Macintosh Tech Support/Game FAQ

Is there a way to mod for CivIII without the editor, on a PowerPC mac? I can't run Windows programs, and as a result, no Windows editors, but I still want to try some basic modding (flavor units). Has anyone tried this, or am I going to have to flag down the apparently buggy and unreliable mac version?

There's only the old vanilla editor, if you have Civ3 version 1.21g from MacSoft. It doesn't support the extra features in the last vanilla release, or any of the extensions in Play the World and Conquests. Email me if you want to track down a copy.

Hello. I dug out C3C to play on my Dual 2.8, and I downloaded the 1.22A updater. However, the updater doesn't work. It launches fine and starts the upgrade, but it won't complete the upgrade. It stalls on 'Installing... OpenPlay.rsrc' Note that the installer doesn't crash. It remains responsive. It just won't complete the update.

Has anyone seen this issue? Does anyone have a workaround? Can anyone send me 1.22A? ;)

Welcome, swanic!

I don't have the answer to your question, but I didn't want you to feel all alone. AlanH will help you but, since he's in England and it's late at night there, he probably won't see your post 'til tomorrow.

In the mean time, he'll probably want to know what version of OSX you're running, etc.

Hi, welcome. :wavey:

Another late night here in the UK :)

Let me guess? You are trying to install the rev A update by mounting the disk image and double clicking the installer you see there. Further, you are running Leopard on your Intel Mac.

The first thing to try is to drag-copy the installer onto your Desktop, then double click that copy to run it. Let us know if that fixes it.

Excellent guesses!

Yes, I am running Leopard, and I was running the updater from the image.

I'll try that fix as soon as I get home from work.

Thanks!

Sadly, that fix did not seem to work. After running the updater from the desktop (rather than the mounted DMG), the updater stalls in the same place -- 'Installing... OpenPlay.rsrc'.

For what it's worth, I've got a Dual 2.8 Xenon, running OS 10.5.6, with 2 GB of RAM, connected to a 30" Cinema Display.

I've tried the usual Mac voodoo -- restarting, repairing permissions, etc. Nothing.

Any other suggestions? Thanks very much for your help!

Hmm. There's another similar issue reported here ... with no resolution! I recommend contacting Aspyr Support, since that thread indicates they were aware of a problem six months ago.

Very interesting. It looks like the exact same issue I am having. I contacted Aspyr to see if they are ever going to do a fix.

In the meantime, is someone willing to send me an Intel native version of the Civ III Complete application with the 1.22A update installed so that I can play the game I paid for? :)

That may well be a breach of copyright. I recommend you ask Aspyr.

In the meantime, is someone willing to send me an Intel native version of the Civ III Complete application with the 1.22A update installed so that I can play the game I paid for? :)
That may well be a breach of copyright. I recommend you ask Aspyr.
I think it's a joke. I don't believe there's a C3C version native to the Intel Macs.

If you have it installed, check the Get Info. Rev A made Civ3 Complete into a Universal Binary.

Platform: Mac
Game: Civ3 Complete

Problem: Civilopedia says the curragh can carry one unit. However, units are notably reluctant to board any curragh. I think they don't want to get their feet wet, and even the best maintained curraghs tend to get a bet 'damp' in the water. I think I saw the key combo somewhere, but danged if I can remember where.

Help me Augie Doggie, I've run out of options.

Maybe you have an outdated Civilopedia? Curraghs don't carry units. And so says my Civilopedia file dated December 12, 2005.

Actually, they do. Or so I learned when playing the Ancient World scenario. Marched a Mycenae warrior right on the leather boat and went paddling off around the eastern Med. Why it works in that scenario and not the vanilla game is something I may never understand.

Then again, I may be able to now...

That'll be a change that's specific to the mod. If you edit a scenario anything is possible, within reason. The Civilopedia should tell you what is allowed within the mod you are playing, and a mod should not spill over into a standard game, unless it's very badly behaved.

Yet in the vanilla 'pedia it says the curragh has a capacity of one unit. Another sign Firaxis rushed the job. What you get when management has no grounding in the technical side.

The Civilopedia gets its information straight out of the unit stats for the .biq file that's running. If you are seeing a carrying capacity of 1 then that means you have a modified .biq file. You are not running the standard out-of-the-box game. Don't blame Firaxis, blame your own mod configuration management.

Here's my 'pedia entry, which I assure you is for the standard game rules. No transport capacity.

Attachments

• curragh.jpg
    curragh.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 213
Sorry I am not very good at forums, but I have a problem. A few months ago, I accidently removed the Civ III Complete icon from my ribbon. Now every attempt I make to put it back on or even open the program just makes it bounce on the ribbon a couple times and then vanish, and it is driving me insane.
PLEASE SAVE ME!!!
-Votecake

Hi, welcome.

The solution to your problem is very likely to be the latest version from Aspyr. See details here.

I assume your reference to "ribbon" means the Dock? You should be able to copy an icon for any application back in the Dock just by dragging it there from where it lives - usually in /Applications/Civilization III Complete/

Top Bottom