Little things you'd like to see in Civilization VII

Mocking other people's interests is hardly likely to change their minds, either.

Though, properly, Xerxes should have been dressed in the robes and turban of an Islamic Republic Ayatollah, or the dressed up military uniform of a Pahlavi Shah in the modern era, as just one example.
I believe the turban and robes of the Iranian clergy are mostly inspired by Arab/Islamic influence. And the Pahlavi were extreme Westerners, à la Peter I of Russia, yet paradoxically promoted the Sassanian nation-myth for the Iranian state.

There does arise this problem that cultures are always influenced by other cultures. If you take most leaders, you would find that their outfit is to varying degrees influenced by influences foreign to their culture and/or polity. Peter in Civ 6 is a good example, and Poundmaker another...

I don't remember where I was going with this, so I'll stop here. Return to it later when my head's clearer

I believe the turban and robes of the Iranian clergy are mostly inspired by Arab/Islamic influence. And the Pahlavi were extreme Westerners, à la Peter I of Russia, yet paradoxically promoted the Sassanian nation-myth for the Iranian state.

There does arise this problem that cultures are always influenced by other cultures. If you take most leaders, you would find that their outfit is to varying degrees influenced by influences foreign to their culture and/or polity. Peter in Civ 6 is a good example, and Poundmaker another...

I don't remember where I was going with this, so I'll stop here. Return to it later when my head's clearer
There are two sides to the 'influences on clothing' question.

On the one hand, there is unmistakable direct influence between and among different cultural/ethnic/political groups - the modern era spread of 'western' suits as standard attire for men is a good example.

On the other hand, there are only so many ways you can drape a human form before they start to look similar. I still remember a costume design expert (theatre) remarking that all clothing boils down to either fitted around the arms and or legs or draped over them - shirt/pants or toga/tunic in other words. And even more to the point, men and women have been dug out of bogs in northern Europe where the nature of the bog preserved organic material like clothing pretty well, and one archeologist involved pointed out that one "bog woman's" woman's dress, cleaned up, could go into any store window on Fifth Avenue in New York City without being out of place at all. 4 - 5000 years of time has, effectively, made no difference in the clothing style!

Finally, in addition to influences between peoples, there are cultural influences within peoples that greatly affect what and how clothing is worn. Famously, the Greeks considered that anyone wearing pants or trousers must be a Barbarian (Non-Greek, specifically). This had less to do with culture than it did with practicality: trousers protect the legs from being rubbed raw while riding a horse all the time, so people wearing such garments (Scythians, Sarmatians) were horse pastoralists and NOT settled Greek farmers: Culture followed the pants, so to speak. No matter how practical trousers might have been for Greek cavalry also riding horses, no self-respecting Greek would wear them.

Pants also help when walking in taller grass keeping burs, other sharp seeds, and ticks off the skin.
It is no accident that the Mediterranean climate/biome in which the pantless Greeks thrived doesn't have a lot of tall grass . . .

You should be able to change your capital at cost of stability or administrative mana or something
In Civ2 and Civ3 (and I think Civ1) you build a, "Palace," improvement in another city, and when it's complete, your capital moves to that city. You could also engineer that capture of your capital in war, but the new capital was kind of randomly determined.

In Civ2 and Civ3 (and I think Civ1) you build a, "Palace," improvement in another city, and when it's complete, your capital moves to that city. You could also engineer that capture of your capital in war, but the new capital was kind of randomly determined.
Yes! And the reason this worked was that the domination victory condition was defined differently in those games. The phrase "original capital" had almost no meaning.
  • In Civ1 and Civ2, conquest/domination meant eliminating all opposing civs.
  • In Civ3 and Civ4, we have two military ways to win:
    • Conquest: eliminate all of your opponents
    • Domination: your civ controls X % of the land and Y% of all the population, where X and Y depended on map size, IIRC
In addition, with Civ4 BTS you could make another civ into a vassal state: no longer independent, would join you in wars, you could direct their research, have advantageous trades. Their territory and pop counted towards your domination victory. If you eliminated or vassalized everyone else, you win by conquest.

Enabling ctrl-S as a shortcut to save the game. After doing a quick save, immediately return to the game without asking met to click "Return to Game."

I've not found it. I'm pretty sure that I tried typing ctrl-S and it didn't work; I will try again.

Quick Save - Each time I hit ESC to bring up the menu, then click on QuickSave, I am returned to the menu. I have to explicitly click "Return to Game." Again, if it's possible to enable it in the options, then I'll do it.

Both of these are the default in Beyond Earth, which I still play... that's why they're at the top of my lists.

I would like to see more realism, both in terms of graphics and mechanics. Some visual upscaling is good, but mechanically, I want things like movement and military costs to be more realistic. Unrealistic aspects that should remain are our ability as players to act like gods and decide the overall structures and decisions of the land's people.

I don't like that all the barbarians are automatically at war with you all the time, and 'barbarians' is a weird term. Let there just be different tribal villages with different ways of life. I want the main focus of the game to be advancing through innovations, building our land, exploring the world, meeting other peoples, and handling relations between different lands and peoples, not fighting barbarians for eternity.

I want to learn about innovations that have happened in history while playing this game with a highly detailed innovation tree inspired by realism. This means that the innovation tree is probably affected by what the people of the lands you are a god over have seen and learned so far.

I've not found it. I'm pretty sure that I tried typing ctrl-S and it didn't work; I will try again.
The hotkey isn't ctrl+S, I think it's F10, although I haven't played the game in a while, so I don't remember for sure. Anyhow, you can toggle key bindings to your preferences in the options

Add assignable shortcuts to the top menu to star single player game. I know it's not that hard to set up a new game but it would be a nice QOL feature.

Fill in the "missing" buttons. An example of a "missing" button in civ 6 is that I can't purchase a tile and improve it in one click.

Separate war and peace themes. It's so jarring to have a joyful dancing tune in the middle of ww2.

The endgame civs being divided between three ideologies like in civ5 (capitalism, communism and fascism), and said ideological divide naturally generating interesting endgame by breaking old friendships, generating new alliances, giving birth to revolutions and world wars. And cold wars, nuke, threats, espionage, you know - all things which made 20th century so dramatic, and which are all somehow absent in those games.

EDIT
I forgot to add: choosing one of those three ideologies changes the way your economy works.

Last edited:
The initial factors of the Infantry would be only marginally better than the Rifleman (the rifles are a little better and faster firing than previous breechloaders and each battalion has 2 - 4 machineguns added), but they could very quickly be Upgraded with Machinegun Companies, squad automatic weapons (by 1918 Everybody had them), light and medium Mortars, and even Infantry Guns - very light and short-ranged 37mm to 75mm 'pack' weapons for direct support.
Even without any change to the basic rifle, the Infantry firepower man for man more than doubles in the 20 years after 1915 with all the potential Upgrades to the individual Units.
Isn't that regimental pack guns also having innate Antitank capabilities or these were also upgrades of the 30s?

Top Bottom