Karls Lovely Guide To Cheating

Chill out people-whether you cheat or not is upto you, the bloke was just telling you how. Whether you actually do is of course up to you, people find different things enjoyable.

Come on! You guys can't tell me that none of you have ever gotten mad at another civ because he declared war on you suddenly and then raped you into oblivion. Nothing is more fun than nuking that bastard in 3000 B.C. or devouring him with millions of lions. :evil:

I can tell you right now that weathering his assault and counterattacking to eventually destroy his civ is far more satisfying.

Where's the feeling of satisfaction if you haven't earnt your victory? I've never used, or been tempted to use, the worldbuilder in civ4.

Codeman said:
why read a book, watch game, etc. if you already know the ending?
You've never reread, rewatched or replayed something you've already finished??

Kikitone said:
Now Jonny, remember when your playing with your army men your cheating if you make them fly, they cant do that unless you but the army men with the jetpacks. So if I see you making those army men fly that's no dessert tonight.
GREAT POINT! :goodjob:

i can't even believe people care that much if someone else is cheating.

to all the "you can't cheat" yokels: Playing the game 'as is' and playing w/cheats are both enjoyable and satfisying, ya dolts ~ they're just different kinds of enjoyment ~ who're you to decide which one is better for someone? get a life.

Codeman said:
what's the point in playing if you already know the outcome? why read a book, watch game, etc. if you already know the ending? no thanks, i enjoy the thrill to much to start a game knowing i will have unlimited money, production and my units are unstoppable. granted, this is a goal, but to earn it is rewarding when cheating isn't.

You mean you've NEVER watched a movie more than once, just because it's a wonderful film even though you knew the outcome already? You've NEVER reread a favorite book to relive or get a better understanding of it? Whether it's Lord of the Rings in book (read 6 times) or movie (4-5 for each segment) form, the Holy Bible and Book of Mormon (which I reread every year and learn more from every time), Shakespeare's better plays, or reruns of Star Trek, there's a lot of enjoyment to be gained from things where you already know the outcome.

Though I haven't used WorldBuilder or these cheat codes ever, I can envision enjoying a game on what I would probably term "fantasy" mode as long as it's not for HoF. It's heroic to beat a really hard game, but I'd have to argue that actually being able to change the order of the world is a little more like being "deity" than many of the deity strategy guides I've read here that only work for a specific start and can't adjust themselves to any other eventuality ["If you don't start with marble on a hill underneath your settler by the light of a full moon, reload."]

I agree that I prefer working for my mighty empire, but that doesn't mean someone else might not enjoy playing fantasy deity in the privacy of their own home, and I'm not convinced yet that reloading a thousand maps to get the only one you can win on so you can get onto the Hall of Fame isn't just as much cheating.

Derrill

All this cheats-talking makes me think of when I was trying out an early-quechua-rush strategy a while ago.

I reloaded the map several times before I got a spot I could accept. Is that cheating - of course its within the rules of (a standard singleplayer) game, but I think it is to bend the rules and taylor the game to fit my own demands, only because I'm not good enough to win regularly on Immortal. Ie. I can't win with the map I'm given.

I feel the same about the barbs - the first game I tried, I got kicked by them, so since that I've swithed off those savages...That goes for picking your favorite civ as well.
Could you pull off an early Warrior-rush if you hadn't had that particular UU? It would indeed be cool :)

My most optimal game would be some kind of "Mother of all-random Setting". I feel I should be (or at least I would like to be) capable of winning with whatever terms I'm given from the beginning.

But maybe it's all up to the reason behind choosing some setting. I chose the Incas to make a quechua-rush because it made the game easier, I dont think I would have made it this far in my Immortal-game without quechuas.

But then again, the experience makes you stronger! Mayby some day I'll manage to kill both 15 other civs AND take care of the barbarians as well...

If everything was random we would need any strategies.

Orlen said:
I can tell you right now that weathering his assault and counterattacking to eventually destroy his civ is far more satisfying.

