game so I can participate though I'll be a roughly week away hiking on weeks 36 & 37. The game will likely be ongoing even after that. I'm still not selling buildings, pillage & repairing etc. If only Raider had played the 10 turns... ;)

I generally like the current ruleset. GMu concerts could be limited more than just one per civ. Something like we earn a bulb (max=1) for each era on which we can naturally spawn AND convert to a GW. If we have a strong religion we could also limit the buying part to non-consecutive GPs or whatever.

I would like a conversation about promotions. I think we we should be keeping things simpler. Which is to say just give melee units double Cover before anything more exotic. Ranged units should be taking Accuracy until Logistics. There are probably some other things that make sense when playing alone but are not so good for shared toys.

I usually go along the lines of Double Cover for first 2 or 3 wannabe tank Pikes, always for the true melee line, ranged gets Range on offense, Logistics on defense after Barrage - every 3/4th starts with Accuracy, Frigates have more situational awareness. Logistics seems the nicer option but it's not useful unless there's something to shoot and 2 or 3 XBows with range can take city down and are practically guaranteed a shot every turn - CS if nothing else as a target dummy. AAG & SAM get Medic asap - at least first 2 or 3 first ones which seem to contradict with Bettle as Cover is wasted on my AAG/SAMs

Small notion about the game itself & my plan after T250. The main purpose for the Washy war was to free him of Uranium. After that there wouldn't have been a way to lose a city (or even a unit) to him and that front would've been an xp harvest with occasionally liberating CSs. Few SAMs could've killed his whole Air Force and rest was no threat. Meanwhile most of the units could've bee preparing for Hiawatha & effectively take him out with relative ease. The gpt bonus from from Washy would've been enough to buy an AB in every ~2nd turn to Hiawatha intact.
Not going for the Uranium meant that the Washy front needed to be manned even for status quo and even then leaving the troops there vulnerable for acute mass extinction instead of making the game like Bulls occasionally did back in the days of Jordan due to moronic rules of NBA - pack everyone else on one side leaving Jordan 1 vs 1 on the other.
Though the very flexible bulbing rules made this obsolete as well.

---
minor correction in the promotion part

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the turn order?

Not that I oppose such order but if I'm next to Beetle either way we might effectively cancel each other's turns :) which is to say I don't care.

I still go for C1 and depending on how the voting system is set up my 2nd choice is P1.

----

Btw, can we get the end game save?

Sure, I've attached the file. You can see how carelessly I play when victory's in sight and few things matter anymore - cities are on Wealth and all units fortified in nonsensical locations so that I get as few prompts as possible. I didn't move the bombers before giving cities to Washington (yikes) and didn't micro anything besides tourism to save time.

Small notion about the game itself & my plan after T250. The main purpose for the Washy war was to free him of Uranium. After that there wouldn't have been a way to lose a city (or even a unit) to him and that front would've been an xp harvest with occasionally liberating CSs. Few SAMs could've killed his whole Air Force and rest was no threat. Meanwhile most of the units could've bee preparing for Hiawatha & effectively take him out with relative ease. The gpt bonus from from Washy would've been enough to buy an AB in every ~2nd turn to Hiawatha intact.
This sort of thing needs to be put into words in the threads I think. Plans may be painfully obvious to the one making them, but not to everyone else. And it's much more interesting to read a player's thought process than a simple list of things they did in the session.

Attachments

• Pedro II_0291 AD-1842.Civ5Save
    2 MB · Views: 38
This sort of thing needs to be put into words in the threads I think. Plans may be painfully obvious to the one making them, but not to everyone else. And it's much more interesting to read a player's thought process than a simple list of things they did in the session.

True, but I specifically didn't want to make a definite plan for others to follow my turn but when Raider asked I said

I don't know if there's anything we really have to do in next turns but as I played it continuation would've been

- Liberate Texcoco, cap Tlatelolco and burn/keep it to cap & keep Tenochtitlan while letting Washy kill his planes on SAMs and get xp for Bombers & Arties. Then take Teotihuacan & Detroit & start liberating CSs. There won't be peace in a long time with Washy. Not losing any units is the key.

Which includes the key part of getting the Uranium - everything else was secondary to that. When I started the next stint my surprise was that we didn't have either of Uranium nodes - everything else was still pretty much irrelevant. If we could bulb GMUs after all then the only things that mattered were Tourism on turn of buying GMus and not letting Hiawatha win before us. Washy without nukes & the rest were obsolete anyway. Washy with Nukes on his own was obsolete as well but accompanied by Hiawatha the situation as a whole not welcomed at all. In case we could bulb the situation is roughly the same but much easier. Washy not having Nukes still being a key part. DoWing or making peace with any other parties was irrelevant to the grand scheme of things but could slightly change the turn-by-turn play.
My surprise wasn't a criticism to past stints but a genuine surprise to see Washy still controlling both Uranium nodes. The rest as I said was irrelevant but I could've been more specific with my words.

Looks like I’m the tiebreaker. I’d rather play continents. C2 is a start worthy of an EDGE game, so too easy. I vote for C1. I’m sure there will be coast somewhere nearby that we can put our first expo on. And we even have a fun decision to make about where to settle the capital which I guess we can discuss in the new game thread.

Regarding the plan for Washy's uranium; that's a good example of something we could discuss in the pauses between rounds. I think the pause is a great idea.

As for turn order, how about (not necessarily me going first (but I'd be glad to)):
raider
Gren
vadalaz
beetle

Last edited:
C1 it is then! RGVB turn order is fine by me.

Gren, will you do the honors and start the new thread since you have the savefile?

Would you guys take on any extra players. I'd enjoy trying a succession game with you all.

A new game thread has been opened so go ahead Raider ;)

Fiddlesticks was added as #5 without a thought so the order is up for changes if there's a reason for that.

Sure, I've attached the file. You can see how carelessly I play when victory's in sight and few things matter anymore - cities are on Wealth and all units fortified in nonsensical locations so that I get as few prompts as possible.

Thx & that sounds very familiar though my sloppiness usually starts ~200 turns before expected ending and the first turns up to CS are even worse.

Great. Thanks! I’ll have to study those rules as I do all of those almost automatically!

Top Bottom