Learn How To F***'n Drive

I've had it, I am going to loose it. I swear. I hate morons in Vancouver, Nobody knows what a stop sign is. In the past month I've been cut off too many times to count. I've Seen 5 people run stop signs. One of those people almost killed me yesterday. They guy stopped one foot away from my car. Ugh, not much else I can say. But Learn how to drive, I am getting fed up, I dont want to die by the age of 18 in a car accident, that is not my fault. I don't want to die in an accident that is my fault either, but so far i have a clean record in driving, and well i want to keep it that way. So how bad is driving in your area?

The thing that pisses me off is that there is a 4way stop next to a school play gournd, and a corner store and this is happening there. And about 30 meters downhill there is a 3 way stop where i saw someone go through at 50 KPH without an attempt at stopping. I mean come on, i know that courtesy on the road is all but gone, BUT since when is obeying stop signs gone? I mean when are people going to start going through red lights when they think that they can 'beat' traffic going purpendicular to them?

Go to Greece or Italy, that'll show you what bad driving really is. It's bad enough in France, but in Italy and Greece I don't know why they bother even erecting road signs.

Even though I'm from the Southern US ...but thanks to TV shows like the Dukes of Hazard....most people in my area can drive. :D

The biggest problem you will see at a 4 way stop in my area...No one understands if you arrive at the stop sign before the other three drivers...you have the right of way. I cannot count the times I have waited on someone with the 'right of way' (meaning they were there first) to go.

Originally posted by Xiahou-Dun
The biggest problem you will see at a 4 way stop in my area...No one understands if you arrive at the stop sign before the other three drivers...you have the right of way. I cannot count the times I have waited on someone with the 'right of way' (meaning they were there first) to go.

:lol: I've seen that problem. My solution is to bump the accellerator to get the car moving then hit the brakes, so my car only moves forward a foot or two. Generally I've found that when one car starts to move, the others will too. It doesn't make a bit of sense, but it seems to work that way more often than not. :crazyeye:

Ugh, don't get me started on four-way stops. I'm the only person in my entire city who knows how they are supposed to work. Well, it seems that way most of the time, anyway.

Compared to some places I've been, drivers in Alaska are, I suppose, not that bad. I've seen traffic conditions in places like Italy that would make me give up automobiles forever and spend the rest of my days on foot. Still, knowing that it's better here is small consolation when I'm actually out on the roads trying to go somewhere.

And winters are the worst. You'd think people in wintery regions would quickly adapt to such driving conditions and therefore become proficient at it. Not even close. Brief as our summers are, somehow during the course of them everyone in the state except me forgets how to drive in the winter. It's insane the number of accidents we always get after the first snow comes. And if, by some freak of nature, the first snow melts and we have a bonus week of decent roads, as soon as it snows again everyone forgets anew. Heaven forbid anyone should just bite the bullet, leave home early to give themselves time, and slow down. I don't care if you do have studs on your tires, and frankly, the snow doesn't either.

But it's like my father says, "When you're driving, always assume that everyone else can't, and that therefore you have to drive for them."

"The biggest problem you will see at a 4 way stop in my area...No one understands if you arrive at the stop sign before the other three drivers...you have the right of way. I cannot count the times I have waited on someone with the 'right of way' (meaning they were there first) to go."

So you guys control traffic flows at crossroads simply by relying on others to give way??? MADNESS - at all but a few lonely rural locations, crossroads are controlled by traffic lights (or there's a roundabout) and apart from people trying to sneak thru just as they're changing from amber to red, I hardly ever see people ignoring the lights. Maybe we're not as manly and daring as you guys ;)

Originally posted by Rodgers
So you guys control traffic flows at crossroads simply by relying on others to give way??? MADNESS - at all but a few lonely rural locations, crossroads are controlled by traffic lights (or there's a roundabout) and apart from people trying to sneak thru just as they're changing from amber to red, I hardly ever see people ignoring the lights. Maybe we're not as manly and daring as you guys ;)

