Hosting Possibilities

I can host if necessary, though it would interrupt the team 5 warmup game unless I can figure out how to get two copies of civstats running. I managed to get two versions of pitboss going already.

We're going to allow an active player to host, right?

If it does come down to me, it would be a good idea to run a test connection game. I have launched two pitboss servers, but not tried to have people connect to both of them. Also, some down time is inevitable, this computer is nowhere near as stable as I'd like and I'm subject to intermittent business travel.

Running 2 instances of civstats is no problem, just start civstats again while instance 1 is running and create a second proflie.

The only worry is running 2 pitboss servers on the same machine at the same time...I have done it in the past and it constantly brought my machine to a crash after a few days of running...

It is imprortant that people do not exit to desktop (but exit to main menu first) after finishing their turns otherwise the connection hangs, transfering a constant stream of data that builds up and overloads the pc.

If you will be running 2 pitbosses, there is a possibility you will need to restart the pc every 3-4 days...

Saying that my 2 games had a total of 28 people playing, so in this case it might not be such a big problem...

It is possible, if you follow the instructions for using different ports for different games(it is in the pitboss forum somewhere). Also possible with civstats.

Only problem is as indiansmoke says that the unstability of the system increases dramatically...

I am looking into the possiblities of getting some other people to host, but no luck so far.

A connection test game is now active.

daveshack.dyndns.org:2057

I recommend not setting a password for these civs, to simplify allowing your team members to login and test their connection. Though you might also just use your team's regular pw.
This is set up as simul turns to allow you to also try out your team's game mechanics, without having to wait up to 4 days.
No civstats at this time, don't want to clog up the civstats server. I trust it will work, as I know a host on Apolyton who is running two games this way.

Connected just fine.
I was the first to log in from our team, so I set a password (DaveShack, you can find it here if you need it.)

I didn't end the turn...

It worked great for me :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave! :thanx:

Looks like we could be on the verge of getting this sucker started for real :dance: ... and before Christmas even! :xmascheers: Who'd have guessed it? ;)

Awesome, glad we seem to have a host sorted. :)

I won't be able to log into the game to check it for another 2 days (because I'm away this weekend), but I'm sure it'll work fine if it's working for everyone else.

I was able to successfully connect for Team 2, if LordParkin isn't available in time and no one else wants it... (plako is good too)

I was able to connect.

Also since there a few people who are new to pitboss. DO NOT EVER EXIT TO DESKTOP WHEN LEAVING THE GAME.

The reason for this is that when you do exit to desktop it leaves the connection hanging and it means that no one else is able to connect to the game. I just had to make that point loud and clear.

DO NOT EVER EXIT TO DESKTOP WHEN LEAVING THE GAME.
Right, good point. I'd forgotten there were a lot of people new to Pitboss who wouldn't know this.

(Instead of exiting to desktop, everyone should always use the "Exit to Main Menu" option when leaving the game.)

I would suggest a stickied thread on how to play a turn in pitboss. Include that point for sure. Explain how to log in, how to exit, how to indicate that you are done, how to save your turn and things like that.

How to make trades in pitboss, how to add to the log file and all the other host of sundry details that are needed for a new turn player.

I don't have the game, so I cannot do this task. But write it for someone like me, new to Civ 4 and not too familiar with all the menus.

Screenshots will help a lot, too.

I second this request.

The reason for this is that when you do exit to desktop it leaves the connection hanging and it means that no one else is able to connect to the game. I just had to make that point loud and clear.
Can we just log back in and then log out properly if we do this accidentally? Will that solve the problem?

As far as I know, it severs the socket from the client's end without clearing it on the server end. So the server socket is no longer waiting for a connection and nobody can get in, including the player who locked it up.

I would suggest a stickied thread on how to play a turn in pitboss. Include that point for sure. Explain how to log in, how to exit, how to indicate that you are done, how to save your turn and things like that.

How to make trades in pitboss, how to add to the log file and all the other host of sundry details that are needed for a new turn player.

I don't have the game, so I cannot do this task. But write it for someone like me, new to Civ 4 and not too familiar with all the menus.

Screenshots will help a lot, too.
If nobody else has done anything by this time tomorrow, I should be able to draft up a quick introduction to Pitboss games. :)

As far as I know, it severs the socket from the client's end without clearing it on the server end. So the server socket is no longer waiting for a connection and nobody can get in, including the player who locked it up.
Sometimes I'm able to log back in when I accidentally exit to desktop. However, that isn't always the case. Better to try to avoid exiting to desktop, all in all. ;)

A connection test game is now active.

daveshack.dyndns.org:2057

I recommend not setting a password for these civs, to simplify allowing your team members to login and test their connection. Though you might also just use your team's regular pw.
This is set up as simul turns to allow you to also try out your team's game mechanics, without having to wait up to 4 days.
No civstats at this time, don't want to clog up the civstats server. I trust it will work, as I know a host on Apolyton who is running two games this way.

This is not the map we are playing...but another test map correct?

Top Bottom