OCC deity culture

How did you gift a city while playing OCC? Perhaps you didn't tick the OCC box in Advanced Startup, but just played as a self-imposed OCC style?

Yes.
I just find it pointlessly tedious to add the step of walking great musicians 15 turns across the map to bomb the last annoying guy who hates you and can't be reached by trade routes.

It's also RNG otherwise because sometimes they'll settle a city near you, sometimes not. So I just remove that little big of RNG that randomly adds 15-20 turns to the victory, I think it's a more fair comparison between civs / people this way.

Whats wrong with legendary start? It just means you dont have to reroll so many times. I have gotten many times better starts without legendary start than with it

Whats wrong with legendary start? It just means you dont have to reroll so many times. I have gotten many times better starts without legendary start than with it

I should have taken a screenshot, but one time I had a legendary start that was in jungle marsh coastal with ONE FISH and ONE STONE. No luxuries in sight. Lol what.

I think that once lategame rolls around, you can convert some of those farms into chateaux.

I tried two games, seemed bad without uffizi or louvre, which you get at random, but maybe just theming hermitage / sistine and... one.. museum.... is enough?

Seems bad though.

They are quite good in an occ scenario. I did not do the math but you probably get the most amount of extra tourism from the uniques than any other civ.

You don't need many wonders for the UA to shine, just by having oxford, hermitage and a museum you get 14 extra TPT. Louvre seems pretty doable, maybe you were unlucky with that? In my games AI rarely opens exploration, and Louvre is still available in late game. If you can get Sistine Chapel that would be great. So that is another 8-12 TPT for those.
The chateau is also pretty important, you can get at least 3-4 of those since the capital will have 2-3 luxuries around it. I think with all bonuses one chateau ends up giving 6 TPT, so that is an extra 18-24 TPT.

All in all that is 40-48 TPT extra with France. Even more if you manage to get other wonders. Maybe Brazil during a golden age will trump that, but the jungle start will have other drawbacks.

Wanted to play that France map, but... required DLC not available. Seems like everyone and their mother has mods, but of course the game won't tell which ones.

I think that once lategame rolls around, you can convert some of those farms into chateaux.

Yes, also planting at least one GS in OCC game might be good idea.

He was very lucky with landmarks though; three in cap - usually I have 3-4 in normal 3-4 cities game.

OK, so if someone want a little more challenging OCC cultural game than Petra, desert, mountain start - here it is!

Although settle near mountain is tempting it would be yet another OCC observatory game ;), so I chose to settle between stones (to get marble and cow).

Wish me luck and good luck to everyone!

Attachments

• T0.jpg
    T0.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Napoleon_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    509.7 KB · Views: 164
Urgh, tough choice from the start :
- do I want to settle in place for the extra production from the hill, immediate access to silver and a few more riverside tiles ?
or
- do I want to settle between the stones to get away from the tundra, get that marble early and get a better chance at the Oracle and maybe a faster HG if nobody picks Tradition ?

I have a few hours to think about that but I'm very undecided. If I choose the second option I will very strongly consider Stone Circles and Mausoleum :)

Good luck to everyone !

- do I want to settle between the stones to get away from the tundra, get that marble early and get a better chance at the Oracle and maybe a faster HG if nobody picks Tradition ?

I got HG on 70T (just after NC) - game-changing wonder in OCC.

Wanted to play that France map, but... required DLC not available. Seems like everyone and their mother has mods, but of course the game won't tell which ones.

Oh sorry I have BNW and am playing with enhanced user interface.
That should be it for that map though.

99% of the time when someone posts a map and missing dlc, it's the map packs.

I got HG on 70T (just after NC) - game-changing wonder in OCC.

Why did you move between the stone? You lose a hill and lose fresh water for garden, so then your game plan becomes "get hanging gardens" which is quite a gamble on deity, you get it maybe 50% of the time :O

In my game, it went turn 50...

The first pantheon taken: Stone Circle, the only good one for me. I still got a religion and hagia sophia to enhance it right after. I got hermitage tourism boost.

Lost Mausoleum by 2 turns.

Got oracle.

I signed 6 RAs around the time I got education ( 2 earlier since AI had tech ).

I tried to go for printing press with oxford instead of accoustics. Of course ghandi sniped it from me by 1 turn even if he wasn't building it when I started. Yay. He also got sistine and uffizi, because he got Petra. None of the idiot AIs wanted to fight him, because he was score leader and that makes all the AI afraid. They wanted 20+ gpt for war.

1st congress I propose scholars in residence and it passes. Good, good.

Around turn 135, Ghandi killed my level 2 spy. So instead of stealing acoustics, my spy died. The plan was to use that spy to flip CS as I already had patronage 3. NOPE. Completely wasted patronage thanks to this one extremely unlikely event.

Then of course I see all the AI entered industrial through archaeology around turn 150. Surprise. Some already had exploration so, not great news for me. Sure enough pedro got Louvre turn 175.

I got porcelain tower even as arabia was trying to steal it from me. Thankfully I had a spy in their capital so I could stop building hermitage and focus on tower. I would have lost it otherwise, which would have been disastrous given the number of RAs I was getting.

Then 3 turns before entering industrial, a stupid great prophet spawned, sucking 500 faith from me and making sure I couldn't buy an engineer to rush anything. Dear lord.

Got ideology turn 174, 3 turns after ghandi got Order. At least I'm second to it and I'll get the good tourism boost from it. At this point my gold was at 0 basically from borrowing to get factory and public school... So no more RAs. Other AIs all proceed to take order. Usually when I pick first, they all take a different one, but when I don't apparently they all collude so they never have to fight or something, who knows. Anyway, thanks for the tourism boost suckers.

178: ghandi completes broadway.
184: Ghandi completes eiffel tower

Seems the only choice is to war ghandi. Sadly this is OCC. So. Yah.

Turn 200---

The French empire is not going well lol.
No theming or tourism wonders.
No world religion passed.
39 tourism with hotel and themed hermitage + oxford...
4 city-state allies ( they all have 120+ over me everywhere it's quite ridiculous )

The strategy of going to printing press instead of acoustics seems to be quite crap. It just snowballs into mediocrity as you lose Sistine, have a 1% chance to get Leaning Tower and basically get much slower renaissance era. In a mountain game I would pop oxford for astronomy, otherwise I think you should pop it for acoustics or architecture...

He was very lucky with landmarks though; three in cap - usually I have 3-4 in normal 3-4 cities game.
I think legendary start affects antiquity sites. I remember seeing a screenshot on reddit where someone played with a lot of civs on a duel map with legendary start, and the entire map was covered in antiquity sites.

Why did you move between the stone? You lose a hill and lose fresh water for garden, so then your game plan becomes "get hanging gardens" which is quite a gamble on deity, you get it maybe 50% of the time :O

In my game, it went turn 50...

I moved because still kept all visible resources and got marble and cow extra (and kept river too, it's just other riverbank).
I must admit I was lucky with HG as only one or two AIs chose tradition (if not I would invest in maritime CSs)

In a mountain game I would pop oxford for astronomy, otherwise I think you should pop it for acoustics or architecture...

I plan use Oxford for acoustic to get secularism asap (got edu on 102T).

Seems the only choice is to war ghandi. Sadly this is OCC. So. Yah.

Turn 200---

The French empire is not going well lol.

You can still completely destroy him; things are not going well, but don't give up and please report your finish :)

Top Bottom