Little things you'd like to see in Civilization VII

Some of the denizen classes that you mentioned I believe shouldn't be pigeonholed into one yield. Scholars I could see producing both science and culture, similar to what Pingala does.
Citizens pigeonholed into one yield reminds of Colonization.

Some of the denizen classes that you mentioned I believe shouldn't be pigeonholed into one yield. Scholars I could see producing both science and culture, similar to what Pingala does.
Would not be the point of a citizen class system be that you if you want multiple types of yields from a citizen you don't give them a specialty?

To clarify must remeber my modification of the traditional CIV stadistics system, that want to provide each one their own way to be generated and applied, not just "mana" of different colors used in the same way.

- FOOD, as population sustentation and growth. The population consume each turn X amount of food and the surplur determines the rate of population increase. Deployed armies have a higger rate of comsumption. If food production is under consumption the population stop growing, lost bonus provided, immigrate to other civs and finally rebel. So is the more fundamental need of your population to be happy and thrive.

- PRODUCTION, is your cities capacity to transform resources and turn them into infrastructure, vehicles, equipment and manufactured goods. So production come from your laborers and their efficiency is determined by their number, their satisfaction, your technologies, raw materials avaibility, industrial facilities and policies. So production is not "consumed" but "used" each turn (time) by a number of queues per city, this would help for a viable "tall gameplay" of efficient high production capacity cities.

- WEALTH, the true currency in-game, used as common unit to pay for most units and buildings, also to buy resources, territory, techs and others diplomatic actions like war reparations. Taxation, trade routes and corporations are the regular source of wealth, natural resources and manufactured goods are part of it but the number of the ones that gives you wealth directly should be limited (like precious metal mines and cash crops plantations).

- CULTURE, as an influence measurement, the appeal of your Ideologies with denizens (own and foreign) over the ideologies of others civs. This cover al ideological aspect of the game (heritage/religion/goverment) and comes from cultural products (Textiles, Ceramics, Jewelry, Movies, Cuisine, etc.), cultural buildings (included wonders), great people (and their Great Works), and expand through trade routes, religion, mass media and tourism.
New ideologies themselves are generated by "inspiration-like" mission that triggers decision events (with multiple options), then ideologies spread between denizens (these also have relevant value for diplomatic interactions).

- SCIENCE, is the progress that starts to be generated when each of your Research Lines is asigned with a project to develop a technology from the Tech-Tree, so the ammount of science is NOT spent by the new Technology researched, on the contrary the science is produced by the research and when finalized this amount is added to your global accumluated of science to achieve milestones that unlock additional Research Lines and allows to Advance Era.
You start with just one Research Line but later get more, and their projects are not only to investigate new techs from the Tech-Tree, but also Academic Grant (attract Great people like Scientists, Engineers, Philosophers and Artists), School Specialization (provide temporal bonus to certain areas like Agronomy to Food, Economy to Wealth, Theology to Religion,etc.) Expedition (to find cultural artifacts and natural specimens) Selective Breeding (improve and/or create copies of crops and livestock resources) and build parts of the Science victory mechanism.

NOTE, that Culture and Science are not just two different "tech trees" like in CIV6. I know many people would like to mix both in a general Knowledge model, that is a valid option, but since CIV use to have them as roads to two different victory types I decided to keep the CIV traditional split into art centered culture and technological centered science.
Anyway the interaction between culture and science would still be present in many ways like the just mentioned School Specializations (could be named Academies or Institutes). Also like said, "science"(technology) would keep the traditional tech tree, progressive and cumulative design, while culture is more about influence and its relation to few but more dynamic, significative, specialized and narrative ideological changes.

Other example of the why of my denizens clases are CIVs great people they can produce:
Labourers > Great Engineer​
Clerics > Great Prophet​
Merchants > Great Impresario​
Artisans > Great Artist​
Scholars > Great Scientist​
Warriors > Great Official​
So every denizen type have a great person.

Last edited:
'Berserk" is one of those words/concepts that always seemed inherently suspicious, because I have read 'explanations' that say it means "without a shirt" (fighting naked) or "bear shirt" (fighting in animal skins) or "without wits" (fighting crazy). That many different meanings usually means that the 'historians' have no flipping idea what it means and are guessing. The explanation I have read that makes the most sense (to me, at least) is that it was their enemies' explanation for the ferocity of the initial Viking assault, which was as fierce as they could manage because they were raiders - had to move fast, grab the loot and get away rather than staying around fighting all day, which might be fun to the psychopaths among them but wasn't very productive otherwise.

