Modified Scenarios Workshop

Here you go. I haven't played the scenario yet, but I did notice that there are ironclads in the navies of both sides right from the start of the scenario, and they have superior stats to the steam frigates. In reality, the ironclad was invented by the French during the Crimean War and all the examples built by both the French and British during its course were intended as bombardment platforms and not as warships. The were slow and unmaneuvreable to the extent that they had to be towed by other ships to positions where they could fire on the Russian coastal fortifications; they had no ability as 'proper ' ships and were incapable of effectively taking on conventional vessels. The Russians did not build any. When I was drawing the units I assumed that 'ironclad II' was a progression from 'ironclad I' and therefore drew the latter as typical of the bombardment monitors built during the war and the former as its ultimate development, the 'proper' French ironclad Gloire which didn't commission until 1860. It was only when I started playing the scenario I noticed 'ironclad I' was Russian and 'ironclad II' was Anglo-French. If you are going to make any further changes to the scenario I'd do something to sort this out!

The other thing I noticed from the rules was that the British general is named Cardigan. In reality he was an utterly incompetent brigade commander who was famous for two things: giving his name to the button-up sweater and leading his Light Brigade in a utterly ridiculous suicidal charge against Russian guns, resulting in its destruction. The actual overall commander of the British forces was called Raglan, so you might want to change this in the rules.

Units.png

Attachments

• crimea units n staticspr.zip
    209.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Here you go. I haven't played the scenario yet, but I did notice that there are ironclads in the navies of both sides right from the start of the scenario, and they have superior stats to the steam frigates. In reality, the ironclad was invented by the French during the Crimean War and all the examples built by both the French and British during its course were intended as bombardment platforms and not as warships. The were slow and unmaneuvreable to the extent that they had to be towed by other ships to positions where they could fire on the Russian coastal fortifications; they had no ability as 'proper ' ships and were incapable of effectively taking on conventional vessels. The Russians did not build any. When I was drawing the units I assumed that 'ironclad II' was a progression from 'ironclad I' and therefore drew the latter as typical of the bombardment monitors built during the war and the former as its ultimate development, the 'proper' French ironclad Gloire which didn't commission until 1860. It was only when I started playing the scenario I noticed 'ironclad I' was Russian and 'ironclad II' was Anglo-French. If you are going to make any further changes to the scenario I'd do something to sort this out!

The other thing I noticed from the rules was that the British general is named Cardigan. In reality he was an utterly incompetent brigade commander who was famous for two things: giving his name to the button-up sweater and leading his Light Brigade in a utterly ridiculous suicidal charge against Russian guns, resulting in its destruction. The actual overall commander of the British forces was called Raglan, so you might want to change this in the rules.

View attachment 690820
I love the Fairline units, as always amazing... But I think your knowledge is even better (if possible). My knowledge of that moment is rather scarce, I have in my memory a film I think by Errol Flynn (quite "heroic" and fake) and "The Last Charge" ("The Charge of the Light Brigade"), a magnificent (in some moments) war film much more realistic... The original scenario had armored ships and their evolution, I think the war was too brief to present advances, but if we continue playing the scenario (for example beyond 1860), I think that the contenders can develop their weapons (as happened in the American Civil War), so I would exclude the Russians and Turks from having that technology at the beginning, but I would leave them the option of developing it... The problem comes with the Alliance... And there it can only be fixed by events... That's why I'm going to make changes in the scenario and I'll keep you informed. The change of British commander seems perfect to me... Any other idea or insights from this historical moment (especially if I can include more units) will always be welcome.

Hi all,

Simon de Bree's "Hannibal" scenario has been updated to run with ToTPP. It can be downloaded from the CivFanatics download section located here.

The city, icons, people, terrain and units graphics have been updated along with some other map changes.

I would like to extend a very special note of gratitude to Fairline for reviewing and updating my unit grid (especially the leaders)!

I’d never played the scenario beforehand and found it to be very well made and fun to play.

