[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

Kael, and all who helped you with this: I just wanted to say, that this mod is utterly fantastic!

If only Firaxis demonstrated half the creativity, the vision, the attention to detail, the craftsmanship that you have brought to life in this mod . . . well, Civ out of the box would be about 1000% better than it was.

I applaud you vigorously! Amazing, AMAZING!

All of the suggestions given are valid in and of themselves, but hardly that applicable. When I'm on the offensive it will likely, logically, include some of my toughest units. But I can hardly just annihilate every enemy stronghold in the blink of an eye, and the enemy will have the advantage of mobility within their own borders more likely than not. So they can just launch assassins from behind their city walls, and there's not a whole lot to be done about it. And when I do take a city it gets even worse, because my more experienced units will be wounded at this point, and become immediate prey for more assassin strikes. And I really think that requiring a unit to be level 6 (in general) before they can act as guard for the stack is a bit harsh. Guardsman is not really that hot of a promotion, since it fills only that purpose, so.. I dunno. I don't feel that it would hurt that much to make it more accessible. But that might just be me.

This is hardly the right place to discuss that however, I suggest starting a thread in either the Fall from Heaven forum or it's Strategy sub forum.
Though if you do a search there probably already is a few of those threads laying around, possibly not up to date however.

Personally, I like the assassin ability, but I think they are too strong. I would almost prefer if they could only kill mages and heroes, and only weaken other units (by taking out their leaders), etc. (The marksman unit could possibly keep this ability like it is).

I wish to point out two balancing issues that were greatly aggravated by the changes in the research costs. I dunno if I am right here so if I should utter my concerns elsewhere just say so.

1. The priests of winter come a little earlier and last much longer (due to the much later champions). They have been imba ever since due to their insane strength of 7, auto-xp and strength 5 ice-elementals (with time they crack just about any city defense around turn 120, being turn 100 for others due to stasis).
Possible solutions:
a) Shift the ritual to fanatism. It's worth it.
b) Weaken the Priests (game would lose a lot of "flavour")
c) Greatly increase Hammer costs of ritual
d) Connect a negative effect to the ritual (e.g. large diplomatic malus "you revive the lore of the god of stasis" or whatever)

2. AV becomes even more insane compared to any other path: Get AV, go for Fanatism, when it takes you 15 turns to complete it, switch to the demonic pact, after you have it, immediately build the grimoire and resume fanatism, get Demon-Tech with grimoire = Mardero + 4 Agares-Beasts before turn 250. Due to cost increase on champions this becomes highly problematic (all numbers on highest difficulty):
Champions: 2800 + 4550 = 7350
AV: 630 + 525 + 490 + 1400 = 3045
Fana+Pact: 1400 + 560 + 3150 + 2100 = 7210
->roughly 3000 res + build time = 15 + 5 turns after other players get champions, you have Mardero (ST:14), 4 Agares-Beasts (ST:16) and some of the insane AV priests. And then for a loooooooooooong time champions will be the strongest challenge coming across. Note additionally that with AV+Priest-tech (=4445 res-points) you get champion-strength units which are only 3/4 the cost, as you can heal(!) diseased corpses.
Possible solutions:
a) Delete the grimoire. It is imba and sucks.
b) Completely change the grimoire (e.g. you can cast a random "demonic" spell every 10 turns, always with the slight risk of it going badly wrong, i.e. barbarian demon. That would make it clearly a Hyborem-Wonder because of his peace with barbs, which I would consider a good "flavour change")
c) Change Grimoire gradually (e.g. it gives 5000 free tech points, that's roughly the points you invest to get there, which can be used to get ~40% of the demon-tech or if you like can get you a number of cheaper techs you can skip before to get AV even faster)

Otherwise I really appreciate the changes, as they
a) slightly weaken the lanun,
b) greatly balance the svart starting-tech-advantage,
c) give sheaim a little edge by increasing the importance of pyre zombies and giving them time to get their ****ing expensive portals,
d) giving the calabim an edge, as their vamps now come well in advance of the former dreaded champs (with higher base strength),
e) make the rangers no longer obsolete,
f) make bow-riders an option, thus strengthening the Hippus-Horselords,
g) make the priests valuable beyond their casting abilities as they now come well in advance of champs.

I dunno how much of these often very heavy balancing changes were intended. Just wanted to point out some (there are lots more, I have not yet analysed) of them.

A bizarre encounter with Assassins:

I was fighting Faeryl who had built Nox Noctis, so I couldn't see what was coming, although I was the Sidar with the home field advantage, so I'd just chewed up about 100 of her Champs and Nixs. Yvain is fully healed and powered up (combat 5) in a stack of 20 or so various units.

She brings an Assassin and Yvain (!) defends. Yvain proceeds to eat about 15 Assassins in succession, with some of Faeryl's own Assassins defending after Yvain commands them. Eventually Yvain takes one for the team, and the rest of the stack survives the 30 or so additional units Faeryl throws at them.