I told you the truth

Since you're not a thousand years old, presumably, and did not actually witness berserker heading into battle yourself, your idea of the truth would be just as much the speculation of historians as any other.

I don't know if I've said this before, but I would like a return of the 'Puppet' option from Civ5, and not just for captured cities, I don't want to personally manage every city in my empire

One should simulate all the economic and political aspects of a society to simulate revolts , wars , revolutions , coups , statuses . Because if the maps rle society change, the factors, economic and political remain, although in shape. And different times

One should simulate all the economic and political aspects of a society to simulate revolts , wars , revolutions , coups , statuses . Because if the maps rle society change, the factors, economic and political remain, although in shape. And different times
“Simulating all the socioeconomic aspects of human history” isn’t exactly a “little thing you’d like to see.”

To give everybody an idea of what this entails, 'way back about 1966 I was part of a group (originally based out of Stanford University) that proposed to recreate ALL the aspects of World War Two. This, of course, was well before computers were readily available, so there was a set of rule books, totalling about 75mm high (3 inches) and several hundred pages. Each nation was played by a team that included an Economics Coordinator, Political Leader, and representatives of all the branches of their military and political leadership. The team playing Germany, for instance, had 7 members, and it was not the largest team - that was the USA, whose Economics man needed at least one assistant and also had separate player-representatives for each Political Party as well as the Army, Navy, Army Air Force, and Marine Corps - I think they ended up with 10 people, but I'm not sure at this remove what the duties of the 10th person were.

Despite signing up well over 40 participants, the game/exercise never even got started, because the sheer mass of all the factors overwhelmed the people trying to run it, let alone the burden on the players. Today, in theory at least, computers could handle a lot of that, IF you could find (and Fund) the team needed to program it into the computers in the first place.

- And this was an attempted simulation of 'all the socioeconomic factors' of just a small number of representative states for 6 years in a single Era!

I'd like to see something between regular unit animation and quick move. That's probably not a little thing. I enjoy full animation it makes for a long game, and you can't really play multiplayer with it on.
Each nation was played by a team that included an Economics Coordinator, Political Leader, and representatives of all the branches of their military and political leadershi
I could see a co-op mode for civ where two players control one civ. You would have a later era start with more starting units (or just give more units to a regular start) to give two people enough to do. I don't know if it would be popular enough to get fir axis to put the time into developing. The other issue is finding two people who both can devote the time to a civ game.

I'd like to see something between regular unit animation and quick move. That's probably not a little thing. I enjoy full animation it makes for a long game, and you can't really play multiplayer with it on.
Sounds like a little thing to me.

Civ5 has slower unit animation than 6, so much so that it's very noticeable when switching between the two games

I don't know if I've said this before, but I would like a return of the 'Puppet' option from Civ5, and not just for captured cities, I don't want to personally manage every city in my empire

There is a mod for this for Civ6, but it’s part of a larger mod that is now abandoned

Colony and Empire

The mod author had given permissions for someone else to update the mod, or split the components out

To clarify must remeber my modification of the traditional CIV stadistics system, that want to provide each one their own way to be generated and applied, not just "mana" of different colors used in the same way.

- FOOD, as population sustentation and growth. The population consume each turn X amount of food and the surplur determines the rate of population increase. Deployed armies have a higger rate of comsumption. If food production is under consumption the population stop growing, lost bonus provided, immigrate to other civs and finally rebel. So is the more fundamental need of your population to be happy and thrive.

- PRODUCTION, is your cities capacity to transform resources and turn them into infrastructure, vehicles, equipment and manufactured goods. So production come from your laborers and their efficiency is determined by their number, their satisfaction, your technologies, raw materials avaibility, industrial facilities and policies. So production is not "consumed" but "used" each turn (time) by a number of queues per city, this would help for a viable "tall gameplay" of efficient high production capacity cities.

- WEALTH, the true currency in-game, used as common unit to pay for most units and buildings, also to buy resources, territory, techs and others diplomatic actions like war reparations. Taxation, trade routes and corporations are the regular source of wealth, natural resources and manufactured goods are part of it but the number of the ones that gives you wealth directly should be limited (like precious metal mines and cash crops plantations).

- CULTURE, as an influence measurement, the appeal of your Ideologies with denizens (own and foreign) over the ideologies of others civs. This cover al ideological aspect of the game (heritage/religion/goverment) and comes from cultural products (Textiles, Ceramics, Jewelry, Movies, Cuisine, etc.), cultural buildings (included wonders), great people (and their Great Works), and expand through trade routes, religion, mass media and tourism.
New ideologies themselves are generated by "inspiration-like" mission that triggers decision events (with multiple options), then ideologies spread between denizens (these also have relevant value for diplomatic interactions).

