Votes: 55 56.1%
  • Good

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Fair

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Constructive criticism is good, and I am not the mod-maker anyway. I was just curious what you thought might be better, and thought if you specified what you would change, that would give ROTCWinter something to look into. Most modmakers are willing to hear constructive criticism so they can improve the mod.

So far, I really have enjoyed the mod. It captures the LOTR feel way better than any other C3C mod I have played. It's not perfect, but very good IMHO. I will put together a full list of suggestions myself in the next few days, but I want to get more playtime with the different civs. The things I would like to see more of at this point are documentation and technologies. I know these things are very time-consuming though.

Overall I would give this mod an 8 so far. Considering you put this together in such a short period of time, and managed to slaughter all previous LOTR mods I would say that is one heck of an accomplishment. Just don't stop now :D

Well if you think of some good units, give me the links to them because it took me a very very long time to find all of the units, graphics, and such that I am kinda of tired searching for a lot of stuff. Any way the Urban Miltia units is supposed to look like unorganized infantry because it is peasants not trained infantry that were armor and such. But if you got a better unit that can fill that position let me know. Thanks

If you guys have any other ideas and suggestions I would really appreciate it because I know my Mod is not perfect. Thanks
Also do you guys like the way how I made Sauron and Saruman spawn their armies by the building that are in their cities. Saruman spawns Uruk-Hai units every 12 turns, Sauron Spawns Units every 25 turns, Rohan recieves Rohirrim units every 19 turns, the Shire receives hobbits every eight turns I think, and Gondor recieves Undead units every 30 turns. The reason why I did this was to make the game more acurate to the story line. I didn't want Gondor or Rohan to take out Isengard and Mordor in the beginning of the game because to me that would be pointless, too easy. Also I wanted to create surprise and excitement like if you were losing as Gondor or Rohan and you couldn't build units fast enough, you would still have hope because of the Rohirrim or the Undead would come to save the day. But I didn't want it so close to the story line that the good guys always win and the bad guys always lose. You can just read the books and watch the movies for that right? I also tried giving many units to Mordor and Isengard in the beginning of the game, but it didn't make any sense because Isengard and Mordor unleased their armies when the ring was still in Moria, so I had to figure a way to make the game more acurate. So what I did was I gave Mordor and Isengard buildings that would produce units every so many turns so when Isengard's main army was unleashed, the Ring would be somewhere around Dead marshes to Osgiliath. Mordor's army had to be several turns after Isengard's army because I hoped that Rohan would destroy Isengard by then with the help of Arnor and the Elves and come down to save Gondor with their Rohirrim. The Undead and the Rohirrim units appear several turns after Mordor's and Isengard armies appear because I had to give the computer enough time to mobilize their forces that they just received and so that they can have enough time to attack. When I made this Scenario, I wanted it to be more of a multiplayer game; that is why their are only eight civs in the game. The original version that I made, about 5 months ago, had around 12 civilizations if I remember correctly. But if you guys have any other questions of why I did something, feel free to ask because I love constructive critism. That is why I am in Marine Corps ROTC; I get constructive critism everyday, lol. Thanks

I love this mod ROTCWinter, it is very thorough and enjoyable, however i have a few questions... how do you upgrade aragorn and gandalf? i cant seem to figure that out, also am i supposed to take the balrog city? i always do as arnor, but i still dont nkow if i need to. one last thing... that single road through those mountains in mordor? i always get my hobbits trampled by an olog-hai or an orc or whatever, but not just one, but like 6 at a time. so i find it hard to get the ring into mordor because nearly every turn the road is blocked or will be invaded by orcs. what do i do? and could you make like a walkthrough? that would be great

