• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

News: TSG64 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 64
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the sixty-fourth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Science victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Augustus Caesar and lead The Roman Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Immortal difficulty and at standard pace. Science victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until August 1st to complete the game and submit.

Welcome back to our Mac players. Looks like BNW will be released for Mac at the same time as for Windows. :woohoo:

Civ V G&K - TSG64 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Augustus Caesar - Rome
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Immortal
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Raging Barbarians is enabled. Promotion Saving and Policy Saving are disabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Augustus Caesar, you possess Glory of Rome. You get +25% Production towards any building that already exists in the Capital.

You can train the Ballista, which replaces the Catapult. The Ballista is an excellent siege weapon as it is more powerful than the Catapult. It is extremely useful against cities, but is quite vulnerable to attack. Be sure to protect your Ballista with other military units. It must "set up", requiring 1 movement point, before attacking. You need to discover the technology of Mathematics and you do not need a resource to build it.

You can also train the Legion, which replaces the Swordsman. The Legion is the most powerful melee unit of the Classical Era. It can also construct roads and forts and is the only non-Worker unit able to do so. You need to discover the technology of Iron Working and you need the Iron resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please do not use this thread once you have opened the game save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Action thread. This thread is used to discuss the first 100 or so turns in your game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Thursday, 1 August 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Bread and circuses. I think you are obliged to move into those trees for fresh water and a mountain.

Great Caesar's Ghost! I see seven hills but where's the Tiber ? Good to see an elephant for the circuses, wheat for bread and incense for Jupiter's temple (or St. Peters or whatever). Peanut may come out of his shell after all these years and go roamin' through this one. Although his usual fate is to end up as crushed nuts around T200 or so. Here we go ...

My old friend Peanut. :thumbsup:

Hope you are well and that you crush your opposition, much as you used to. :hammer:

Nice to see you with a mouse in your hand again.

Best of luck.

Ah, Rome, the first civ I ever played! It's been too long since we last had fun together :D

I'm going to ICS like no tomorrow for this one. Not because it would be the best, but just because I never do usually. Glory to Rome!

Rome and science victory!

Romae gloria aeterna est

Will meditate if i settle next to mountain in the forest or in place. In view of observatory probably next to mountain

I think settling on that forest next to the mountain is a no-brainer, because it's also on the river so we can build an observatory, watermill and hydro plant. Since it's also flat terrain a windmill as well for the extra production and engineer slot.

I think settling on that forest next to the mountain is a no-brainer, because it's also on the river so we can build an observatory, watermill and hydro plant. Since it's also flat terrain a windmill as well for the extra production and engineer slot.

Don't forget Petra, if you are lucky enough!(though you can still build it settled in place, but you lose what you described)

Yes, Petra too. However, I was thinking more about the various buildings we could get in the capital to take advantage of the +25% production bonus of those buildings in our other cities.

Artemis>HG>Petra. Boy, that would be something. I always wonder if you could skip writing and still get to math fast enough.

I wonder what raging barbs will do to the AIs.

Budweiser, I'd been wondering that myself. Since the last immortal challenge was a Petra start with a race against Haile, I did a little experiment afterward. I tried beelining Petra, Library-Petra, and NC-Petra (for us OCCers), and my results were T75, T78, and T83 respectively (not trying for GL, which would obviously be the fastest way if you can get it).

This wasn't perfectly scientific, and obviously results would be different with a different start. If we weren't a week away from BNW I'd do the math out, but I think the takeaway is that you don't give up too much by locking in your science buildings first and you're better positioned if you miss. Maybe someone snags it before you waste turns on it, maybe you have no competition out there for it. Doesn't immediately look like it's make or break here, so I think I'll take the conservative route.

How do you get these starts with no food? Is this an edited map? A city should not start with no 2 food in the first ring. Anyway it is probably a good ide to move, maybe on the incence below, if the map is good, but definately near the mounain as this is a science VC.

Thank you! This will be a nice warm-up for BNW. Will move the settler first on ivory if nothing outstanding there, will move on forest.

I just had a freeze on the diplomacy screen, it may have something to do with the new patch. I loaded the autosave from the previous turn and it loaded straight into the diplomacy screen. This disappeared, as it should when exited, but unfortunately it took my entire UI with it, so I can't do anything. :(

I will rename this autosave, so that I can play other games, while hoping that this issue is fixed and I can continue with the game soon.

A player's save did not upload properly to the submission system as it appears the save format has changed. AlanH is on it now, so please keep a copy of your final save until we get it sorted out. Will let you know when things are ready.

Thank you for your patience.

There's a list of issues reported with the latest patch here. A freeze in the Diplo screen is one of them. There are more!

Top Bottom