Pharaoh Ramesses -- A Despotism Succession Game

Nice to meet you all. I'm an old Civ noob, it's bothered me for years that I could never beat the game on any level above Prince. After reading everything here, that's not a surprise, as I had completely ignored the diplomacy and trade features. I'll improve now that I know better!

I replayed Ingvar's turns, hopefully this 2.42 save works better for the next player. I made a few small changes (more because I couldn't duplicate the turns exactly than by design) and reloaded the save a few times at the hut to duplicate Ingvar's city-finding luck. I hope that's all right under the circumstances.

(1) 2550 BC: Thebes settler moved southwest.

(2) 2500 BC: Ceremonial Burial discovered, Map making selected next. Warrior at Elephantine moved west. So is the one just built in Alexandria. Changed production in Alexandria from Warrior to Settler, with the aim of changing to trireme when Map making has been discovered.

(3) 2450 BC: --

(4) 2400 BC: Helipolis builds Settler. Moved west. Settler at Thebes finishes roads.

(5) 2350 BC: Settler moving west.

(6) 2300 BC: [Civil disorder in Elephantine. Warrior ordered back. -- Avoided by leaving the Warrior in Elephantine.]
Memphis builds Settlers. Ordered to build Warriors. Road from Thebes to memphis finished. All cities but Elephantine at 1 population.

(7) 2250 BC: Exploring west. Pi-Ramesses founded as a whaling community.

(8) 2200 BC: Alexandria builds Warrior, changed to settler.

(9) 2150 BC: --

(10) 2100 BC: Map Making discovered -> Currency. Production switched from settler to trireme in Heliopolis.

(11) 2050 BC: A village joins the Kingdom and is given the name Giza.

(12) 2000 BC: Giza founded.

(13) 1950 BC: Elephantine builds settlers, changed to warrior.

(14) 1900 BC: --

(15) 1850 BC: Warrior meets Celtic horseman to the north, refuses treaty, collects 25g tribute. Celts are too close to be allowed to live.

Basic roadnet is nearly complete from Elephantine to Pi-Ramesses. I don't know if it's too early to be worried about that, but the peninsula we're stuck on seemed to suggest a road as a good idea. We have a lovely patch of grass to sprawl on (but I'm not sure sprawl is wise in despotism at this difficulty) and a choke point at (28,102) if we want to block the Celts with troops or a city. My thought is to block that square with the warrior until a settler can arrive (6 turns walking, 7 turns? by trireme).

View attachment RA_B1850.SAV

Mackerel, welcome to CFC.

We're probably not going to continue this game. I've started a poll in another thread (see link in my signature) about the succession games people would prefer, and it looks like we won't do this type of game. Roughly half the response so far has been that people don't want to play anything harder than standard deity.

You're more than welcome to play. Sign up by voting in the poll (it's a public vote, so we'll know it's you), and, perhaps, making a post in that thread. We're trying to set up a game (or two, if there is enough interest) that will appeal to as many people as possible.

Either follow the link in my signature, or look for the "Succession Game Coordination Thread" in this subforum.

I've done a little bit of searching, and a bit of trial and error (half the battle was uploading the extra files to this site), and I think I have a way to downgrade MGE to version 2.42:

Duplicate your entire Multiplayer Gold Edition File (you may want to see if you can avoid duplicating the "scenario" folder, as it takes up a lot of space, and will be completely useless). We'll call the folder "Downgrade Civ"

Download the civ 2 2.42 patch here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=58

Unzip the entire contents into your "Downgrade Civ" folder, saying "yes to all." (make sure not to create a separate folder with the contents, as might happen based on default unzip settings; if you do, you'll have to cut and paste the contents into the correct folder)

Download the two .zip files I've attached to this post (their contents are a selected number of files lifted from my civ2 classic directory, after the computer "couldn't find them" when trying to run the civ 2 exe after unzipping the 2.42 patch into the copied gold-edition file).

Unzip their contents, and copy them into the "Downgrade Civ" folder, saying "yes to all." (The way these ones are zipped, you will have to use cut and paste, since I zipped in the folders)

Try running the new civ 2 (click the civ2 icon in the file), and you should (if things worked out like they did on my computer) get a copy of civ 2 classic, that produces saves which can be read by other classic players.

Try posting a save made by such a downgrade, and we'll see if we can open it.

I'll be trying this tomorrow. Mge is killing me bad haha

If you missed it (you wouldn't be the first), there is another file you will need that is described further down the co-ordination thread link that I gave you in the GOTM forum.

If you missed it (you wouldn't be the first), there is another file you will need that is described further down the co-ordination thread link that I gave you in the GOTM forum.

I did all that you mentioned and I got an error for a wing.dll file. So I did a little more searching and found this, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399597 from Jokemaster. It looks to be working great now. The game options screen tells me it is running v2.4.2 now instead of MGE.

Next issue I'm hoping you can tell me is how to get rid of the gridlines on the map. Is this possible?

Thank you Jokemaster it seems to work.
I copy it (wing.dll) to my downgrade civ folder.

Top Bottom