Very strange all around.

it's working exactly as intended. Yvain may be very powerful, but he has channeling III and Hero. two promotions that make assassins very likely to target him. it does make Yvain a good assassin trap :D

Hey Kael, the readme.rtf in patch P has this text at the top:
Code:
Fall from Heaven 2
Version 0.40k

A little confusing for those of us who double check readme.rtf to see exactly what version we're running.

Hi guys, i need some help with finding patch .034 for fall from heaven 2 so i can install the latest fall further mod. I tried to install fall further but it asking for patch .34 and i can't find it any where. Please help much appreciated.

I get the option to switch to Hyborem and just ate the world up very quickly I basically took it over with one super stack army that quickly emerged. Led by my level 9 champions and head demon guy.

no one could stand against me once I took the fear promotion I felt invincible. I just stopped after taking the second continent.

To give myself a slight penalty I let all the slaves I kept conquering go on "Auto" which meant they made farms, even though it appears I didn't really use them. In fact, I didn't understand the resource model fully as Hyborem. As a Demonlord I had little use for cities I conquered except to keep producing fresh troops. So I'd just draft to my hearts content and air drop wherever I need them. Sometimes to "Roleplay" I'd even burn down a city if it resisted too much.

(There were three big continents and 9 players).

I wonder, what is the strategy to defeat hyborem if it appears early or are you hosed?

It seemed my hell terrain just quickly eroded the entire world.

Is there an option not to bring it in the world?

Patch "q" is linked in the first post. It won't break save games and fixes the following issues:

1. Fixed a crash when barbarian cities are viewed (thanks snarko!).
2. Lunatic cost reduced from 120 to 90, they no longer cost upkeep and the dont start with Enraged (just Crazed).
3. Duins create werewolf from combat chance raised from 25% to 75%.
4. Greater werewolves create werewolf from combat chance raised from 15% to 45%.
5. Blooded werewolves create werewolf from combat chance raised from 10% to 30%.
6. Ravenous werewolves create werewolf from combat chance raised from 5% to 15%.
7. Koun starts with the techs of the empire he split from in the empire split event.
8. Settlers are now correctly marked defensive only (this will keep the Momus scenario form mutating them as well as fix other things).
9. Fixed a CtD that can occur during colony splits.
10. Colony splits will typically stay the same civ and use a minor leader for a leader.
11. Fixed a CtD on Vista caused by the isInvisible check in setXY.

I'm getting a fatal error message, BAD MEMORY ALLOCATION 0x0045f27a, unable to "read" 0x00000000, cannot move memory file, etc...

I was playing a huge map with lots of players but I have bought a new computer (partially for the needed horsepower playing civilization) so there is plenty memory and processing power, I'm also using CachemanXp to auto-regulate and stabilize memory usage. does anybody know what causes this problem??

When I load the last save, it starts again but when I try to save it, the fatal error occurs again...

Hi,

I am playing a huge map on my computer, it's a Intel core Duo CPU, 3.17 Ghz with NVIDEA GeForce 9800GT. The computer has Cachemanxp installed for memory control. (its a windows xp home edition)

Now, this message pops up and Fall from heaven is suddenly terminated;

Failed to allocate video memory, please try reducing your graphics settings. I was playing on the Medium graphic level...

File:\main\Civilization4\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\NiDX9Renderer\NiDxSourceTexturedata.cpp, Line : 321

This application (Civ4) has requested the runtime termination in an unusual way, please contact the application support team for more information.

Can anyone play a huge map in Fall from heaven without slowing down or crashing their computer?? Shouldn't my computer be able to handle this? :scan:

I'm getting a fatal error message, BAD MEMORY ALLOCATION 0x0045f27a, unable to "read" 0x00000000, cannot move memory file, etc...

I was playing a huge map with lots of players but I have bought a new computer (partially for the needed horsepower playing civilization) so there is plenty memory and processing power, I'm also using CachemanXp to auto-regulate and stabilize memory usage. does anybody know what causes this problem??

When I load the last save, it starts again but when I try to save it, the fatal error occurs again...

Problem solved thanks to this guy fvlatino987, here is his solution, I installed the new drivers and Fall from heaven works perfect again. My screen resolution tends to switch from 1024 to something else sometimes after starting up again, but thats just a minor problem to be solved in comparrisement with the memory failure problems I had before. A big thank you for this guy and I post his message for others with similiar problems.

*SOLUTION FOUND (FOR ME)*

Im including the entire story here, but for those who cant be bothered with meaningless rambling (which I tend to do), the general summary is that after trying all sorts of solutions (all the ones recommended in these forums, as well as others) I inadvertently fixed this problem on MY computer by installing Omega's nVidia drivers. Omega drivers are well-known, but for those unfamiliar with them, they're a third party provider that offers performance-tweaked, quality-improvement drivers for nVidia and ATI cards. People usually install them to improve texture quality for other, more memory-intensive games, but they're also known for stability. I installed them trying to improve Call of Duty 2, but I noticed that they fixed the crashing issues with my Civ Warlords game, even on Huge maps with graphic settings set to maximum. www.omegadrivers.net

Basically, my background story is the same as everyone else's: I would receive a "Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings" message about halfway through single-player games on Standard maps or larger (usually in the early modern age on Small or Duel maps). I found this very annoying, but also very interesting, especially b/c the game ran just fine on my much older, much outdated desktop. My laptop (where I would receive the error) has 1GB RAM, a 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300 card, with Intel Duo Core processor(s) at 2GHz each. I had a hard time believing it really was my mediocre laptop's fault when I realized I could finish a full Huge-map game on my 4 year old desktop with half as much RAM and a 64MB Geforce MX440 card (admittedly it would run a little slow, but it NEVER crashed).

