Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I just moved it somewhere else.

I realized the problem was that there were typos in my code to adjust the era transition artwork. I've updated the original thread with the corrected code. Apparently the Art Define for the Worker unit in Firaxis's original code has an extra underscore for some reason and that was throwing off my code adjustment. Go figure...

I realized the problem was that there were typos in my code to adjust the era transition artwork. I've updated the original thread with the corrected code. Apparently the Art Define for the Worker unit in Firaxis's original code has an extra underscore for some reason and that was throwing off my code adjustment. Go figure...

That sounds like Firaxis alright.

For some reason with the leaders they call everyone by their first name internally, or sometimes by their first and last names... EXCEPT Ethiopia, for which they use only the last name. `LEADER_SELASSIE'...no idea why.

Internally the value that controls how strongly the AI cares about ideologies based on the era was called "DiplpEmphasisLatePolicies" until I corrected it, too.

Anyway, I corrected the code.

Done a couple of games this version, I really like the AI here (especially compared to the december beta).
I feel it's possible to make long lasting alliances, even with direct neighbors, so far I've been friends with babylon from the start of the game until information era despite high border malus and some wonder spamming hate. Compared to the december beta where I had a long standing ally with shared trade routes and religion, and for who I took back the capital from one enemy and gave back to him, he backstab me not 20 turns after I gave him back his capital.
Only thing I've found a bit odd, at least compared to how the AI was in the past, is in this version the aggression against city states is very very high, especially in the early game from authority civs, each authority civ usually kills 1 or 2 city states at least in the first two eras if they are withing reach (in communitas map). On maps with even more land extension ,like huge highlands, authority civs also will try to kill their nearest city state despite having tons of room to expand. In fact, I had a game where englad started a war on kabul in early ancient and finalled took it down during renaissance their renaissance era period. But I also had civs like India with tradition actually attack and take a city state when their UU came online, was kinda weird to see I got to admit.
Aside from that, I've had some CTD when looking at the technology tree, spy UI, and the artist placement and trading UI (these last 2 ones never gave me any issues in the past) in the late game in huge maps, but I guess this must be a memory issue sadly.

Last edited:
Done a couple of games this version, I really like the AI here (especially compared to the december beta).
I feel it's possible to make long lasting alliances, even with direct neighbors, so far I've been friends with babylon from the start of the game until information era despite high border malus and some wonder spamming hate. Compared to the december beta where I had a long standing ally with shared trade routes and religion, and for who I took back the capital from one enemy back to him, backstab me not 20 turns after I gave him back is capital.
Only thing I've found a bit odd, at least compared to how the AI was in the past, is in this version the aggression against city states is very very high, especially in the early game from authority civs, each authority civ usually kills 1 or 2 city states at least in the first two eras if they are withing reach (in communitas map). On maps with even more land extension ,like huge highlands, authority civs also will try to kill their nearest city state despite having tons of room to expand. In fact, I had a game where englad started a war on kabul in early ancient and finalled took it down during renaissance their renaissance era period. But I also had civs like India with tradition actually attack and take a city state when their UU came online, was kinda weird to see I got to admit.
Aside from that, I've had some CTD when looking at the technology tree, spy UI, and the artist placement and trading UI (these last 2 ones never gave me any issues in the past) in the late game in huge maps, but I guess this must be a memory issue sadly.

I've noticed the same thing — aggressive civs are basically aping the Mongols. From a gameplay perspective, dramatically reducing the number of surviving CS, vs keeping them as useful variables, is not a good thing.

The aim is to make leader personalities both more distinct and advantageous to them based on their unique traits
I assume me selecting Random Personalities in every game really messes the whole thing up, huh? :lol:

the aggression against city states is very very high, especially in the early game from authority civs, each authority civ usually kills 1 or 2 city states at least in the first two eras if they are withing reach

Same in my game. There are not many CS alive in medieval era already.

Hey, I think I found some problems with Venice !

The limitation of 3 Colonia cities at the same time doesn't work, I can have more.

I think the reduction of 30 % of penalities yield of the puppet cities doesn't work too.

And, I don't know if it is intended but puppet cities never prioritize great works (global wargames etc) so even whan I am the most industrious Civ of the game i am always at the bottom of the table :'(. I didn't have the problem with the original game so maybe it can be changed ?

I really love the new IA, a lot more "human" for me, my games are no longer "IA vs Human" !

I assume me selecting Random Personalities in every game really messes the whole thing up, huh? :lol:

Not quite. Random Personalities swaps the flavors for a random leader's flavors. So they'll still have distinct personalities (hopefully), just not the same ones.

Part of why I'm reworking this is to make that option more interesting, actually.

I've noticed the same thing — aggressive civs are basically aping the Mongols. From a gameplay perspective, dramatically reducing the number of surviving CS, vs keeping them as useful variables, is not a good thing.

Same in my game. There are not many CS alive in medieval era already.

I did make the AI more willing to attack them, but maybe that was overtuned. I'll make some adjustments soon.

In my recent deity games, somehow songhai is always in my game and they always demolish every single AI near him by turn 100. They will have 15-20 cities at around turn 100-120 and will always end up attacking me with their 2 era ahead units. Is there a way to remove certain AI in games without actually picking all the AIs. I realize only Songhai always cause me to lose deity games, without Songhai I will most likely win the game.

In my recent deity games, somehow songhai is always in my game and they always demolish every single AI near him by turn 100. They will have 15-20 cities at around turn 100-120 and will always end up attacking me with their 2 era ahead units. Is there a way to remove certain AI in games without actually picking all the AIs. I realize only Songhai always cause me to lose deity games, without Songhai I will most likely win the game.

What, did you think the burning city ruins behind him were just for show? :lol:

I think there's a mod that lets you do that, but I'm not sure what it is.

What, did you think the burning city ruins behind him were just for show? :lol:

I think there's a mod that lets you do that, but I'm not sure what it is.

Really Advanced Setup is the mod, it gives you a scroll list on one of the panes to select/de-select specific/all Civilizations.

Edit: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/really-advanced-setup.486324/

I'm not sure if this is an issue with this patch specifically, but just started a game (Deity/Epic) and realized that AI values horses a bit too much. It's turn 130, I'm sitting on a gold income of +125/turn and currently exporting 22 horses to 5 different civilizations at 4-5g/horse/turn. I've been doing this since very early game (capital has 12 horses) and I can honestly say that my whole civilization at this point is built on top of horse export. This would be fine in general, but I feel that the AI is just blindly accepting all horse-related trades regardless of whether or not they actually need horses. Basically, any time an AI had a gold income of more than 7/turn I sold them a horse for 5g/turn and they always happily accepted.

To illustrate my point, Ethiopia currently has 10 spare horses and they are importing 6 from me for a total of 33g/turn, while their actual income is +4g/turn and has been between negative and +10g for the whole time. So during the whole game, they've never been rich enough to justify such expensive horse purchases.

For the last ~8 games, horse sales have been pretty much the only way I've been able to keep up with early game AI at Deity level, but I don't think I've ever seen AI loving horses this much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom