Mayor of Boston is opposed to Chick-Fil-A in his City

Status
Not open for further replies.

CELTICEMPIRE

Zulu Conqueror
From yahoo
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...-fil-menino-dan-cathy-201952237--finance.html

On the heels of Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy's controversial public comments against same-sex marriage, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino fired off a letter to Cathy, urging him to abandon plans to expand the fast food chain to his city.
"In recent days you said Chick-fil-A opposes same-sex marriage and said the generation that supports it has 'an arrogant attitude,'" Menino wrote in a letter dated July 20 and published online Wednesday. "Now—incredibly—your company says you are backing out of the same-sex marriage debate. I urge you to back out of your plans to locate in Boston."
"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Cathy said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."
In an interview with the Baptist Press published last week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.
"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."
"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."
All 1,608 of Chick-fil-A's restaurants are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.
"Here in Boston, to borrow your own words, we are 'guilty as charged,'" Menino continued. "We are indeed full of pride for our support of same sex marriage and our work to expand freedom to all people."
Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

So, the Mayor of Boston is allowed to tell the fast food restaurant company that's owner has differing views from him that they cannot put a restaurant in his city?

Anyway, why does it matter what a company thinks about SSM?

Also, on a related note, Chick Fil A has always been one of my favorite fast-food restaurants and I ate lunch there today.

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
A Chicago Alderman is preventing Chick-Fil-A from opening in the Logan Square neighborhood of the city for the same reason.

I'm not sure how I feel about it actually...I'm leaning towards this is a bad idea.

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
What is so terrible about the mayor of any city, much less a Northern one, opposing rampant homophobia by a well-known bigot?

Lillefix

I'm serious. You can.
So there is a fast food chain with an official stance on religion? That's a bit weird isn't it? I think I need to look this up on wikipedia.

_random_

Jewel Runner
Chick-Fil-A is pretty tasty. They've created a pretty strong base among evangelical Christians, so I really don't see this whole "scandal" making much difference for the company in the long term.

Frankly, I don't see why people are making a huge deal out of this. All corporations are evil. Donating money to a few rather dubious political causes while at the same time supporting a lot of charitable causes is pretty decent in the grand scheme of things.

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
What is so terrible about the mayor of any city, much less a Northern one, opposing rampant homophobia by a well-known bigot?

Well, the guy hasn't really done anything more than just donate to anto-gay marriage groups. That basically makes him a republican.

Could you imagine the outcry if Birmingham blocked a Whole Foods or an Apple store, because their ownership supported gay-marriage, or Bhuddism? Do we want to give our local politicians veto power over local business, because they disagree with their political choices? I think I am uncomfortable letting any civic leader do that, especially since so many city council leaders are REALLY STUPID.

Ajidica

High Quality Person
In your opinion. If a CEO were to state that Christians should not be allowed to get a civil marriage and make it a key part of the company, would you not consider that action bigoted?

Ajidica

High Quality Person
Why? It is still denying the right for two consenting adults to enter into a civil marriage.
That they don't have the right nationaly right now isn't particularly relevent.

CELTICEMPIRE

Zulu Conqueror
Well, the guy hasn't really done anything more than just donate to anto-gay marriage groups. That basically makes him a republican.

Could you imagine the outcry if Birmingham blocked a Whole Foods or an Apple store, because their ownership supported gay-marriage, or Bhuddism? Do we want to give our local politicians veto power over local business, because they disagree with their political choices? I think I am uncomfortable letting any civic leader do that, especially since so many city council leaders are REALLY STUPID.

:agree:

I'm against SSM, but I frequently use products from companies and listen to music from artists that support it.

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
it's not bigoted, nor homophobic, stop acting like your side of the argument is the only one that has the right to speak about it.
Did I ever claim that those who find nothing wrong with rampant homophobia and bigotry don't have a right to say so every chance they get? My position is actually the opposite as I have stated numerous times in this forum.

OTOH it is also our right, and even our responsibility, to vocally speak out against it.

Homophobic Chick-fil-A Deserves a Plague of Protest

"Judge not, that you be not judged" (Matthew 7:1 ESV).

As more states recognize same-sex marriage, Christian warriors are amping up their crusade to preserve what they define as traditional marriage between a man and a woman. But there comes a point when such fervent disdain for same-sex marriage crosses a threshold of decency and begins to violate the basic civil rights of gay Americans. Take the recent comments by Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy in the Baptist Press, in which he pleaded "guilty as charged" for his company's advocacy of traditional marriage based on biblical principles:

We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that.

The fast-food chain's commitment has included millions of dollars donated to anti-gay groups and causes, including the Marriage & Family Foundation and the Family Research Council, according to Business Insider. The company's WinShape Foundation also has refused to admit gay couples to marriage counseling. Last year, Chick-fil-A cosponsored a marriage conference with the Pennsylvania Family Institute, which lobbied against a state effort to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. In another interview on the Ken Coleman Show, Cathy suggested that the nation could face God's wrath for supporting gay marriage. That's pretty strong, incendiary language.

Chick-fil-A is a successful, private business that trains its employees "to focus on values rooted in the Bible." It stays closed on Sundays. It has over 1,608 restaurants nationwide and more than $4 billion in sales. Some of its sales are made in publicly support sports stadiums, as well as at major sporting events, such as the Chick-fil-A Bowl in the company's hometown of Atlanta. The Georgia Bowl, where the game is held, is owned by authority of the State of Georgia. Public schools also do business with the company, which supports sports and educational programs.

It's one thing for a private business to run its operations based on certain religious values. And without question, its president is entitled to express his religious views and ask employees to live by them. However, when that company supports groups that attack civil-rights protections for people based on their sexual preference, it's fair to question whether that company should be allowed to operate in taxpayer-supported facilities or work with public school children. Chick-fil-A's continued support of anti-gay groups and Cathy's discriminatory comments cross the line of decency.

It's time for public officials, school districts, and institutions such as the NCAA to cancel the fast-food chain's operations at public facilities and sporting events and make the company pay a price for its bigoted, impious attitude toward gay Americans.

It's now time to eat "mor hamburgers," not "chickin," in public venues, and to boycott Cathy's Chick-fil-A.

He has done far more than that. And many Republicans are indeed as homophobic and bigoted as he obviously is.

Leoreth

Blue Period
Oh, right, we're in the territory of being sorry for abstract concepts at the expense of actual people again.

CELTICEMPIRE

Zulu Conqueror
Did I ever claim that those who find nothing wrong with rampant homophobia and bigotry don't have a right to say so every chance they get?

He has done far more than that. And many Republicans are indeed as homophobic and bigoted as he obviously is.

It is your opinion that it is bigoted, I disagree, and most people in the world do as well.

If Martin Luther King Jr. was still alive I have a feeling he'd oppose SSM, then you would have to call him a bigot.

Ajidica

High Quality Person
If Martin Luther King Jr. was still alive I have a feeling he'd oppose SSM, then you would have to call him a bigot.
Your point? I wasn't aware that current social issues should be handled by the standards of 1960's radicals.

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
In your opinion. If a CEO were to state that Christians should not be allowed to get a civil marriage and make it a key part of the company, would you not consider that action bigoted?

I might, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't allow him to operate in the city, provided he obeyed all laws (including anti-discrimination statutes...which Chick-Fil-A folllows).

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
It is your opinion that it is bigoted, I disagree, and most people in the world do as well.
Care to even try to prove that obviously outlandish statement?

Do you think he would also support numerous anti-gay organizations?

And I have yet to hear a valid secular reason to be opposed to SSM. Care to provide one?

Not only is Chik-Fil-A obviously homophobic and bigoted, they even overtly lie about it:

Chick-Fil-A Recalling Jim Henson Kids' Meal Toys As Partnership Severed Over Anti-Gay Donations

Last week, the Jim Henson Company announced it would no longer partner with Chick-fil-A in the wake of the fast food company's acknowledged support of anti-gay organizations. Now, however, Chick-fil-A officials are reportedly telling franchise customers that the kids' meal toys which were produced as part of the now-severed collaboration have been recalled due to safety issues.

A photograph of a sign reportedly displayed at a Chick-fil-A restaurant at the Shops at Willow Bend in Plano, Texas has gone viral on Twitter and the blogosphere. The sign reads as follows:

"We apologize for any inconvenience but as of 7/19/2012 Chick-fil-A has voluntarily recalled all of the Jim Henson's Creature Shop Puppet Kids Meal Toys due to a possible safety issue. Please be advised that there have not been any cases in which a child has actually been injured, however there have been some reports of children getting their fingers stuck in the holes of the puppets."

classical_hero

In whom I trust
Did I ever claim that those who find nothing wrong with rampant homophobia and bigotry don't have a right to say so every chance they get? My position is actually the opposite as I have stated numerous times in this forum.

OTOH it is also our right, and even our responsibility, to vocally speak out against it.

Homophobic Chick-fil-A Deserves a Plague of Protest

The Bible is explicitly clear on the subject of Homosexuality and they are just affirming what the Bible says. Also so much for tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom