Jesus thinks I'm a pillock

Jesus is correct: Borachio is a pillock.

• Total voters
Some fish use tools.

Several species of wrasses have been observed using rocks as anvils to crack bivalve (scallops, urchins and clams) shells. It was first filmed [18] in an orange-dotted tuskfish (Choerodon anchorago) in 2009 by Giacomo Bernardi. The fish fans sand to unearth the bivalve, takes it into its mouth, swims several metres to a rock which it uses as an anvil by smashing the mollusc apart with sideward thrashes of the head. This behaviour has been recorded in a blackspot tuskfish (Choerodon schoenleinii) on Australia's Great Barrier Reef, yellowhead wrasse (Halichoeres garnoti) in Florida and a six-bar wrasse (Thalassoma hardwicke) in an aquarium setting. These species are at opposite ends of the phylogenetic tree in this family, so this behaviour may be a deep-seated trait in all wrasses.[115]

It has been reported that freshwater stingrays use water as a tool by manipulating their bodies to direct a flow of water and extract food trapped amongst plants.[116]

Prior to laying their eggs on a vertical rock face, male and female whitetail major damselfish clean the site by sand-blasting it. The fish pick up sand in their mouths and spit it against the rock face. Then they fan the area with their fins. Finally they remove the sand grains that remain stuck to the rock face by picking them off with their mouths.[117]

Banded acara, (Bujurquina vittata), South American cichlids, lays their eggs on a loose leaf. The male and female of a mating pair often “test” leaves before spawning: they pull and lift and turn candidate leaves, possibly trying to select leaves that are easy to move. After spawning, both parents guard the eggs. When disturbed, the parent acara often seize one end of the egg-carrying leaf in their mouth and drag it to deeper and safer locations.[118]

Archerfish are found in the tropical mangrove swamps of India and Australasia. They approach the surface, take aim at insects that sit on plants above the surface, squirt a jet of water at them, and grab them after the insects have been knocked off into the water. The jet of water is formed by the action of the tongue, which presses against a groove in the roof of the mouth. Some archerfish can hit insects up to 1.5 m above the water surface. They use more water, which gives more force to the impact, when aiming at larger prey.

Triggerfish (Pseudobalistes fuscus) blow water to turn sea urchins over and expose their more vulnerable ventral side.

Certainly humanity's use of tools far exceeds that of any other known species. The question is whether there's a qualitative difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_use_by_animals#In_fish

Yes, no doubt.

Link to video.

But then the use of fire by mankind as a tool-altering tool is pretty recent. Unless you talking "merely" in terms of hardening wooden spears, for example.

They do, for example crows and ravens use them too and rather elaborately :)

However i mean that they do not then move on to expand on that periodic use, and advance their species in regards to tools. It would be as if humans just used primitive tools, very minorly altered (ie not fire being utilised for changes), so as to do basic actions, and then not see any more benefit in dealing with those tools.

Even stranger, though, is that some ants have developed a sort of agriculture (fungi) and also a type of domestication (they use a smaller insect for its body products). I wonder how this happened, cause one has to assume it was not so from the start. But then it did not evolve further.

Aliens? ;)
What you're describing is (iirc) called second-order tool use, where a tool is used to make a tool. Yeah, I think there have been a couple examples of apes doing this. Even ancient humans did this. It took a long, long time before people started really building tools upon tools using previous tools.

I did not really mean to specifically refer to tool building using previous tools (although the way i phrased it enabled this missunderstanding :\ ). I meant using tools not just so as to achieve some generic and known goals (eg to move some fruit, or make it fall and so on) but with the 'idea' to drastically change your relation with tools, ie to alter your environment with them and then be ever more into using tools for further change.
Which seems to only have been done by humans.

The thread seems fishy to me.

Adam left an ideology for his family....

Jesus does think you're a pillock, Borachio. But then again, Iusus Xristos Theos Uios Soter is very fond of fish.

^ +1

Ιησούς Χριστός Θεού Υιός Σωτήρ* was formed as a phrase exactly so that its first letters of each word would form the acronym ΙΧΘΥΣ, which is Greek for "fish", and the astrological pisces ;)

* The phrase means "Jesus Christ, God's son, savior".

Jesus does think you're a pillock, Borachio. But then again, Iusus Xristos Theos Uios Soter is very fond of fish.

Um.

There's two ways of taking this. At least.

A pillock, I might point out, is a very small hill. Typically pill-sized.

Here's two of them. Only think a bit smaller, perhaps.

Or is a pillock a kind martial art involving pillows?

Appearances can be deceptive. On the other side, of one of them, lies waiting the girl (or boy) of your dreams. With open arms. And things.

The trick is to pick the right pillock.

Jesus does think you're a pillock, Borachio.

But good news: Jesus likes pillocks. He gave a great "Sermon on the Pillock" (later amped up by his publicists to a "Sermon on a Mount"). Told us how a city on a pillock can't be hid (some translators bring it over as hill). Even died for your sins on a pillock (and, yes, even your sin of loving creatures above their Creator.)

:lol:

There's no fooling you, Mr Grey, is there?

Hmm. I must think up a less than transparent puzzle, now.

Oh, you gave up too soon. I hadn't yet figured out how I was going to argue that Jesus likes you as a pillock when this was our pillock:

180px-Casimir_III_(Civ5).png

So it's a polish monarch.

But which one? Is it Lech or one of the Boleslaw's? Boleslaw the Forgotten looks good.

Ooh. And I see Anjou and Valois had a stab at Polish monarchy at one stage. Those Frenchies get everywhere.

Even without identifying him, you should be able to work it out from what you already know about this figure and your own schema for defining pillocks.

Top Bottom