I tried so many solutions my head still hurts. I re-installed Windows XP, updated my BIOS, my chipset drivers, upgraded back to Service Pack 2 etc. etc. and re-installed Warlords. It still kept crashing. I enabled the HideOutOfRAMWarning option, and almost had a heart attack when it worked pefectly for a few more turns, then almost had a stroke when it crashed without warning. I tried the Memory Saver option. I tried disabling PAK memory mapping. I lowered my graphics all the way. All delayed but none actually fixed the inevitable crash.

I eventually gave up, hoping (I still do) that Beyond the Sword would correct this issue. Then months later, while looking for a way to improve texture quality for Call of Duty2, I decided to install Omega's Drivers (which Id known about for some time, but never actually tried). I replaced my nVidia drivers with their nVidia forceware 1.6693 version. Call of Duty looked even prettier.

And then one day my friend asked me to fix resources and starting locations for this Earth scenario of his, on Warlords. I opened it, went to worldbuilder, and got to work. It took me about 20 seconds to realize...my game was running smoothly. Like, very smoothly. I panned around, I sporadically clicked on the mini map, I zoomed in and out and in again- it was borderline magical, IT DIDNT CRASH. Determined to prove myself wrong, I upped all the graphic settings to maximum and went to 1680x1050 resolution (highest allowed on my monitor), then opened an old save file (Huge map, 18 civs, hundreds of cities/units all over the place). I actually finished the game, and was so happy I started a thermonuclear war instead of trying and finishing with a high score. IT DID NOT CRASH; it didnt even do that choppy stuff it does when its about to freeze.

Im interested to hear if these drivers fix other people's issues as well. Its not like I made a great discovery or anything (Omega drivers have been around for A WHILE). But at least to ME it makes sense: my old desktop has older drivers, my newer laptop has newer drivers, and I've heard lots of people complain about certain instability issues on newer drivers putting too much load on a computer's video memory.

For those unfamiliar with what to do, here's my recommendation. PLEASE LET US KNOW if Omega drivers work for you too. I wanna know b/c this isnt a "core fix", its just a set of third party drivers, but they might fix the issue for other people as well.

1) Download the driver installation file at www.omegadrivers.net
2) Uninstall your current drivers. Control Panel -> Add/Remove Program for Nvidia Drivers; Im assuming its the same for ATI.
3) Run the downloaded file; itll extract some stuff then run the installation.
4) It should restart, if not do this yourself. Upon reboot, the Found New Hardware menu should pop-up; you're updating Display Adapters. Choose "Install from specific location" -> Dont search. I will choose driver -> Have disk -> (Folder where files were extracted, usually C:\Program Files\Nvidia Omega Drivers for nVidia version, probably similar for ATI) -> Choose the nv4_disp.inf directly inside the 2KXP_INF folder -> (see Step's 5 and 6) install.
5) They're not digitally signed, just ignore these warnings. DONT REPLACE NEWER FILES; if it says theres a newer version of anything, dont replace it. (My computer didnt work the first time i tried, when I overwrote existing files, but when I later selected No to All it worked perfect).
6) If your particular card isnt on the list, you may have to do some research to find what category it falls under. I have a Geforce 7300 GO card, which wasnt listed, but I asked a friend and he told me this is also known as an Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M card, so I chose "Nvidia Quadro NVS" as my card, and it worked.
7) Restart when everything is installed.
8) I still have the "HideOutofRAMWarning" set to 1 in my civilization.ini file. I opened Rhye's and Fall of Civilization on maximum settings and when it finished "loading" it gave me the message, but instead of crashing it kept playing normally. (???) So I disabled the error notification feature and the game works fine. Strange.

My PC is a little slower and has an older GFX card, and it runs just fine, so I suppose it is something different. Have you tried to turn off Cachemanxp for running the game?

Deleted. It was a bad install. Sorry.....

My PC is a little slower and has an older GFX card, and it runs just fine, so I suppose it is something different. Have you tried to turn off Cachemanxp for running the game?

Thanks, good to know the stuff should work!

I uninstalled Cachemanxp and reinstalled FreeRamxp pro, that's the one that I used on my older pc and wich used to work fine back then. I will ceck it out in the next game. FFH rules! :crazyeye:

Is the title screen really meant to show the 1995 Master of Magic II background...and play Baba Yetu?

I played the original FfH and it had a beautiful title screen and haunting music. What the hell happened?

Is the title screen really meant to show the 1995 Master of Magic II background...and play Baba Yetu?

I played the original FfH and it had a beautiful title screen and haunting music. What the hell happened?

You can change your main menu graphics in the game options.

Top Bottom