Over the Reich - Prof. Garfield vs. JPetroski

I just played a few minutes and noticed that the 15th air force is not defensively reacting to any attacks from 190A8 on any map. I do not know why this is. Since the first thing I did on this turn was attack your formation near Munich I decided I would just pause and wait to see if you have an idea why before pressing forward. I'd like those units to be able to harm mine and it hardly seems fair that they don't, but I can't spot the error unless the local limit is somehow now affecting this?

I went ahead and just played figuring that given they only defend as well as a B-24 anyway, they probably wouldn't have done much damage. We should move to try and fix it though (I thought I had earlier in the playtest but now for some unknown reason it again does not work).

Attachments

• Germans62.zip
    209.7 KB · Views: 51
This was a problem with the 'stay in range' mechanic. I've fixed it.

Attachments

• Allies63.zip
    285.9 KB · Views: 62
Turn 64

Germany is on high alert for an invasion given the recent Allied move towards destroying the rail lines.

Attachments

• Germans64.zip
    210.5 KB · Views: 49
Changelog:

Fixed the bug in the combat reporting for attacks made in the current turn. It should now work.

Pressing 'p' (while the unit is active) and then a direction arrow (arrows or number pad) makes the unit in question travel in that direction until it has 2 movement points left. It will also stop before entering a city, or when it spots an enemy unit (the goto command is used).

Attachments

• Allies65.zip
    295 KB · Views: 48
Ughhh... Noticed you invaded very late in my turn. Thought the battle group was softening stuff up. You got the drop on me!

Attachments

• Germans65.zip
    212.3 KB · Views: 60
I'd have to check but I want to say you invaded right around this time last game as well.

Attachments

• Germans66.zip
    212.4 KB · Views: 48
Do railtracks still impart the river bonus? That might explain why some urban targets seem much tougher to kill than others, and why some ground units seem harder to kill.

The allies have yet to capture a city, but they have captured airfield infrastructure and intend to support air operations without a major port. This plan is called 'bold' by supporters, and 'foolhardy' by detractors. A defeat could have serious political implications.

Attachments

• Allies67.hot.zip
    180.4 KB · Views: 57
I'm going to need to take some time to play this turn because your invasion triggered every single one of my cities to fall into disorder. I'm positive that shouldn't happen if someone only grabs an airfield but I'm wondering if that shouldn't happen until German soil itself is captured as it is a stark collapse. We can push forward but it might take a bit to sort through this one - it's going to be a doozy!

I'm going to need to take some time to play this turn because your invasion triggered every single one of my cities to fall into disorder. I'm positive that shouldn't happen if someone only grabs an airfield but I'm wondering if that shouldn't happen until German soil itself is captured as it is a stark collapse. We can push forward but it might take a bit to sort through this one - it's going to be a doozy!

I presume that you were given a tech and a wonder expired. Maybe just go into cheat mode on my turn and take the tech away, or go to the rules and change the expiry on the wonder.

or go to the rules and change the expiry on the wonder.

I did this for now. When do you think the wonder (Bach) should go obsolete? When the first city is captured, or at a later time? Consider the effects:

-Every single city, without fail, will fall into disorder;
-The tech rate will increase from about 3 turns to 5 or 6 due to the need to fund luxuries/happiness.

I'm not positive that D-Day is the right time for this, even though the wonder is currently called "The Atlantic Wall." Consider that the Germans still had a good half year's fight in them until they spent themselves completely at the Ardennes. I'm wondering if maybe the arrival of the Soviets is best? 1500 points plus D-Day? Or perhaps that as one possibility or the Allies capturing a city in Germany (so it could either fire when the Russians show up if the Allies gain 1500 points, or would occur when the Rhine is pierced if the Allies invade early). You have just under 1,000 points now so I'm not sure if you'll trigger the Soviets with the current conditions.

Unfortunately the end game is not nearly as well tested as the early game and I doubt it ever will be so we're just going to have to make some projections and forecasts and do what we think is best.

Edit - attached is the temporary rules change

Attachments

• Germans67.zip
    212.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Rules.txt
    64.2 KB · Views: 41
I'll think about what to do with Bach's. One thing we could do is make it so that the wonder is made obsolete after German production, so that there is no 'all cities go into disorder' problem.

I noticed Gun battery defence is 50, which makes it defend as a battle group (except that it can be reduced below 10 hp). I didn't think that we were having any units that could stand up to a Battle group. Gun batteries also seem to be able to unload onto beaches, so I'll have to update the harbour user list at some point.

This turn I lost a battle group attacking St. Nazaire. Given that I reduced the depleted battle group to 10 hp, this doesn't portend well for the future. We may have to look into combat a little bit, or change it so that battle groups can be weakened more with munitions. Or, maybe the river bonus is still applied. Will have to think about this more later, when I'm not tired.

