Mod Idea: The Wild West

How's the mod coming?

Well, honestly I haven't made any updates to it for about 6 weeks now. :sad: I just got out of school, so I should have more time to mod, but recently I've been getting into more programming in Objective-C/Cocoa and playing around with the Blender game engine.
I've finally got a bit of time opened up, and as the summer goes on I'll get even more until school starts again. I guess we'll just have to see if I feel more like modding Civ or programming. (It would also help a lot if more people were interesting in modding Col...)

Just a quick idea here, but what do you guys think would work better; keep this for Col or transplant what I have to BTS (assuming I get it running?) It would work nicely for the railroads, and there would be a much larger fanbase.

Please stay with colonization! The game mechanics will work much better and make the game far more interesting. You'll be able to get a fanbase. As far as the mod, I'd like to help, unfortunately I doubt there's really all that much I could do. However, I can give you some ideas.

St. Louis as a home port is a good idea, just make a fairly arbitrary city surrounded by Europe tiles, "Europe" of course being the United States. As far as getting to the home city, Wagon trains and railroads have already been brought up, and are good ideas (it would especially assist the western feel if bandits on the way home were a threat). You could also have navigable rivers ala the Chinese Unification warlords scenario and use river barges. I know that to have rivers all the way out west doesn't work for everything, but rivers would be a help if players build cities along the rivers, then wagon-train supplies to the riverain cities and send them back to the home port that way.

As for your forth civ, I would recommend Cascadia or the Republic of the Pacific, both the same state, just different names. The names refer to an idea of a republic formed from northern california, oregon, washington, and british columbia. Yes, I'll admit it's somewhat fanciful, but this whole mod will wind up being that way. The idea is atleast well grounded, and meshes well with your other states As far as leaders, there's always George Abernathy, first governor of oregon's provisional government, John Mcloughlin, head of a prominent fur company at fort vancouver who advocated for an independent state, and the co-founders of portland, Asa Lovejoy and Francis Pettygrove.

Personally for the above leader choice I would like to see George Abernathy and Asa Lovejoy(Lovejoy was more politically prominent than Abernathy, despite losing a coin toss to name portland)

Here's a flag too. http://republic-of-cascadia.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/doug_flag_flat3.jpg

I have a bunch of western music you could use, however, I'm not sure about whether or not it would be okay to use it. the fellows at the ancient mediterranean mod have used images and music from some recent movies, and there's plenty of other similar cases, so if it's not a problem I could email you some music!

As far as the mexico situation, I think it would best as a tribe. That way they'd allow a the first city to be founded (like the texas settlers), but more land would anger them, you'd have to pay, and eventually fight them. Sending your units to mexican cities to Learn professions also works. The only problem I can see with making them a tribe is establishing missions and getting presents form the chief (i.e treasure). I don't know, perhaps they'd also work as a fifth civ that's just on the map.

In the future, perhaps the Canadian west could be included?

I'll also see about getting together some citylists and founding fathers for you.

I'll help however I can, I'd love to see this, and I think it has great potential, as a Nevadan I endorse this mod! :goodjob:

Cascadia City List
Spoiler :
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PORTLAND
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_EUGENE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SEATTLE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SPOKANE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VICTORIA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VANCOUVER
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KLAMATH
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_JUNEAU
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_YREKA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MOUNT_SHASTA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LAKE_CITY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OLYMPIA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KELOWNA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WALLA_WALLA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TACOMA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LONGVIEW
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SUMMERLAND
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MACKENZIE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KELOWNA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MISSOULA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BOISE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SALEM
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CANYON_CITY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HAWK_INLET
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WRANGELL
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HADLEY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SURREY

Bear Republic City List
Spoiler :
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SACRAMENTO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NEW_HELVETIA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_FRANSISCO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_STOCKTON
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MODESTO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FRESNO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SALINAS
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NAPA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VISALIA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_REDDING
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LOS_ANGELES
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_DIEGO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_JOSE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TRUCKEE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANTA_CRUZ
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ANAHEIM
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANTA_BARBARA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANTA_ANA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_YUCCA_VALLEY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HESPERIA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SUTTERS_CREEK
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SONOMA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PASADENA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CARLSBAD
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BARSTOW
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ROSEVILLE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BIG_SUR

Deseret State
Spoiler :
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SALT_LAKE_CITY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OGDEN
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_EPHRAIM
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FILLMORE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MOUNTAIN_MEADOWS
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NEW_ZION
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GUNNISON
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NEPHI
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LEHI
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_JOSEPH_CITY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CEDAR_CITY
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GRAND_JUNCTION
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HERBER_OVERGAARD
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OREM
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PLEASANT_GROVE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PAYSON
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VERNAL
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_RICHFIELD
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FILLMORE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MONROE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MOAB
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GREEN_RIVER
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_PANGUITCH
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ST_GEORGE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KANAB
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MANTI
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LEE’S FERRY

