Mac Modding Index

There could be a number of problems with a Python mod.

1. If it imports the winreg module for access to the Windows registry, then that code will need modification.

2. If it uses any new Python version 2.4 calls then they have to be recoded to run in Python version 2.3. The ones I have come across so far have been the 'set()' call, and the 'reverse' iterator construction.

I'll have a look, but do you have a link please? Firstly, I prefer to ensure that I'm looking at the same mod you are looking at, and secondly, I'm bone idle!

Also, what are the problems you see when you try to run the mod?

- Have you installed it OK?
- Can you select it in the Load a Mod option?
- Does it load up when you do so?
- If so, what happens next - You get error messages? It crashes? ....

I'm nearly certain this mod uses a custom dll file (therefore won't work.) :( I may investigate this mod a little further later, but I'm too busy right now.

EDIT: I just made a quick post about it in the Fictionalization IV thread, and from there we can gauge the ability to bring this to the Mac.

Okay, I was wrong. :D The DLL is only there for future use. Currently the mod is only XML and Python, but that is subject to change. Even if a custom dll is used in the future, CFkane said it should not be necessary for the mod. You can start by removing the (unmodified) dll that is included in the download.

Also, here is a link, just for you Alan. :) I really hope there isn't another Fictionalization mod out there by CFkane. :mischief:

Thanks.

Is it just me, or does that mod download at an astounding 60Kbits/sec? An hour to download! Feels like I'm back on an analog modem!

The Mac should simply ignore a DLL, so there's no need to remove it.

I worked on the patched mod, and I can now load it and start a game.

There are three XML files with problems. I've zapped gremlins, and balanced a <TEXT> tag in the following files:

/Assets/XML/Text/FictionalizationIVCivilopedia.xml

/Assets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_DiplomacyText_BTS.xml

/Assets/XML/Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

Replace the originals with the attached modified files. No guarantees that it works 100%, as I haven't tried playing it ... and note that it *is* a beta!

Attachments

• FictionalizationMacChanges.zip
    112.1 KB · Views: 266
Are you registered with Atomic Gamer? If so, that might explain it.

I have an irrational dislike for giving my credentials to all and sundry, so I tend not to register for file download access services.

I downloaded the latest - version 4.5. But, as I say, this is a zipped Windows installer, so you can't extract its files without a Windows environment.

Actually with the free program The Unarchiver you can. It treats the .exe as an archive and extracts with the directory structure intact, though the top level or so will be installer data and may have odd folder names. Just browse through til you find the Mods folder (or such), drag it out and delete the remainder.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774/the-unarchiver

Actually with the free program The Unarchiver you can. It treats the .exe as an archive and extracts with the directory structure intact, though the top level or so will be installer data and may have odd folder names. Just browse through til you find the Mods folder (or such), drag it out and delete the remainder.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774/the-unarchiver

I couldn't get it to work. I tried opening CivBlueMarble.exe with it, but the app complained that it couldn't extract the files. Did you have to do anything special to get it to work? I'm on Tiger fwiw.

It looks as if Unarchiver does a similar job to Stuffit Expander. That was able to extract files from some .exe installers, and I used it successfully on a Civ3 mod or two. However, it only works on a limited range of Windows installer file formats that basically embed a .zip archive inside a self-extractor. I haven't been able to use it on any more recent Civ4 mods, which typically use the standard Windows Installer standards to package the files.

In addition to the mods, what about other content that is Mac compatible that are not part of mods? (like leaderheads, new civs, new units)

All of that stuff (except maybe Civs) are only art, and therefore are perfectly compatible, but you just have to add them in by yourself.

i am kinda dumb with regards to getting the content installed is why I ask. Where do I need to install it to?

And any idea about civs that are compatible?

Well, basically how Civ IV modding is set up is that you must edit the the game's files to add them in. There are three basic levels to adding content: XML, Python, and SDK (C++). XML is the most basic form (by far!) and really doesn't require programming knowledge, other than understand of how the tags work. This is what you need to add custom content into the game, and you can do quite a lot with it. There are plenty of tutorials in the Creation and Customization and in the Modiki. If you go with making your own mod, remember the golden rule: never modify the game's original files! Always copy the needed files into a mod folder.

Anyway, if you want something simpler, then go for a mod or a Custom Civ. All that you have to do is download the mod and place it Documents/Civilization IV/(Warlords or Beyond the Sword if for those expansions, otherwise skip if for Vanilla Civ)/Mods. Then in the in-game menu, select 'Advanced' --> 'Load a Mod' and choose your mod or Civ.

As to what works, there are a number of incompatibilities that can make a mod not work. The only thing that we can't fix is the use of a custom dll file (SDK mod.) There isn't an SDK for Mac, so we are limited to Python/XML mods. All of the civs are pure XML, so no worries there. If you do have problems with a Civ, just post here what errors you get and we can probably fix them. Also I kind of hope that you have BtS, or else you'll be limited to your Civ choices (unless you make them yourself. ;) )

I hope this clears a few things up for you!

Perfect2.py mapscript is ok :goodjob:

I have an idea for us macusers : if we had a serial of mini-mod to add in "Civ4 BTS/Documents"

My wishs for mac BTS version, this wishs should be the most wished by many peoples :

*"The immigration mod"
*"BUG Mod"
*"Barbarian Civ" python version
*A sort of "Extra Mod" for Mac BTS
*Caravans and Freights and more units of this sort for smoothly transform through the time...
Should carry food, production or gold for simulating an interior trade, these different types of caravans and freights should require specific ressource ;)

Shoukd be a sort of Chiyu's "Extra Mod" with BUG Mod, Immigration Mod, and Barbarian Civ py version...

Do you know the spirit of Chiyu's Extra ? Adding anything of others historical mods shipped with BTS, especially building, units, wonders, promotions, civics, civs, ressources and leaders an concepts into a single game...

What do you think of this idea ? Pretty nice isn't it ?

:king:

Top Bottom