Attachments

• Allies68.hot.zip
    180.8 KB · Views: 57
Maybe I'm just a little worn out from shoveling but I don't see where I can change the defensive bonus of a river - is this a hard coded thing? I didn't see it in Cosmic and didn't check if TNO made it something that could be changed in cosmic2

I did change the rules to reduce the gun battery to 30 defense from 50. I went with 30 because I'm pretty sure they'd be one shot by most of your Tempests if they were lower than that, but we'll see.

I'm not opposed to increasing how much you can damage a battle group - maybe 25%? The goal is simply to not allow it to be completely destroyed by the air.

At some point when you don't have the events, I need to take a look at the reactions a bit because I don't think the 190F8 is actually triggering anything and it should. I probably made an error or left it out of a .ds or something and I'll need to look into that.

I have Thursday and Friday off so if the events were available at some point then, I would aim to tweak them.

Attachments

• Germans68.zip
    226.6 KB · Views: 54
Haven't tweaked the events yet for the updated max battle group damage. If you want to work on the events, just say that you have them.

Maybe I'm just a little worn out from shoveling but I don't see where I can change the defensive bonus of a river - is this a hard coded thing? I didn't see it in Cosmic and didn't check if TNO made it something that could be changed in cosmic2

I think it is hard coded. It is fairly easy to fix the problem on the railtrack terrain by simply reducing that terrain's defensive bonus to 50% from 100%. The trouble comes from other terrain types. At night, the river defense bonus makes a huge difference in how easy it is to kill urban targets. A couple lancasters can usually kill an urban target without railtrack under it, but it is much more difficult to kill targets with railtrack. This isn't necessarily a huge problem that some targets are softer than others, but it means balance might have to be checked a little.

The more serious problem is that fighting on the ground is impacted, particularly fighting between battlegroups, and only because battle group battles have such high stakes, since there are so few of them, especially for the Western Allies. Maybe when a battle group is defeated, a counter is started to recruit a replacement in 10 turns, but only one battle group can be recruited at a time (so significant losses hurt, but modest ones can be recovered from).

We can use lua to override the battle calculation, and substitute in our own if we like.

Increasing the maximum munition damage would increase the advantage of air power, which would favour the Western Allies in combat.

I did change the rules to reduce the gun battery to 30 defense from 50. I went with 30 because I'm pretty sure they'd be one shot by most of your Tempests if they were lower than that, but we'll see.

Maybe make it 10, and give it x2 vs Air, which I think actually means x3 vs Air and x5 vs missiles. That would protect it from bombardment, but mean a battle group can rush in and defeat it.

Attachments

• Allies69.hot.zip
    178.3 KB · Views: 63
Maybe make it 10, and give it x2 vs Air, which I think actually means x3 vs Air and x5 vs missiles. That would protect it from bombardment, but mean a battle group can rush in and defeat it.

I made this change in the attached rules file.

Increasing the maximum munition damage would increase the advantage of air power, which would favour the Western Allies in combat.

Probably not a bad idea given they have so few ground forces.

The more serious problem is that fighting on the ground is impacted, particularly fighting between battlegroups, and only because battle group battles have such high stakes, since there are so few of them, especially for the Western Allies. Maybe when a battle group is defeated, a counter is started to recruit a replacement in 10 turns, but only one battle group can be recruited at a time (so significant losses hurt, but modest ones can be recovered from).

I think as the Western Allies you could simply do the 10 turn countdown and have them show up in Portsmouth. I don't think you need to do one at a time - I think we're going to find that the Allies have a time crunch to conquer what they need to with the comparative ground forces strength so any 10 turn delay is going to hurt. I'm not sure it will imbalance things that much to allow all battle groups to regenerate for the Allies. They certainly had the manpower for it. If you recall which turn you lost your battle group, respawn it on the 10th turn via cheat mode.

I think it is hard coded. It is fairly easy to fix the problem on the railtrack terrain by simply reducing that terrain's defensive bonus to 50% from 100%. The trouble comes from other terrain types. At night, the river defense bonus makes a huge difference in how easy it is to kill urban targets. A couple lancasters can usually kill an urban target without railtrack under it, but it is much more difficult to kill targets with railtrack. This isn't necessarily a huge problem that some targets are softer than others, but it means balance might have to be checked a little.

I can't do much to help you in this playtest but what I can do is work out the railtrack change (which I forgot to make in the rules but you can change if you like) to 50% defensive bonus for one, and secondly I can remove the rivers from any of the urban/factory terrain on the night map. They're basically there for cosmetic reasons and don't serve a purpose other than that. I think if it's causing unrealistic advantages then we should just have it look a little off so it is playable. It's not "that' big of a project and something I can update for the final release. I don't think it's really worth it at this point of the playtest to modify our save file but if you are planning to hit a target that has a river under it and want to go through the trouble of changing the tile first, that's fine by me.

Attachments

• Germans69.zip
    223.3 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom