MadDjinn's Deity LP - Venice

I will be very disappointed if Arabia just sits there, you are ripe for the taking. But from what I've read thus far, the AI seems to build first and not do early rushes. So I guess if they finally get enough Camels, they will start doing something...I hope.

I will be very disappointed if Arabia just sits there, you are ripe for the taking. But from what I've read thus far, the AI seems to build first and not do early rushes. So I guess if they finally get enough Camels, they will start doing something...I hope.

that entirely depends on their loyalty flavour and if it makes sense for their Grand Strategy.

It makes 0 sense to attack a DoF friend, even if they are 'weak' looking. The Diplo penalty for that (with all other AIs) would effectively be political suicide. The Celts and Austria would likely look north and split the Arab territory between them.

But ofc, many people 'expect' the AI to be the crazy guy, when in fact it's actually working correctly, flavour wise.

In this particular case, the Arabs don't have any negatives towards me, so they can chug along with whatever their plan happens to be. They could even mass Camel Archers (though they only have 4 horses) and hit the Celts - whom they are not friends with.

I implied that they should attack you but I really meant about them attacking anyone with their superior Camels.

I think it's going to get more interesting soon once you stop building the boring stuff. :) Nice haul from Belgrade but your gold situation is not that strong to build and maintain an army. It looks like you can build an army fairly quickly in Vienna and you may be safe with Arabia for a while, at least for you to go south. I think. It will be curious as to what you will do to defeat the civs on the other continent.

So, you do eventually want a war with Harun correct? What do you think about attacking Panama City. You could build XP for your units on the way to war with Harun, and reduce the population in that terribly located city. I have seen that city location problem as well, on a Large Islands map.

All of these people complaining about the AI is really ridiculous. Wait until they get to the modern eras and start adopting ideologies; and then they watch their 300gpt morph into 15gpt over one DOW. The AI is really working well, they are still OP but at least now you can understand what they are doing.

Are you considering a re-roll? This map is pretty bad.

I don't know if this Continents map is pretty bad, seems pretty typical to me, but one of the factors for a more challenging game is to play on less than 'cooked' or optimal maps.

I don't know if this Continents map is pretty bad, seems pretty typical to me, but one of the factors for a more challenging game is to play on less than 'cooked' or optimal maps.

this one is definitely sub-optimal for Venice. Nearly all capitals are non-coastal, so there's no benefit to the Great Galleass re: early wars.

The map itself is actually fine though. I've noticed that the Continents map script seems to be handing out really weird maps, including many that look like small continents or islands maps.

Well, I'm not a sadist(LOL), I dont want to see you beaten down like most of us on deity. I dont want you to be thrown a softball either, but I think the map is hindering alot of the options that you have for Venice; which is the reason everyone wanted to see you play Venice in the first place.

@ MADDJINN I have played CIV for a long time and found out about this place through your videos on the 2K site. I listened to the polycast for the first time today and I really didnt know that CIV had such a vibrant community. Almost everything I see is mindless complaining. I have done alot of beta testing in shooters and I play with devs in my clan. You guys have done an amazing job in working with the devs. And it is really nice to see devs that actually play the game and care about it. I just wanted to thank you and the people that have worked on the game, I know what it is like to play s**t builds and how hard it is to balance the game for all levels of players. Excellent job to all of those involved. I look forward to many years of playing this mountain of content that we now have in CIV V.

What victory are you aiming for?
Culture and space ship seems hard. With austria and yourself there won't be many city states so a diplo victory might not work. So it's domination?

What victory are you aiming for?
Culture and space ship seems hard. With austria and yourself there won't be many city states so a diplo victory might not work. So it's domination?

Everything is still an option, though smashing a few empires along the way seems likely (else they'd just out tech/whatever me).

oh, and ep 6 and 7 are both up.

You answered me on YT but can you elaborate a bit more on why you took Valetta so soon? I thought City-States have the Deity production etc. bonuses like major civs have(just not the free starting units). You mentioned the trade routes for food to Venice being a reason and I can see that but it still seems better to wait until they've built up some infrastructure and units on their own to buy them up rather than having a rather "meh" puppet sitting there and starving out. If I'm wrong about the CS' bonuses then it makes a bit more sense. CSes are weird sometimes like not being able to build NC (I know this is b/c of Scholasticism but still).

I'm not gonna question your decision making there though, my only experience with Venice is watching the AI play it and get crushed. :lol:

The map itself is actually fine though. I've noticed that the Continents map script seems to be handing out really weird maps, including many that look like small continents or islands maps.

I've noticed the map scripts have been weird too in the games I've been able to play. Pangaeas are still being annoying rather often by being like "continents except they're connected by like a 7x1 snaking chokepoint". This was an issue in G&K too :crazyeye:

You answered me on YT but can you elaborate a bit more on why you took Valetta so soon? I thought City-States have the Deity production etc. bonuses like major civs have(just not the free starting units). You mentioned the trade routes for food to Venice being a reason and I can see that but it still seems better to wait until they've built up some infrastructure and units on their own to buy them up rather than having a rather "meh" puppet sitting there and starving out. If I'm wrong about the CS' bonuses then it makes a bit more sense. CSes are weird sometimes like not being able to build NC (I know this is b/c of Scholasticism but still).

I'm not gonna question your decision making there though, my only experience with Venice is watching the AI play it and get crushed. :lol:

Nah, it's fine to question it. Normally I wait until I think that the CS would have built a market before grabbing it. At the very least, even if they don't have units/etc, they'd be able to start working on the next MoV.

In this case, I think they 'might' have been able to get a bit further before I took them, but 2 work boats and a worker seemed to be all the CS was able to get done. Given that I wasn't headed directly to Education, my only new source of beakers was growth of Venice or taking puppets. With the sea food trade route, that did both. I probably should have sent Valletta some hammers later, but menh?

The part where they starved a bit was just due to the wandering barb galley.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd prefer to wait on getting a CS puppet until they look better. I didn't get to send units off to a puppet this time though. It's amusing to ship tonnes of low tech units to puppets and have them upgrade the units to something more powerful.

Top Bottom