History questions not worth their own thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
are the scientific achievenments of the Ancient Romans not blatant? thy take much knowlege from greeks but also developed owns
the only thing is they lost to barbaric tribes like Attilas Riding Horde and later all other tribes in the time of migration movements who wanna get to civilised nations due to climatic changes for a home with enough food and freeedomlife and fought harder than the situated Romans and the wartechnical development was not that modern way like it came up during industrial revolution much later with upcoming of mass destruction weapons. Thats muchh later

How did the United States monitor immigration before the creation of Immigration and Naturalization Services? It seems before the 1870s it was a state issue, but how effective were the individual states at regulating immigration? Certain laws seem to suggest that there was some method of regulating immigrants, but at what point did it become where an immigrant couldn't just jump off a boat and start a life here (legally anyways)? How did they check for citizenship for things like elections?

I'm looking for books or websites that deal with fashion, art and culture in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Russia and other conservative monarchical nations from 1870-1914. Any good ones?

Could the First French Republic and Revolutionary France be considered the father of the modern police state? I believe it could, it shares some eerie qualities with Bolshevik Russia and fascist Italy

And in a related note, could Napoleon be considered to have fascistic tendencies? The charisma of the leader, the crushing of the press, the rigged elections, the constant drafts and wars of aggression, the adoption (renewal) of piety and organized religion as a means to sedate the masses all seem like something out of a bad Latin-American dictatorship.

Could the First French Republic and Revolutionary France be considered the father of the modern police state? I believe it could, it shares some eerie qualities with Bolshevik Russia and fascist Italy

And in a related note, could Napoleon be considered to have fascistic tendencies? The charisma of the leader, the crushing of the press, the rigged elections, the constant drafts and wars of aggression, the adoption (renewal) of piety and organized religion as a means to sedate the masses all seem like something out of a bad Latin-American dictatorship.
Take a look at Josef II sometime. :p

Take a look at Josef II sometime. :p

I thought Franz was the one who was known for his censorship and citizen espionage networks.

Nevertheless, I'm not quite sure I'm willing to accept that the Habsburg Monarchy was comparable to the National Convention or the First French Empire in those terms. We call something "totalitarian" or "proto-totalitarian" if all of its gears are toward (a) maintaining the current regime at the cost of every other social mechanism, and (b) ultra-militarism. Both of these are kinda true for the Jacobins and Napoleon (but certainly less so than Stalin and Hitler; and not just because the 20th century totalitarians had a greater technological capability to do so), but not so for the Habsburgs or Romanovs, who even at the peak of their authoritarianism, still had some semblance of appealing to opposition parties, the state religion, liberal education, etc.

Now, this might be a silly question, but why is Sitting Bull wearing a crucifix?

Because he converted to papism late in life.

He converted to Catholicism in 1883, seven years after Little Bighorn. Sympathizers for the Native Americans were known to have sent him moderate sums of money, with which Sitting Bull donated generously to the homeless that he encountered while touring with Buffalo Bill.

Why does it seem that many more indigenous peoples of the US when converting to Christianity became Catholic instead of Protestant?

Why does it seem that many more indigenous peoples of the US when converting to Christianity became Catholic instead of Protestant?

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but maybe because Protestantism is associated with the greedy landgrabbing Americans.

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but maybe because Protestantism is associated with the greedy landgrabbing Americans.

Maybe because the French didn't treat natives awfully?

Maybe because the French didn't treat natives awfully?

It depends. From what we know, while they're allied with one Indian nation at the same time they might be at war with another.

In any case Sitting Bull converted in the late 19th century, so it's not likely to be very relevent, at least in his particular case.

Probably this. Catholics, blacks and Native Americans were all loosely associated as persecuted minorities in the U.S. during the 18th and 19th centuries. They never formed any sort of national league, but there are several accounts of them cooperating in unusual circumstances.

That sort of explains why Sitting Bull became "Catholic instead of Protestant," but not really why he abandoned his indigenous religious affiliation to become Christian at all.

Apparently there were American and Commonwealth PoWs left at the mercy of the NKVD after the Second World War. It seems a number were sent to the Gulags but what happened to the others or those who survived? How many ever made it back home? How many assimilated into Soviet society?

True or false: George Washington spent more money and resources fighting indigenous American peoples than any other US president would.

If not, who was the most committed to this little venture?

True or false: George Washington spent more money and resources fighting indigenous American peoples than any other US president would.

If not, who was the most committed to this little venture?

If we're adjusting for inflation, it's probably true. It was under his presidency that the catastrophic St. Clair's Defeat (1791) occurred.

If it's not Washington, my next guess would be Madison, since the largest engagements against Native Americans happened during the War of 1812.

If we're adjusting for inflation, it's probably true. It was under his presidency that the catastrophic St. Clair's Defeat (1791) occurred.

If it's not Washington, my next guess would be Madison, since the largest engagements against Native Americans happened during the War of 1812.
Not Grant or Hayes?

Not Grant or Hayes?

Less troops were deployed in the Great Sioux War than in the Northwest Indian Wars and the War of 1812, which is amazing if you account for the population difference between 1790/1812 and 1877.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom