Minor/Major/Extreme Warmonger Penalty

Evie94

Warlord
Does anyone have the coding or explanation for what causes the difference in the generation of Penalties when you take a City?

I always presumed that non-Capitals gave Minor and Capitals Major, with the exception of backstabbing but on a recent Greek mess-around (I hesitate to call it a game) I got an EXTREME penalty for taking New York. I wasn't friends with Washington or anything.

I'm not asking for ways to reduce the penalty, as I actually like it and I have Magma Dragoon's thread bookmarked and generally can reduce the penalty fine. Just what generates EXTREME, as I've never seen it before

Does anyone have the coding or explanation for what causes the difference in the generation of Penalties when you take a City?

I always presumed that non-Capitals gave Minor and Capitals Major, with the exception of backstabbing but on a recent Greek mess-around (I hesitate to call it a game) I got an EXTREME penalty for taking New York. I wasn't friends with Washington or anything.

I'm not asking for ways to reduce the penalty, as I actually like it and I have Magma Dragoon's thread bookmarked and generally can reduce the penalty fine. Just what generates EXTREME, as I've never seen it before

The closest I can tell is that it's based on the of the number of non-player cities in the game at that point - the penalty is more extreme if you're conquering when there are fewer foreign cities left (which makes sense if the intent is to curtail domination), or at earlier game stages when there are fewer cities in total. In a given war I find that the penalty is the same for all cities in an empire, and the same for any civ I'm at war with at that stage (I took Venice with a Minor penalty once, however any random city in the early game when my Spanish enemy had only three would have given me an Extreme penalty, a level I've never seen in the later game).

Actually the penalty alters dynamically... one game with Mongols I had major penalties early in the game taking a few cities (based on number of cities overall as above poster said) while later in the game it was only minor (even listed only minor for eliminating CS after a certain point). When I was cutting a swath through Morocco their first few cities were minor then it upped to major for the next batch and finally extreme for the last one... whether this is altered by total cities (civs on other continent were embroiled in war and two got eliminated) or remaining cities of specific civ, I have yet to determine.

Top Bottom