Republic of Texas
Spoiler :
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_COLUMBIA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GALVESTON
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HOUSTON
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AUSTIN
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_ANTONIO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VELASO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HARRISBURG
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_EL_PASO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BEAUMONT
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LAREDO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LUBBOCK
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ABILENE
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WICHITA_FALLS
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AMARILLO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FORT_WORTH
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TEXARKANA
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CORPUS_CHRISTI
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DENTON
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DALLAS
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BIG_SPRING
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MIDLAND
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SAN_ANGELO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GARLAND
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TYLER
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DEL_RIO
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MARBLE_FALLS
CityList=TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MESQUITE

That I did! Texas Fixed!. I'm working on some founding fathers as well as leader traits. I might actually take up XML editing for this mod, I'd love to help out!

Here's the founding fathers ideas I have so far (it's late, I'll try to crack out 52+ ideas though)

John Coffee Hays- +25% Great General Emergence, Free promotion Skirmisher I, Minuteman I for gunpowder and Mounted Units

Jedidiah Smith- Free Promotion Mountaineer I, Mountaineer 2 for gunpowder units

John William Mackay- +50% Silver per settlement

James Marshall- +25% gold per settlement

Samuel Clemens- +3 bells per printing press and colonist

Bartleston-Bidwell Party- Gives 1 Wagon and 1 Free Colonist(Homesteader?)

Here are some I'll be trying to work in
Pierre-Jean De Smets, Helped map indian territories, probably +25% cheaper purchases? Maybe revealing all sioux settlements or something? Similar to Sepulveda.

Theodore Judah- Something to do with trains. Cheaper Railroad costs

Liver-Eating Johnson- +50% pillaging, maybe free promotion for combat bonus against natives? Man deserves to be in this mod if you ask me.

EDIT: well, I'm more well rested, I can be of help to this mod, I've started working with the XML to produce leaders, traits, and colonies. It won't have any new artwork, just working on the mechanics first. Not worried about the art though, CFKane, the mod is you're idea and you're also good with leader-heads. I'll be using your brigham young LH for the moment for, brigham young.

Wow! This is some damn good work! :goodjob:
I think I should start back in on this mod again, though how soon I don't know. The city list is especially useful, thanks! I think maybe if I finished off the civs (esp. tribes), get my Houston lh done, and figure out the railroads, I could get a rough beta out pretty quick. Then we could work on the mod together.

I'm really interested in the idea of Cascadia. I have Oregon in right now, but it would be a simple switch as Cascadia seems to be near the same just expanded a ways.

thank you for kicking my ass back into modding! :D

Flintlock, if you want, I'll try to help with the XML.

Glad to see someone so interested in the mod!

I think you copied the Deseret citylist into the Texas list by mistake.

UPDATED POWERS

Cascadia- Britain or Canada

California- United States

Deseret- Spain (they went to Spain to colonize, not US, and it would free up the US for the Bear Flag Republic)

Texas- Mexico

Why not just make them all subject to the united states? It makes more sense.

We talked about that, and at the moment programming all factions to have the same parent is a bit too complicated.

Unless there's another Colonization mod that creates a single King for all nations, this won't likely happen

Check the Australia mod, they all have the same Queen... think that's Piman's work, tho i may be wrong (again!) :)

This mod looks great!:goodjob:
Geuss im a bit late, but id love to help with the xml too!:)

Is this coming along, or has it stalled?

I think it's stalled:sad:

Yea, its stalled. I was planning on working on it a bit before, but I got really sidetracked with trying to learn how to program. Its really getting interesting and I don't plan on starting in again anytime soon. I might come back if I get the urge, but for now I'm going to learn to program and maybe start making my own games.

I'll post what I have now on tuesday, if anyone wants to take the project over. the things that I can think of that need to be done are: fix the railroads, add Cfkane's Brigham Young, add the city names, and change Oregon to Cascadia. (Yeah, I've been lazy, I know.)

If you're interested in taking over, let me know (although I'll likely still put it up regardless.)

I'd be willing to help out with some things- I could easily do the city lists and the name change.

What is wrong with the railroads?

Well they restrict just fine, its just that they look like roads without any connections and you can only place them via worldbuilder (ie they can't be built.)

I'm sure if you went through all of the files you could just copy the road's info for a second route.

Top Bottom