Welcome to the suburbs. And as far as that bit about lonely rural locations go, I'm guessing there are a few more of those in the US and Canada than in the UK. ;)

Seriously though, traffic lights are expensive, and when you have as many roads as we do, on the busy intersections will get one. Of couse that means every single one in a city on main roads, but in a neighborhood that sees 10 cars per hour through an intersection, a light is a bit extravagant.

i want to know what a 4 way stop is. Here at an intersection, the minor road will have stop or give way signs, and they have to give way to the main road traffic. Otherwise, the one turning left has right of way (remember that we drive on the left)

Originally posted by Rodgers
"The biggest problem you will see at a 4 way stop in my area...No one understands if you arrive at the stop sign before the other three drivers...you have the right of way. I cannot count the times I have waited on someone with the 'right of way' (meaning they were there first) to go."

:D 4 way stop =" first come first serve". :D

I work in Pensacola, Fl.. pop 412,153, and in the city at the main thruaways you will find red lights.....but off the main path are 4 ways. Some as knowltok2 said will only get a certain amount of cars per hour...while there are some..(like in front of where I work) that at different times get untold amounts..school letting out and 5 o' clock quiting time being the worst time to even think of going towards the 4 way stop. At these times it's worth driving three or four blocks out of the way to get where you need to be. The main thing to learn...watch the other drivers...expect them not to know how to drive and you can avoid most, if not all accidents.

Last time I was in France, I saw a type of junction that fortunately does not exist in the UK. Two roads feeding in to a slip road that was coming off the motorway. Not only did you have to look to the right-hand lane of the one-way street you're leaving, you also had to look to the right to see if anything was coming off the other road, plus looking over your left shoulder to see if anyone was exiting the motorway. If there were someone, they would be doing at least 50mph too.

It was one of those junctions where you look in every direction, realise that it's impossible, and just have to 'go and hope'.

Here in Baltimore, the big problem is people running red lights. I like to sit in traffic and count how many people tear through an intersection after the light has turned red; on average, at least two r three people go through after it's changed. This is begging to die in a horrific accident. Things have improved recently with the introduction of these new cameras they have posted at busy intersections. They activate when the light turns red and snap pictures of anybody who goes through. Then they track you down using your license plate and mail you a ticket. A lot of people have complained that these cameras are unnecessary and a violation of our constitutional rights to privacy. These people are the ones who have been caught by the stupid things. :lol:

Originally posted by Furry Spatula
One of those people almost killed me yesterday. They guy stopped one foot away from my car.

I'm sorry I was tired that day. I normally drive better

Originally posted by Pillager
Last time I was in France, I saw a type of junction that fortunately does not exist in the UK. Two roads feeding in to a slip road that was coming off the motorway. Not only did you have to look to the right-hand lane of the one-way street you're leaving, you also had to look to the right to see if anything was coming off the other road, plus looking over your left shoulder to see if anyone was exiting the motorway. If there were someone, they would be doing at least 50mph too.

It was one of those junctions where you look in every direction, realise that it's impossible, and just have to 'go and hope'.

I don't success to figure how this place looked like.
Would you mind to post a picture or a drawing ?

When I was in Europe, people pointed to Italy as the bad example. In Italy, they all pointed to Naples. For Neapolitans (aside: why is a resident of Naples a Neapolitan? I think the Italians have it right: the city is Napoli, a resident is a Napolitano.) all the signs, lights, etc. are simply suggestions, and are cheerfully ignored.

After living in Naples for two years, I got home to Omaha, only to discover that in my absence, Omahans had been studying Neapolitan driving techniques! Aargh!

I love people who elect to use cellphones while operating a potentially-lethal object.

I love 'em.

Really.

I drive in the boston area and I would find it hard to believe that there are less respectable drivers than the ones we got around here......though I certainly could be wrong.

Red light = atleast 3 more seconds to pass through.
Stop Sign = yield
Yield sign = Go, and make whoevers in the lane yield to you...

Thankfully I'm moving soon. :cool:

Top Bottom