Hull Ship July 13th, 2009

...I like the idea of Vuldacon's Hull ship and I think this would be a good intermediate upgrade and would be more realistic in an epic game like the one I'm creating...

I've been struggling with trying to implement this idea in my scenario. Does anyone have any ideas?

What I would like to do is have a city build the hull ship. Then have a unit that can only be created by upgrading the hull ship that was just built. IOW you cannot directly build the end unit without having a hull ship available to upgrade. Is this even possible?

The hull ship doesn't have to be designated as a King unit in order to be a one-off. If you designate it as non-buildable, but place it on the map in the editor, it can upgrade as soon as the requisite tech is discovered. The unit it upgrades into has to be a King unit because it has to be assigned to that civilization, so designating it as a King limits it to one.

Balthasar... A water vessel cannot be flagged as a King Unit.

Any Unit can be Placed on a Game Map as a "Normal Unit" and can Upgrade. That prevents the Pre-placed unit from being built IF no CIV is Flagged to be able to build it. The other way is to have the Unit Auto-Produced.

That takes care of the unit being built... the Upgrade is the Problem because in order to be able to Upgrade any unit, it must also be able to be built or be a King Unit.

First, let me repeat:I don't know nuttin'. But it seems to be lost that Civinator's CCM mod uses these Hull units. They are auto-produced by a small wonder and upgrade to Carrier units. There appears to be no other way to build Carriers. I'm not sure how this is done but I suspect the device "Hidden Reserve".

Sure you can set a boat as a king unit, King unit under unit abilities, not under AI strategies (I wasn't clear on that). Moosezilla is right, CCM and other scenarios use it. It makes it so a unit can be upgraded to the king unit but the king unit cannot be built directly. Also makes it so the unit shows up on the bottom of the stack. Very useful.

Yes, King Unit can be set under unit abilities but not AI Strategies and that causes the AI to use the Unit as if it is Not a King Unit which I use and like for Units that must have the King Unit setting to prevent building the unit. They are Not King Units to the AI but it is a way to prevent them from being built.

So flag the unit under unit abilities as King and I've got my wish? Brilliant! Thanks guys! I'm assuming then this is possible with Naval units, there was some controversy in the earlier posts but that seems to be moot now.

Moff Jerjerrod... Probably work best if the Hull Ship is Auto-produced then Upgrades to what you want with King Unit set only under unit abilities. You would not be able to set a Naval Unit as a King Unit under AI Strategies anyway :)

In CCM the hulls can upgrade to units w/latest Carrier tech civ has achieved. If other ships are needed another autoproducing SW could be made; or perhaps one could produce more than one kind of "Hull".

But, with "KING" ability you still cannot choose to what unit you will upgrade - just to 1?
If you set up the upgrade paths properly you should be able to upgrade to the civ-specific variants. And, iirc, to units more than one step along the upgrade path as they become available.

Offtop: In Alien Crossfire was an ability, marine detachment - to take aboard enemy naval vessel.
Is it forgotten and abandoned in Civ3?

And some annoying thing: King unit has your leader's name, not units name

King units have the leaders name in certain circumstances. One theory was that if you research a tech on the turn that a king unit is auto-produced or upgraded, it gets the leaders name.

I think king units that upgrade to king units get the leaders name. But non-king units that upgrade to king units, and auto-produced king units should not get the leaders name, but the units name. I think I have that right.

Offtop: In Alien Crossfire was an ability, marine detachment - to take aboard enemy naval vessel.
Is it forgotten and abandoned in Civ3?
Yeap, land units loaded onto sea vessels can only be used for direct combat -you can't even bombard!!

Top Bottom