MadDjinn's Deity LP - Venice

One thing I didn't understand is why you left that great merchant sitting just outside that city state in the north west of your continent.
Why hold off converting it?

One thing I didn't understand is why you left that great merchant sitting just outside that city state in the north west of your continent.
Why hold off converting it?

Timing is important.

Grab it too soon and the Arabs will consider those forces wrt "Are you about to DoW me?" questions. Also leaving it allows the CS to get more buildings and units (free for me).

One fear is Austria will buy it, though. Aren't they allies?

You didn't mention the notification saying Austria entered the Modern Era, so maybe you didn't notice. Just telling you.

I have played a couple of Continets Deity games as the Venice, and only got one fish in both games, with no luxury sea resorces. I fact, I got Marble + trapping lux in both games. How would you go about playing that kind of map, MD? It would call for a whole different start, because lighthouse isn't so powerful (same goes for harbour and seaport!). Could you do a short stream with that kind of Venice opening on Twitch?

I have played a couple of Continets Deity games as the Venice, and only got one fish in both games, with no luxury sea resorces. I fact, I got Marble + trapping lux in both games. How would you go about playing that kind of map, MD? It would call for a whole different start, because lighthouse isn't so powerful (same goes for harbour and seaport!). Could you do a short stream with that kind of Venice opening on Twitch?

I'd skip Optics for a long time.

If you had Marble + at least 1 more stone, I'd probably rush for the Mausoleum as it gives you some MOV points. Ofc, this is dependent on the food/hammer combo of the city.

Grab Trapping pre-Philosophy and use them for gpt to support whatever you need. They're usually the better gold on hex resources anyways, so you can do well by getting them up early (not to mention they add to the trade route output in both pure gold output of the city as well as the resource diversity side).

The rest of the strategy would be completely dependent on neighbours and how many CS are nearby. With a cluster of CSs, then Liberty is nice for a triple (including Optics one) MoV grab of CSs post-Philosophy (if you can wait that long).

If you're super lucky, then those CSs built more units than buildings and you'd get a nicely upgraded army to go visit a neighbour. Else they might have Markets already, so they'd start working on the next MoV before you get to Currency yourself.

Hmm...The paths of your trade routes are always showing (at least in the sea?). I have looked for this setting in options, but found nothing. Is this from a mod?

Hmm...The paths of your trade routes are always showing (at least in the sea?). I have looked for this setting in options, but found nothing. Is this from a mod?

it's one of the buttons near the minimap

Why weren't you building any farms but instead sleeping the worker in the first 50 turns/before mining?

Love how the things about Valetta worked out... ah well...the only way it could have been worse was if the MoV got killed off instead :D

Why weren't you building any farms but instead sleeping the worker in the first 50 turns/before mining?

I second this question. There was one lake-side plainstile which would have given at least some food (although still a lot less than a fish resource).

Also: Could you in one of your BtM-Videos elaborate on artifacts vs. archeological tile improvements and the balance between artifacts and great works of art. How many of each do you want in a typical culture/non-culture game?

And thank you for your videos! :)

Love how the things about Valetta worked out... ah well...the only way it could have been worse was if the MoV got killed off instead :D

I second this question. There was one lake-side plainstile which would have given at least some food (although still a lot less than a fish resource).

Also: Could you in one of your BtM-Videos elaborate on artifacts vs. archeological tile improvements and the balance between artifacts and great works of art. How many of each do you want in a typical culture/non-culture game?

And thank you for your videos! :)

I don't farm plains tiles as they are not worth working. Maybe at the end of the game when you have excess pop with nothing to do, you can TP it, but menh before that.

As per Landmarks vs. artifacts, definitely will cover that topic in a BtM episode.

Don't really get that. Sure a 2f 1p tile is crap, but it doesn't cost anything (if the worker is otherwise idle) to do it and there always might come a point in the game where you could starve since 1 of your 2-5 improved tiles got blocked or pillaged? Especially with barbs rampaging it can not hurt to have tiles that produce more than 1 food even if it's just 2f? At the very least a freshwater plain tile gotta be worth farming... hell you didn't have anything in that city apart from 2 fish (pearls also only give 2f (and luckily 1p now early too). 1 barb vessel and all your pop has to work the 1f1p plain tiles anyway.
Is that a BNW tactics? Forget about food/farms, just get 5 food sea trade routes into the cap all game long instead? Gotta watch the rest of the vids, but I find this a bit weird currently.

Do you have a moral objection to instaheal? I saw several occasions where you promoted a unit that was on redline health and left it in harm's way for certain death. Even if leaving it there was necessary, wouldn't it make more sense to be healthier (so it can soak up even more enemy attacks before dying)? Just a random thought. I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Do you have a moral objection to instaheal? I saw several occasions where you promoted a unit that was on redline health and left it in harm's way for certain death. Even if leaving it there was necessary, wouldn't it make more sense to be healthier (so it can soak up even more enemy attacks before dying)? Just a random thought. I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

no objection to it, but I rarely use it due to promotions being far more useful. I sometimes then forget to use it when I need to leave units behind.

Top Bottom