Hosting Possibilities

You host the save and give us your ip so we can connect to you, we don't need any save, the host(you) are the only one handling that...

You can find out your IP many ways. One common way is to go to whatismyip.com.

One thing that I find is really handy is to use a dynamic DNS service to give your system a hostname. The one I use is DynDNS.

I'm getting a new modem, so I'll have a new IP (I think). But how exactly do I know what it is?

Check the link dave provided...

ok - Sulla says he's going to have a map ready on Tuesday or Wednesday. So we're less than 48 hours from having a map.

Where are we at on having a PitBoss server?

Civplayah, I appreciate your efforts! :hatsoff: - but if it's not going to work for you, please let us know so we can start the hunt for another host!

Thanks.

Caution to potential hosts and admins:

While doing an experiment with a pitboss I'm running, I wanted to be logged in as a player other than player 1. It's a friendly training game, so I thought no problem, just borrow someone's civ using the admin password. Long story short, it replaced the player's password with the admin password and wouldn't let me change it back. :eek: Like I said, good thing this is not a competitive game. :mischief:

So, unlike a PBEM where the admin can login using the admin password and force a civ's turn etc, it seems on pitboss this is not possible without messing up that civ's ability to play the next turn.

Unfortunately this means it is not possible to lurk the game using the admin password. :(

So what happens if the Admin logs in as Player 1?

Pretty sure you can log into the game hidden using the admin pw... Or at least download some other teams save and play that on your own comp...

We really must settle on a host within the next few days. The map will be done within the next 48 hours, and then there's really no excuse for delays once it's in place. Hosting is literally the one thing I cannot do, as I won't have a persistent Internet connection for much of the next year. I can't believe that out of the dozens and dozens of people here, no one is able to host the game. Folks, it's really not hard to host one of these games. Let's get this issue solved ASAP! :)

Sorry. I have a Vista, maybe it's that. I went to Dave's website (what'smyip) and clicked on Change my IP address, and I followed the instructions on page 2. My internet went down temporarily. :( Tried it, can't do it. Someone else's gotta host it, even though I was really looking forward to it...

Thanks for trying civplayah! We appreciate the effort. :salute:

I'd offer to host, but I can't do it from work (company policy) and I can't do it from home since I live in the country and my wireless internet connection is a bit "spotty" ... it'd probably result in more frustration for everyone than anything. :sad:

I can host if necessary, though it would interrupt the team 5 warmup game unless I can figure out how to get two copies of civstats running. I managed to get two versions of pitboss going already.

We're going to allow an active player to host, right?

If it does come down to me, it would be a good idea to run a test connection game. I have launched two pitboss servers, but not tried to have people connect to both of them. Also, some down time is inevitable, this computer is nowhere near as stable as I'd like and I'm subject to intermittent business travel.

I have no way to host a game myself. However, I'll ask around some friends and see if I can find anyone.

Thanks DaveShack and Lord Parkin.

@Dave - you've more than earned a reputation for trustworthiness. I can't imagine any serious objections to you as a player-host. :salute:

1st choice should still always be a 3rd party (with a stable PC and internet connection ;) )

Top Bottom