The way to make Aragorn is that you must bring him back to a city under your control, and upgrade him. So in order to upgrade him you basically have to send him to Minas Tirith, which is the closest Gondor city and upgrade him there. He doesn't require any strategic resources to upgrade. Gandalf upgrades if you have the strategic resource of Mythril which can only be found in Moria, dwarrowdelf. So yes you have to capture Moria, defeat the Balrog, to have Gandalf upgrade. Once when you have to Mythril resource send Gandalf to one of your cities that are connnected to the resource mythril and upgrade him. If you play as Mordor, the Nazgul upgrade into "Wraith on Wings" once when you discover the Technology Taming Beast. There is a secret road that leads through the dead marshes and you can enter it in Eymn Mull. And the Ring actually has three options in getting into Mordor. One is the Black Gate way which is very dangerous because there is only one road that every unit has to travel on, which means it is easily to be run overed by orcs and Uruk-Hai. The second way is the way that Frodo and Sam went through, the winding stairs that lead up to caves in which Shelob inhabbits. That road is hard to get onto yes, but you have to wait for the right time to get onto it and once you do that then you have to fight Shelob and after that it is a strait run to Mt. Doom. The third one is very secret and hidden. It is a path that leads into Mordor from the Northeastern part of Mordor's Northern Mountain range. It is a road that leads through the Mountains. I made this road just incase it got way to risky and hard to get into Mordor, so use this road as a last resort. The only bad thing about this road is that you have to bypass Barad-Dur where the Nazgul are at and they can see invisible units. I have tried all of these ways to get into mordor and they all work but you have to wait for the right time to enter them. If you have any more questions or ideas please tell me. Thanks

I think, your mod is very nice, but after some turns of gameplay I have to say something about. - Sorry for my spelling mistakes. -

Research: seems to be redundant in your mod. Siege and other developments in this short period? Maybe you have to deactivate this feature for a scenario like this.

Characters: very nice to see some characters from the story, but they all seems to be from different tribes (or civs). So the AI send them all over the map in different directions and sometimes lonely. As Isengard I kill most of them after first ten turns, and most of them were alone, esp. the very strong one. Make it... I don't know how... different.

Char. suggestion: What is about a character army? Armies can carry more troops, so it's more difficult to destroy them. Or the characters get an own nation (tribe), who's only target the ring is. It's a problem of the AI, because the AI doesn't know characters -- Mm, what is about characters as strong leaders?

Fortress: Make some better icons for the fortress.

Army: An army with only 2 troop capacity is not an advantage. But maybe it's better for gameplay... mm... I don't know. What would happen, when the AI is also using more armies in game? You maybe get army battles.

Workers: Deactivate Workers. Workers can build up roads, irrigation and so on, and this is a short time scenario. Please remove them. They are not necessary.

... ;)

Reading about this mod in the thread has intrigued me. I'll have to give at least one try. Of course, I'll be playing Mordor. I love the bad guys. I always felt they are just really misunderstood good guys.

I have one minor suggestion for you to consider, regarding Shelob

As it currently is, Mordor can and will use the pass past Shelob to move troops, thus making the pass pretty difficult for our beloved little hobbitses... not to mention a human player with no sense playing Mordor surely depositing more defensive units there

So, I thought you might make Shelob belong to another 'evil' civ, so that Mordor cannot use the pass - as if they need to, Minas Morgul is just around the corner anyway, and Shelob will be the only obstacle in the pass (well, in that exact position anyway). Of course it's just my very personal opinion, but I'd be honoured if you like the idea. As for what civ to give Shelob to, I'd have to suggest Haradwath - Isengard is too easily wiped out, and thus Shelob would be destroyed, but the City of Corsairs is rarely invaded, and definitely not very early in the game, so Shelob would still be there no matter what

As I said on the other thread, great work you've done here. Just a little polishing around the edges and it'll be legendary instead of just excellent ;)

Dont worry I have the Minas Morgul pass all figured out in the revised edition that I am making. I have redone the terrain by Minas Morgul a bit so mordor doesnt use the pass. But thanks for your opinion. I will take it into consideration. Thanks

oops King Coltran you are right. I made a mistake. There wasnt supposed to mythril there so go to civ 3 edit and delete the mythirl there. In the early stages of making the game I used that source to see if Gandalf would upgrade but I forgot to take it out. In the revised edition all of the bluppers and messups will be fixed though thanks for pointing that out.

Since I was the one to criticise your choice in units, I will try to help you.
So here we go:

Dwarves - Dwarf Ironmask , Longbeard , Ironbreaker , Miner and Dwarf Ranger .

Human units - possible Gondor militia and Western Bowman , Western spearman.

Bad guys - Haradrim , orc siege engine .

Elven units - possible new anim for Legolas , possible new anim for Elrond (see Kensai) , Elven cavalry .

Two more sugestions: for the Dunland wildman you could use the original Firaxis animantion for the viking Berserker, and for the skeleton spearman it would be better to use the unit in this thread.

That would be it. I would be happy to help further if you decide (by coincidence ;) ) that you want to have a hobbit nation (there are plenty of units).

Top Bottom