New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I already said a space marine chapter. not ultra, but undecided which ones.

Sorry I missed you. You've been added. I'm temporarily reserving the 2nd Marine chapter for someone I've already promised. It might open up later.

If you're ready to start, you should make a real preview/signup thread. I'll probably take something, haven't decided what yet though.

Will do closer to the date.

I still need a map and I need to finish my practicum. Should be starting in September, unless my practicum is a lot easier than I expect it to be.

For the time being, anyone who wants to reserve a space should message me.

Thanks for the map, but I'm afraid it's not what we need. We need a tiny sub-sector to play around with. Something with no canon planets off on the eastern fringe.

Just saying if it hasn't been said, after some years, Fulton, you should elect a Warmaster to lead a mandatory Crusade.

I have an idea on multiple Cradle NESes. I'm thinking there could be different threads for each Cradle, although they are all part of the same world. When two Cradles meet, we will start a new thread with an updated map! It would eliminate knowing about events in a different cradle, until they actually meet. Of course, players may only join ONE cradle. :p

Cradle NESes are heresy and should be stamped out wherever possible. ;)

Even if polar bears didn't come in and shut it down, wouldn't this be amazingly hard to manage? It'd be even more difficult than PureNES, which has two threads and two mods, because of the higher numbers of cradles. There's the problem of disseminating information through a cradle as to the "new arrivals" over a few turns at least (unless you just decide to skip that problem entirely). Then, you have the problem of either having a crapload of players in a fully unified cradle, or else only a few in each individual one, which makes play up to the discoveries boring.

Seriously, if you could bring this off, it'd be great, but the sheer logistics of it seem mind-boggling. Lord_Iggy would need to get in on this, of course, as would the PureNES mods.

Cradle NESes are heresy and should be stamped out wherever possible. ;)

Even if polar bears didn't come in and shut it down, wouldn't this be amazingly hard to manage? It'd be even more difficult than PureNES, which has two threads and two mods, because of the higher numbers of cradles. There's the problem of disseminating information through a cradle as to the "new arrivals" over a few turns at least (unless you just decide to skip that problem entirely). Then, you have the problem of either having a crapload of players in a fully unified cradle, or else only a few in each individual one, which makes play up to the discoveries boring.

Seriously, if you could bring this off, it'd be great, but the sheer logistics of it seem mind-boggling. Lord_Iggy would need to get in on this, of course, as would the PureNES mods.
There could be a different mod for each cradle maybe... it would add to some of the mystique.

I have an idea on multiple Cradle NESes. I'm thinking there could be different threads for each Cradle, although they are all part of the same world. When two Cradles meet, we will start a new thread with an updated map! It would eliminate knowing about events in a different cradle, until they actually meet. Of course, players may only join ONE cradle. :p

That way, mods could drop out if they want, when cradles meet.

A grand idea, perhaps fit for some plane more out of touch with reality than this forum... Not that I believe this is impossible to pull off: we already have PureNES to disprove that. Still, I have a feeling that an undertaking so immense would be so cumbersome that it would likely collapse on itself after a few updates.

You're free to prove me wrong, though. Actually, I would like that very much. :p

Well, if I wasn't working on PureNES, it would be an interesting project. If you were to have a similarly sized map to PureNES (c. 4 times the size of Earth's), however, that would be a lot of time for mapmaking alone.

Of course, we could just steal a few maps and mix them together. ;)

True. It's been done at many occasions, but I think it would further risk people not embracing the undertaking. Simply because it's cheap.

And not just cheap--ugly, as well.

True, true. But guess from my experience, half of the NESers don't care how the map looks, and the other half have so specific tastes it makes judging what maps are ugly or not quite difficult. I, for example, like standardized mountains, but can't help feeling "connected" ranges are better than "stamped" ones. (Actually, this is a habit I'm tryingto get over, as drawing connected ones are a royal PITA, plus it makes the map look too stylicized.)

Well, if I wasn't working on PureNES, it would be an interesting project. If you were to have a similarly sized map to PureNES (c. 4 times the size of Earth's), however, that would be a lot of time for mapmaking alone.
But a map just twice earth size might work just fine. And then you would just need a great set of rules to match NKs fabulous map. :D

I might be able to volunteer to do a cradle, if it would be fairly low-maintenance (something to do while LINESII's on hiatus during my extremely busy upcoming school year).

I might be able to volunteer to do a cradle, if it would be fairly low-maintenance (something to do while LINESII's on hiatus during my extremely busy upcoming school year).

Iggy, anything you mod will become high maintenance, since you never leave updates to lower quality, and will invariably get quite a few players. So you'll either have month-long updates, or none at all. :)

Top Bottom