IndieStone - Visual Tech Tree Editor

It looks like the AssetPath in your registry is pointing to the wrong place. You've mentioned that your copy of CiV is installed in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V', (this looks correct - it's the default path on most PCs) but your AssetPath claims it's in 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam'. Nutty describes how you can change that here.

Nutty's post says that the Registry editor is needed, what exactly is this?

When you first launch the Firaxis Civ5 SDK, it asks you for the paths and adds them to the registry. You either answered it wrong or later moved the install location. Though this is a third-party tool, it uses the same Firaxis registry entries to determine where the Civ5 files are found.

Nutty has answered this above, but in case you're unfamiliar with the registry editor in general: the registry editor (regedit.exe) is a program that comes installed as a part of Windows. It allows you to edit the Windows registry, which stores a bunch of the settings that are configured on your computer.

Could you guys explain how to do this?
Note that it can be dangerous to edit the Registry if you don't know what you're doing (i.e., you can really mess up your Windows installation), but that seems to be your only recourse.

Run regedit.exe, and navigate to the key:
Code:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools
Set the value for ToolAssetPath to your CiV installation folder. It will be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

This picture is pointing to some other keys that need to be changed when the Nexus Asset Viewer needs to be fixed, but it's very similar.

Hi
I have been experiencing some of the same problems that have been reported by some others (Manbob10 an SexyDexy) however I cannot find the tools directory in registry editor. I have included a document with a screenshot of the problem.
Please can you let me know if there is anything I can do to solve this?
Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot of registry editor.pdf
    173.3 KB · Views: 199
Hi
I have been experiencing some of the same problems that have been reported by some others (Manbob10 an SexyDexy) however I cannot find the tools directory in registry editor. I have included a document with a screenshot of the problem.
Please can you let me know if there is anything I can do to solve this?
Thank you
You could make the key (folder) and values manually, but it's created the first time you open one of the SDK tools (I'm not sure which one. You've got the Nexus ones clearly. I thought it was ModBuddy, but I can see you've got a ModBuddy key there already, so maybe it's the Map Editor?).

I've got another problem. Whenever I right click on a blank spot, it does nothing and whenever I double left click the program bugs out and does this
EDIT: Double right clicking causes this as well

Hi
How would I go about making the key (folder) and values manually?
Also my nexus is also not on the right asset path, but I was not aware that this used Nexus?
Thank you for the quick reply!

Hi
How would I go about making the key (folder) and values manually?
Also my nexus is also not on the right asset path, but I was not aware that this used Nexus?
Thank you for the quick reply!
EDIT: Did you open all of the SDK programs at least once? Anyway, to do it manually...

Right click on the Firaxis key, and choose New > Key. Call it Tools.

Then you want a new REG_SZ string value in Tools called ToolAssetPath. Double click on it, and set the path.

As I said, the picture is for fixing Nexus issues, but was otherwise illustrative. I'm pretty sure you're only concerned with ToolAssetPath.

I've got another problem. Whenever I right click on a blank spot, it does nothing and whenever I double left click the program bugs out at does this
EDIT: Double right clicking causes this as well

Wow, that's a bug with a crazy simple repro case! I'm surprised I missed this one before now. Apologies for the problem! I'm working on a fix and hope to have it to you all tomorrow.

And thank you Nutty for answering questions on here even faster than I do! :D

Time for a new version! Available from the same download page as always.

Changes:

• Fixed a crash when double clicking to create a new tech on the tech tree
  • The Editor will now load any icon that you have available in your CiV install (in addition to any provided by mods loaded into the Editor), not just the ones I've explicitly added support for. So no more waiting for me to add specific icons (like for the Enlightenment Era mod) and now you can use all sizes of icons provided by the game.
    • This relies on having the CiV FPKs extracted, which the Editor will now prompt you to do if it discovers you have any FPKs with unextracted contents in your CiV install directory.
    • Extracting the FPKs only needs to be done once on your PC, so you will not need to wait every time you start the Editor.
    • Special thanks to Sterkhov, whose excellent work on dds re-indexing has made it possible for the Editor to load these icons straight out of the game install.
  • Added a 'Help -> About' page with developer information and link to Sterkhov's contributing work.