View attachment 690836
What, no redux of the plague unit? ☠️

Definitely looking good, though.

:love: With these units I include winter without a doubt.
Here's a couple of the missing infantry in winter gear and a static.spr file for them. I'm in two minds about putting the Anglo-French cavalry in greatcoats; they are often illustrated fighting in their normal uniforms against Russian cavalry in greatcoats. What do you think?

Winter Units.png

Attachments

• crimea units n staticspr winter.rar
    159.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I love the Fairline units, as always amazing... But I think your knowledge is even better (if possible). My knowledge of that moment is rather scarce, I have in my memory a film I think by Errol Flynn (quite "heroic" and fake) and "The Last Charge" ("The Charge of the Light Brigade"), a magnificent (in some moments) war film much more realistic... The original scenario had armored ships and their evolution, I think the war was too brief to present advances, but if we continue playing the scenario (for example beyond 1860), I think that the contenders can develop their weapons (as happened in the American Civil War), so I would exclude the Russians and Turks from having that technology at the beginning, but I would leave them the option of developing it... The problem comes with the Alliance... And there it can only be fixed by events... That's why I'm going to make changes in the scenario and I'll keep you informed. The change of British commander seems perfect to me... Any other idea or insights from this historical moment (especially if I can include more units) will always be welcome.
As regards the ironclads, I would delete all of them at the start of the scenario (or replace with frigates maybe). Have a few of the 'ironclad I' awarded by an event to the Anglo-French in 1855. Lose the Ironclad II altogether.

Hi all,

Simon de Bree's "Hannibal" scenario has been updated to run with ToTPP. It can be downloaded from the CivFanatics download section located here.

The city, icons, people, terrain and units graphics have been updated along with some other map changes.

I would like to extend a very special note of gratitude to Fairline for reviewing and updating my unit grid (especially the leaders)!

I’d never played the scenario beforehand and found it to be very well made and fun to play.

Having lots of fun with this gem of a scenario - thanks for the meticulous conversion and adaptation Tootall.

I think there might be a typo in events4_base.txt: the prompt to save and run the bat file says to select "Part 4 of scenario" from the options list. Surely this should be "Part 5 of scenario"?

Also a typo in the rules file: calvary rather than cavalry. Someone should be crucified for that mistake. I'll get my coat....

Also a typo in the rules file: calvary rather than cavalry. Someone should be crucified for that mistake. I'll get my coat....
And I get skewered around here for dastardly puns. :p

Having lots of fun with this gem of a scenario - thanks for the meticulous conversion and adaptation Tootall.

I think there might be a typo in events4_base.txt: the prompt to save and run the bat file says to select "Part 4 of scenario" from the options list. Surely this should be "Part 5 of scenario"?

Hi all,

A thanks to Fairline for reporting these small bugs and as such I've updated the scenario files wherever required. The updated files are now part of version 1.1 in the scenario's download section here:
  • Fixed events4_base.txt and events4_advanced.txt files. Prompt now asks to "select "Part 5 of base scenario" from the options list", rather than Part 4.
  • Fixed 'Calvary' unit typo in rules files (now Cavalry)

Here's a couple of the missing infantry in winter gear and a static.spr file for them. I'm in two minds about putting the Anglo-French cavalry in greatcoats; they are often illustrated fighting in their normal uniforms against Russian cavalry in greatcoats. What do you think?

View attachment 690898
I think it's magnificent.
As regards the ironclads, I would delete all of them at the start of the scenario (or replace with frigates maybe). Have a few of the 'ironclad I' awarded by an event to the Anglo-French in 1855. Lose the Ironclad II altogether.
I also think it's the best solution. I'll slow down the battleships I, and I'll have to figure out how to make them useful in attack on land but useless at sea... What if I nullify the ability of the rest of the ships to attack on land by making them have submarine advances? It will certainly give them an advantage and I can also increase their advances, reducing them in winter.

Top Bottom