Haarbals fantasy civ pack

Help! I can't get any of your new civs. What am I doing wrong? I thought I followed all of your directions, but when I load the mod during civ, nothing is different. Why is this?

Haarbal said:
well, in my experience, if you download a new mod, start a new game.
in most of the cases a saved game won't load because some xml files are changed and the game doesn't know how to handle these changes.
so new mod, new game :)

haarbal

Are you talking about saved games from the mod you are downloading? i.e. saves from version 1.1 not working with new mod version 1.2?

hinate01 said:
Help! I can't get any of your new civs. What am I doing wrong? I thought I followed all of your directions, but when I load the mod during civ, nothing is different. Why is this?

have you downloaded the fall from heaven mod made by keal?
if yes, is that in the folder sid meier's civilization 4/mods/fall from heaven or some other folder name inside your mods folder?
did you put the zip file straight in the fall from heaven folder?
selected extract here and let some files be overwritten?
did you search between the vanilla civs, because i put them on alphabetical order, not just at the bottom/top?

if this all is yes then i dont know whats could be caussing the problem, maybe someone else has the sollution.

haarbal

p.s. look what i found while searching for new civs+leaderheads click.
do you think het is on cfc too :p

Guys, I know you tried to help, but in all honesty I was insulted to be walked through how to make civilizations unplayable. As a modder myself I am well aware and familiar with XML.

My point was that for future release you should incorporate this yourself into the XML (without the user having to go in and change it himself) because it takes away from the fantasy feel of the mod.

Haarbal said:
have you downloaded the fall from heaven mod made by keal?
if yes, is that in the folder sid meier's civilization 4/mods/fall from heaven or some other folder name inside your mods folder?
did you put the zip file straight in the fall from heaven folder?
selected extract here and let some files be overwritten?
did you search between the vanilla civs, because i put them on alphabetical order, not just at the bottom/top?

if this all is yes then i dont know whats could be caussing the problem, maybe someone else has the sollution.

haarbal

Thanks, I'll try that.

Shqype said:
Guys, I know you tried to help, but in all honesty I was insulted to be walked through how to make civilizations unplayable. As a modder myself I am well aware and familiar with XML.

My point was that for future release you should incorporate this yourself into the XML (without the user having to go in and change it himself) because it takes away from the fantasy feel of the mod.

it was also more in general, for anybody to remove civs. i read comments from more people who want to play the game only with the fantasy civs, and i thought, well i'll create a quick tutorial and i didn't want to insult you in any way, so sorry if it looked like that.

haarbal

Wyz_sub10 said:
Did you put the mod in the My Documents mod folder or the Firaxis mod folder? All mods should go in the latter.
firaxis mod folder of course,i am tired of restarting so i tried it without, besides i am close to destroying 2 more enemies

Heya Haarbal.

i went to that tutorial charcole made, its very good, i ended up making wood elves, high elves and dark elves. problem is all of my in game text appears like: TXT_KEY_something-or-other.
including civs, and leader names, also one of my leaders for the High Elves, Caledor II, dosn't work at all??? there is no images or text for him at all, and when you click to select him as your leader, the game crashes....

If you know how to fix the text thing i would be increadably gratefull.;)

Ta. Psych

the text keys refer to the text files. civilization uses all the files in mod name/assets/xml/text for this. if you are going to create your mod only in english, i think you can remove the txt_key_blablabla and replace them by just blablabla.
for example, the vanilla civs use the following:
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHEROKEE</City>
if you want to put your city names in the xml like this, you need to create the following tag in a xml/text file like this
<tag>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CHEROKEE</tag>
<inenglish>Cherokee</inenglish
<infrench>something else</infrench>

etc.
the easiest way to get it right is to put the following in.
<City>Mutanbo</City>.
this is way easier, and spares you a lot of time creating the text files.
i'm not completely sure on this, but i think that you can do this with all the TXT_blablabla files, if you're only going to create them in english.

haarbal

Hmmm... I went into the original Civ Texts and found a "CIV4GameTextInfos_Cities" file, so i fiddled around with that and now all my citys are working! thanks for that Haarbal!

However, i had another look through the files and could not come up with anything about the civs and leaders?!? I do have the "GameTextInfos_MyMod" file, but it always comes up with an error about the first line in the file, "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>" i think it was...

sorry to be a pest...

that looks like a familier problem :)
i also had that problem when trying to create a civ, but somewhere on cfc if found the most basic text.xml file.
GameTextInfos_Yourciv.xml.
just replace all the YOURCIV and (leadername) tags, with the correct tags, and you've got it working.
if you want to add some speech lines in for your leaders, add the last few tags From this file in the first xml file. if you're going to create them in english only, remove the everything from <language> till </language>, until there's nothing but
<text>
<tag>some tag name</tag>
<english>blablabla</english>
</text>

haarbal

Those links dont work, But i figured out that i can just copy everything into the GameTextInfos_Objects.xml. and now everything works (except a couple of the civs and leaders cause a CTD when you click them)

ive now managed to make the Wood elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Tomb Kings (undead egyption civ), Lizardmen, Dwarves (which CTD), Ogres, Reikland (a German-like civ), and Bretonnia (a Frenchy Civ, which also CTD).

I also plan to do: Vampire Counts, Orcs, Goblins, Skaven (rat-men), Beasts of Chaos (evil minotaur like civ), Hords of Chaos (Deamons), Lhamia (egyptian vampires), Nippon (a Japanese like civ), Cathay (a Chinese like civ), Ind (indian like Civ), Araby (arabic civ), Norse ( take a guess;) ), Kislev (russian civ), Estalia (spanish civ), Tilia (Roman/Italian civ), Amazonians, ummm... i think thats it... Sheesh, now that i look at it all, thats gonna take a while to do!!

So far so good though, thanks for your help.

So to make this mod work you need to d/l & extract soemthing else? Sorry, complete noob to Civ mods.. ><

i made this for another mod (fall from heaven), which is a fantasy mod (and a popular one to :)).
Fall from heaven
download this first to your mod folder (.../sid meiers civilization 4/mods/) and select extrect here. then download this mod and extrect it in the sid meiers civilization 4/mods/fall from heaven. you'll get the question if you want to replace some files, select yes here. start the game =>load a mod =>fall from heaven. the game will restart and when you click on play now! (and select the map type and stuff) you can select my civs, next to the regular civs.
edit: this might be a bit too simple, but it's better than having to this another time beside this time :), yeah i'm lazy :)

no, kael changed a lot in the files that i change as well. i'll get to it as soon as i get it, and i'll be adding some new civs and removing the vanilla civs as well :D
the complete list will be the following
Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Overlords, Undead, Centaur, Merfolk, Goblin, Orc, Chaotics, Dark Elves, Tigrans, halflings, sshrathi (lizarmen), frostlings, dark dwarves, ancients, wood elves and minotaurs.

haarbal

Haarbal said:
no, kael changed a lot in the files that i change as well. i'll get to it as soon as i get it, and i'll be adding some new civs and removing the vanilla civs as well :D
the complete list will be the following
Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Overlords, Undead, Centaur, Merfolk, Goblin, Orc, Chaotics, Dark Elves, Tigrans, halflings, sshrathi (lizarmen), frostlings, dark dwarves, ancients, wood elves and minotaurs.

haarbal

Playing with your civs makes a big difference in FfH. Any idea on an approximate release time for your civs to be compatible with 0.80? :thanx:

Top Bottom