Both are quite satisfying, IMO. :)

Well, despite all the accusations of cheating, etc., it's actually a really good tip for scenario-builders and idea-testers--definitely quicker than Worldbuilder (and its inevitable Lion).

No replies in a few days... Is this thread dead? Hope not as I wanted to join in the argument!

There seems to be a strong, but often hypocritical, holier-than-thou mentality by many of us regarding the circumstances by which the game is played. My thoughts:
1.) With the exception of competition and bragging rights in the hall of fame, it is of no concern to anyone how anyone else played the game. The discussion is about a form of entertainment, and anyone who paid the exhorbitant amount of cash for the game should be able to enjoy it in the manner that pleases them without public scrutiny.
2.) As hinted to throughout the article, cheating occurs more in terms of degree rather than the presence or absense of it. World-Building an extra worker in, hammering Gandhi with Praets, starting with better resources, or even maximizing the advantages of stronger civs are all manipulations that make victory easier. The vast majority of the strategies listed throughout the forums are methods of exploitation; the level that a player can dominate correlates directly to how much the player manipulates the settings.

Although I wouldn't personally consider using codes to cheat, I have no problem admitting that I manipulate the settings. I save at 4000 BC and scout out to ensure that the resources I need to enjoy the game are present. This is in direct response to my first Prince attempt in which, as Genghis, my borders met quickly with Tokugawa, Alexander and Caesar and both horses and iron were on the other side of the border. After spending a few days in a meticulous defensive stance, I found it to simply not be fun.

One of the points that seems to be lost regarding cheating and "lucky starts" is that one immortal game's victory is met with (often extreme) difference in diffulty than anothers. That being said, I would LOVE for an addition to be made in the Hall of Fame where we could see screenshots (or preferably download saves) from various points in the campaign. Even looking at the civs starting location would give a great idea of how glorious the win was.

During one of my first attempts at Prince difficulty, I became so enthralled when my army of infantry marched against a city of archers. Then I looked at my capital, with its 4 ivory and a pig resource, and realized this was the only reason I was able to do so.

I think the last time I cheated in a game was when I used the 'Call Cousin Vinnie' Cheat in SimCity 3000 - about 5 years ago. Since then I've been clean.

Despite the cheat-free life I've led for the last few years I find myself agreeing with the 'why does it matter?' camp on this one. It IS a game, and thus all that matters is the gamer's enjoyment. If you find it fun to actually nuke someone into the stoneage rather than just using that phrase as a metaphor - I can't see anything wrong with that. The game's there for your enjoyment - and as long as you aren't lying to anyone (including yourself) about it, it's fine.

Can anyone please tell me where I can find this ini file, and would I need a special program to edit the lines? Thanks!

I think I may have found the file. Is it under the Warlords folder in a (shortcut) folder called _Civ4Config ? I clicked on that and it opens a notepad with the file name CivilizationIV.ini

Am I right so far? Then just before the [DEBUG] heading, I changed the CheatCode to

; Move along
CheatCode = chipotle

I saved the changes and went back to my game. I can't enable any of the cheats! :confused:

What did I do wrong? And I don't see the part that says "don't enable lock modified assets" in the CivilizationIV.ini file.

Please help!

Don't lose sight of how much you experienced guys have inside your heads already. Civ4 is incredibly complex and newcomers have a real hard time grasping the basics let alone playing competently. I've been playing a game a day for nearly 2 weeks now and still haven't been able to win a Noble game. I have a lot to learn and not so much time to learn ... a couple of hours a day is all I can average.

These game settings are quite useful to a person in my position. To all you veterans who don't see the point, think outside your world of knowledge, skill and experience for a moment or two. As a person learns to play, sometimes it is much more efficient to test your understanding of a city build or unit strategy by putting it in place with these 'cheats', rather than taking an hour or more to set it all up, only to discover the idea was useless because you misunderstood the game mechanics. Then I can say to myself; "ohhh so that's what researching that line of techs can do, or that's what building a city there can achieve, or THAT's how well a stack of these units will perform against a stack of those units"

Think of these game switches as an extended tutorial :)

Top Bottom