As always, please post here if you encounter any issues and I'll do my best to address them!

Whenever I right click on a blank spot, it does nothing

Related to this, this behavior is intended. Right clicking on the background of the tech tree doesn't do anything, so it doesn't show the context menu. I suppose creating a new tech could also be a right click menu option, but for now I've left that the same.

Attachments

• extract fpks prompt.PNG
    extract fpks prompt.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 429
  • fpks extracting.PNG
    fpks extracting.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 499
  • about.PNG
    about.PNG
    125 KB · Views: 445
Another new version! Same download link as always!

This time I'm trying to address by far the largest problem that most users seem to run into with the Tech Tree Editor: running it for the first time and having it find their Civ5 install!

Changes:

• The Editor now checks in the frequent install location in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Sid Meier's Civilization V" if it can't find your Civ5 install via the registry.
  • If that fails, the Editor will prompt you to find your Civ5 install folder:
    • Once you have picked the right folder, the Editor will load normally and will remember that folder for future sessions on your PC, so you don't need to find it every time.
      • If you move your Civ5 install folder, the Editor will prompt you again when it can't find the installation in the old location.
    • If you accidentally pick the wrong folder, then it will prompt you again:
    • And if you cancel, then the Editor will close:

Attachments

• Civ5 Install Location Cancel.PNG
    Civ5 Install Location Cancel.PNG
    4.1 KB · Views: 792
  • Civ5 Install Location.PNG
    Civ5 Install Location.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 820
  • Civ5 Install Location Wrong.PNG
    Civ5 Install Location Wrong.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 765
I've been having a great time fiddling around with this, but I'd like to make a suggestion. Is it possible to add a function to lock technology like this:
Spoiler :
It'd be very streamlined and helpful to have an option to do this with a right click or something similar.
I've been attempting to manually delete technologies after the Industrial Era in the Enlightenment Era mod so that I can play a game up until that era but no further. This has resulted in marines spawning when they shouldn't be. Locking the technologies like the photo should eliminate that issue.

Thanks for reading, this mod has been very helpful for me!

Edit the database entry for the tech and flip the <Disable> column (or whatever it's called); but yeah, Zwei mod is already on the workshop.

Hi
My tech tree will only save as an ISMOD file, and so I cannot use it in my mod (because there is no option in the action tab in modbuddy for it). Any ideas about what I should do?

There will be a lot of XML files in the folder where the file was created; add those into your mod.

I've been having a great time fiddling around with this, but I'd like to make a suggestion. Is it possible to add a function to lock technology like this:
Spoiler :
It'd be very streamlined and helpful to have an option to do this with a right click or something similar.
I've been attempting to manually delete technologies after the Industrial Era in the Enlightenment Era mod so that I can play a game up until that era but no further. This has resulted in marines spawning when they shouldn't be. Locking the technologies like the photo should eliminate that issue.

Thanks for reading, this mod has been very helpful for me!

I'm glad the Tech Tree Editor has helped you out! :D

Chrisy15 is right that flipping the value of the Disable column (which you can use the Editor to do if you edit the tech from the right click menu) will achieve this effect in game. It won't show up in the Editor UI though. I'll see if I can do something about that!

Hi
My tech tree will only save as an ISMOD file, and so I cannot use it in my mod (because there is no option in the action tab in modbuddy for it). Any ideas about what I should do?

Next to the ISMOD file (in the same folder on disk), there are a bunch of XML files that contain all of the XML you should need to have your Editor changes reflected in CiV. It's split roughly over category (tech stuff in one file, buildings in another, etc.).

Sorry about asking so many questions, but is there a way to move tech lineage? e.g. theology leads to compass, but it cannot be changed by clicking and dragging. Holding alt and dragging the end of a line will make is go past the end of the tech tree and loop back around and not connect.
If a tech is moved back and moved back forward, its lineage is still the same.

Top Bottom