- SCIENCE, is the progress that starts to be generated when each of your Research Lines is asigned with a project to develop a technology from the Tech-Tree, so the ammount of science is NOT spent by the new Technology researched, on the contrary the science is produced by the research and when finalized this amount is added to your global accumluated of science to achieve milestones that unlock additional Research Lines and allows to Advance Era.
You start with just one Research Line but later get more, and their projects are not only to investigate new techs from the Tech-Tree, but also Academic Grant (attract Great people like Scientists, Engineers, Philosophers and Artists), School Specialization (provide temporal bonus to certain areas like Agronomy to Food, Economy to Wealth, Theology to Religion,etc.) Expedition (to find cultural artifacts and natural specimens) Selective Breeding (improve and/or create copies of crops and livestock resources) and build parts of the Science victory mechanism.

NOTE, that Culture and Science are not just two different "tech trees" like in CIV6. I know many people would like to mix both in a general Knowledge model, that is a valid option, but since CIV use to have them as roads to two different victory types I decided to keep the CIV traditional split into art centered culture and technological centered science.
Anyway the interaction between culture and science would still be present in many ways like the just mentioned School Specializations (could be named Academies or Institutes). Also like said, "science"(technology) would keep the traditional tech tree, progressive and cumulative design, while culture is more about influence and its relation to few but more dynamic, significative, specialized and narrative ideological changes.

Other example of the why of my denizens clases are CIVs great people they can produce:
Labourers > Great Engineer​
Clerics > Great Prophet​
Merchants > Great Impresario​
Artisans > Great Artist​
Scholars > Great Scientist​
Warriors > Great Official​
So every denizen type have a great person.
If you simulate economics, politics, you can simulate revolutions, and the possibilities of war, scientific discoveries are also affected

What would really be nice to see is how good a AI civilization is doing when you meet the leader. Like in civilization 1, you can see how a civilization is doing from the background because the leader would be accompanied by others who just gather in the background. I guess its not important but it would be nice to see all the people in the background gathered in the background behind the leader when you talk to them. The more powerful the civilization, the more people would be in the background, just like in civilization 1.

What would really be nice to see is how good a AI civilization is doing when you meet the leader. Like in civilization 1, you can see how a civilization is doing from the background because the leader would be accompanied by others who just gather in the background. I guess its not important but it would be nice to see all the people in the background gathered in the background behind the leader when you talk to them. The more powerful the civilization, the more people would be in the background, just like in civilization 1.
We have the leader progress ribbons in the UI in civ 6. That tells you everything at a glance. I hope that idea returns.

i want the ability to play as realistic explorations of other sapient races, and expand from there how it would change society.
For instance, sapient non avian dinosaurs.
Or sapient arthopods.
Or sapient echinoderms.

Attachments

• 1701143660668.png
    1701143660668.png
    216.1 KB · Views: 8
We have the leader progress ribbons in the UI in civ 6. That tells you everything at a glance. I hope that idea returns.
Yeah that's a good idea but idk it looked nice having people in the background when their empire was strong. Now, they all look lonely by themselves and puny.

Yeah that's a good idea but idk it looked nice having people in the background when their empire was strong. Now, they all look lonely by themselves and puny.
The more I think about this idea (changing backgrounds), the more I like it. Yes, Civ6 put a lot of effort into animating the leader's head/face/body for different interactions -- declaration of war, denouncing, making a deal -- and the background is very plain. Nothing changes to indicate whether the civ is at war, nearly broke / swimming in gold, has prosperous cities or down to its last city.
For my personal tastes, I would be satisfied with less movement in the leader's body animations and instead show some changes in the background to reflect changes in the civ's current state. I have a vague recollection of the background for Askia (leader for Songhai) in Civ5 changing; I remember seeing more fire in the background when they were at war and less when they were at peace. Perhaps 3 static backrounds behind the leader: standard/normal, opulent or decorated when the empire is prospering, with happy people behind, ripped/bare/trashed when the empire is in trouble.
To be honest, I enjoyed the changes in the Civ3 leader *heads* with the four eras. Yes, they were simple changes, with much less of the leader to show, and they were not dynamic or animated. But I liked them. I like them more than having the Exact. Same. Interaction. with a leader in 500 BCE, 1000 CE, and 1500 CE. I didn't play Civ1 though I watched people play, looking over their shoulder. I remember seeing the advisors in the background reflect a more military government or democratic peace. Having minor changes in the background to reflect the current state in that Civ's government, era, or prosperity, would appeal to me.

Top Bottom