Nice Simple Project

Patine

Deity
Although, indeed, I have many grand plans for scenarios to do or revisit that all have, by nature, high levels of complexity to do any justice to, I've decided to start by following a piece of advice @CurtSibling gave, and re-develop my somewhat rusty scenario-making skills with a simple and more-or-less straight-forward, but still interesting scenario before delving into my much grander plans, which, of late, always stall due to initially be daunted by various complexities and permutations necessitated by their design. I've decided to try a scenario that I don't believe I've seen done in a Civ2 scenario before (though I could be mistaken, there are many I'm unaware) of, but that being the Italo-Turkish War of 1911. I have most of the units I think I should need, most of them courtesy of @Tanelorn, with a few @Fairline ones in there. All I really need to make a good start at it is a good map of Libya and a respectable portion of the Mediterranean to the north, if any one knows where such a map may be found.

Try the various Afrika Korps scenarios for the map. One of them should roughly work and you can always "fudge" Europe if they dont

One of the skills a scenario designer needs is map making. Finding a perfect map already made is rare, especially for a specialized scenario such as the one you're proposing. I usually start with a paper map, usually from an old atlas, and draw a grid in pencil over the area I want to map. Then using the stock map editor that comes with Civ2, I mark the corners of the grid with glacier terrain, keeping mind that the horizontal distance (in tiles) must be twice that of the vertical to compensate for the stretched diamonds the game uses. I then draw the coastlines with grassland or plains, grid square by grid square, and then fill in the terrain. I mark the future sites of cities with some other terrain type, usually tundra. City spacing is key to scaling your map. You don't want them crowded together, nor do you want large empty areas of plains and grassland with no cities. I like cities whose radius overlaps here and there, but not too much, and where most fertile tiles fall within some city's radius. When that's done, it's just a matter of refining the map until it fits your needs. And of course, the terrain key feature of ToTPP allows easy modification of the map after the game has been saved. Good luck!

One of the skills a scenario designer needs is map making. Finding a perfect map already made is rare, especially for a specialized scenario such as the one you're proposing. I usually start with a paper map, usually from an old atlas, and draw a grid in pencil over the area I want to map. Then using the stock map editor that comes with Civ2, I mark the corners of the grid with glacier terrain, keeping mind that the horizontal distance (in tiles) must be twice that of the vertical to compensate for the stretched diamonds the game uses. I then draw the coastlines with grassland or plains, grid square by grid square, and then fill in the terrain. I mark the future sites of cities with some other terrain type, usually tundra. City spacing is key to scaling your map. You don't want them crowded together, nor do you want large empty areas of plains and grassland with no cities. I like cities whose radius overlaps here and there, but not too much, and where most fertile tiles fall within some city's radius. When that's done, it's just a matter of refining the map until it fits your needs. And of course, the terrain key feature of ToTPP allows easy modification of the map after the game has been saved. Good luck!

Much appreciated, Techumseh! :bow

Techumseh's way is the best way that makes the nicest looking maps but if you're not up to it, I've managed to make passable creations using Mercator's old map creation systems and Harlan Thompson's Greater Euro bitmap.

Techumseh's way is the best way that makes the nicest looking maps but if you're not up to it, I've managed to make passable creations using Mercator's old map creation systems and Harlan Thompson's Greater Euro bitmap.

I think your old Africa Korps map, clipped and trimmed at the edges with the Map Editor utility, and some changes in terrain types and placements, MIGHT work reasonably here.

Top Bottom