Nvidia Fix for Slow Performance. (maybe ATI too)

juniopp101

Chieftain
Go to http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=362
or www.guru3d.com and search for nvHardPage.

Download nvHardPage.

Unzip and run the program called nvHardPagese under the setup directory.

Under DirectX tab, scroll down until you see Direct3d Pixel and Vertex Shader Settings.

Downgrade your pixal shaders to 3.0.

Apply Settings now.

Close.

Run Civ4 and see if your performace is any better.

Not sure if this will fix everyone or anyone for that matter, but it is worth a try. Lemme know if it works or not for you.

I have a GeForce 6800 128mb NU, and it says that my default shaders are 3.0

So what should I downgrade to? 1.3? 1.1?

btw, if it doesn't work the first time also check the option
OVERRIDE SHADER SETTINGS.

If that doesn't do it, if you installed the OMEGA drivers they are actually older than the new Nvidia ones. Go to their site and install the latest drivers from nvidia 81.94.

Then redo the shader settings downgrading to 1.3 and checking the box.

Hope this works for you.

Well the game still runs pretty slow for me.

AMD Athlon 3000+

1 gig of DDR400 SD RAM, and a Ge Force FX 5200.

However I used this program and gained about 5 fps.

So wait if I have the omega drivers your saying to install the new drivers from nvidia in place of the omega drivers? Will I get the black terrain with the new nvidia drivers?

I have the 77.77 XG drivers.

The game doesn't run that bad, but I would still want more FPS than what I get atm. Sometimes the game goes down to around 14 FPS, and it gets annoying. Any map from standard up gets choppy as you expand more.

And of course, I also have the choppy wonder videos + cut out music. Not sure if this would fix that, but I'll try it anyways.

lifeaquatic said:
So wait if I have the omega drivers your saying to install the new drivers from nvidia in place of the omega drivers? Will I get the black terrain with the new nvidia drivers?

Life, if you were getting black terrain with the newest drivers installed you most likely still will. I went ahead and installed the omega drivers on this machine, and it worked fine except it was slow. When I applied the shader settings I still received slow performance.

I went back to the new Nvidia drivers, applied the shader setting and I'm back at speedy gameplay again.

Only thing I can suggest is give it a try. You can always go back to the older Omega drivers if you get black terrain with the Nvidia drivers. BTW, the drivers are not the cause of your black terrain, its the settings under the control panel for nvidia. I've been able to reproduce the black terrain effect and get rid of it by adjusting the settings in the Nvidia control panel.

PellaeonSZ said:
I have the 77.77 XG drivers.

The game doesn't run that bad, but I would still want more FPS than what I get atm. Sometimes the game goes down to around 14 FPS, and it gets annoying. Any map from standard up gets choppy as you expand more.

And of course, I also have the choppy wonder videos + cut out music. Not sure if this would fix that, but I'll try it anyways.

Pallaeon if you don't mind not having the wonder videos playing, you can cut them out to where they do not play. You can also skip the intro screens too. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\&Username&\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

Choose the .ini file there and tweak away.
You would want to set these:

; Enable Quick Slide Show Transitions
PopSlides = 0
; Set to 1 for no in-game movies
NoMovies = 1

Sorry to keep bugging but what specifc settings affected the black terrain?? Was it the settings from this tweak you downloaded or settings available on the taskbar for nvidia card?

I don't think I actually got the newest driver before going to the omega drivers. I have a geforce4 420 go, where do I get the latest driver then? I'll give er a try.

You should downgrade to 1.4 not 1.3 or 1.1 because 1.4 is faster. And if you have a 6800 you shouldn't need to force lower shaders.

distrukt said:
Well the game still runs pretty slow for me.

AMD Athlon 3000+

1 gig of DDR400 SD RAM, and a Ge Force FX 5200.

However I used this program and gained about 5 fps.

Distrukt, your system is exactly like mine...we might have some differences like BIOS, but the three features you mentioned are exact. I have not done a thing yet cause I thought the patch would be out soon.

The problems I have are the CTD ofcoarse, system locks up/freezes when a lot of graphics get involved (moving across a huge map) and the well known black map crap.

My question is/are you having the same problems and what have you done. I am not computer literate and there are too many suggestions out there, but none with great results.

Thanks for you input on this...I am running out of chill pills and I am mad with this mess from Sid.

thanx

Top Bottom