Playing Settler

randomguy13

Chieftain
Does anyone here play on the settler difficulty just for fun? I know that when I get bored, I sometimes just play a settler game, but with extra challenges, like getting 30 cities before 1 AD, Finishing with 100+ cities, completing all of the wonders, spreading a corporation to at least 75 cities, 5000 bpt by 700 AD, etc. I've heard of some people finishing the UN and a spaceship by absurd dates on settler, but does anyone else play on settler difficulty to complete a challenge?

I play Settler more than I'd like, because my 9-year-old nephew is a civfanatic. We recently had this conversation:

Does anyone here play on the settler difficulty just for fun? I know that when I get bored, I sometimes just play a settler game, but with extra challenges, like getting 30 cities before 1 AD, Finishing with 100+ cities, completing all of the wonders, spreading a corporation to at least 75 cities, 5000 bpt by 700 AD, etc. I've heard of some people finishing the UN and a spaceship by absurd dates on settler, but does anyone else play on settler difficulty to complete a challenge?

Occasionally. Here's an example:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=371536

^ Hey, I was just gonna mention that myself ;)

Another thing I tried once was a Duel Lakes 18 civ conquest game with Inca, just to see how quick I could finish.

I don't play at Settler, but when I'm testing out a beta release pf BAT, I'll drop down to Warlord. That way, I can be reasonably sure of getting far enough into the game to see everything without having my undies handed to me on a plate in the Middle Ages.

"Louis has won a space victory! Has anyone seen Lemon's unmentionables?"

:rolleyes: :lol:

I feel afraid to play setler, sorta self concious like OMG what if the people at civ fanatics are watching me

I give it a go once in a blue moon, but I get bored with it pretty easily--there isn't much of a challenge aside from those you set for yourself.

My first ever game was on settler, my mum was playing it with me at the time. needless to say she was clueless.

My first ever game was on settler, my mum was playing it with me at the time. needless to say she was clueless.
I played my first game on Noble because it was recommended for Civ veterans. Ha! After getting my a** handed to me, I dropped down to Settler and quickly worked my way back up to Noble, with no small amount of help from this forum along the way.

I give it a go once in a blue moon, but I get bored with it pretty easily--there isn't much of a challenge aside from those you set for yourself.
It probably doesn't help when the game AI figures out that you're Sisiutil and has a complete nervous breakdown due to your reputation as a Civ Master. No wonder you get bored. :D

It probably doesn't help when the game AI figures out that you're Sisiutil and has a complete nervous breakdown due to your reputation as a Civ Master. No wonder you get bored. :D
Those "nervous breakdowns" often manifest themselves as sudden dog-piling DoWs at Immortal level for some reason. :sad:

I play Settler more than I'd like, because my 9-year-old nephew is a civfanatic. We recently had this conversation:

I think that nobama and archeryburg are just the best two city names I've ever seen in a game of civ... I want to know what the capitols are named and a late game save with 10 cities for each of you so that I may mod it into ALL the civs.

I think that nobama and archeryburg are just the best two city names I've ever seen in a game of civ... I want to know what the capitols are named and a late game save with 10 cities for each of you so that I may mod it into ALL the civs.

Thanks. :love:

I renamed my capital from Washington to GRAWRRRRRRGH. I did this in order to intimidate potential attackers, since we want to turtle until modern era warfare in this game.

Archeryburg was New York until my nephew insisted we tech Archery. He was absolutely adamant about it. I even told him we'd pick it up when we built the internet, but there was no compromising with him. I just wanted to, you know, commend his strategery and resolve.

Brandt's capital is Brandtingham. He always founds "nobama" next, because he saw Shaka's Nobamba once and just couldn't get over it.

I want in the next time you guys play online...but preferrably I won't need my own 9 year old teammate. I just don't want to go wherever it would lead if I start advertising on the internet for 9 year old civ-buddies.

I do play online with a bunch of 50ish fellas that are more than capable of acting 9 though.

I played it the first time I played civ 4 many years ago just to get a feel for it. Heard civ 5 was easy so I played my first game on warlord.

I've tried civ4 col on settler, but not vanilla nor bts. In col, they never declare war on you. Is this also the case in civ4?

I once played a random noble game and got mongols with horse/forest start. I chuckled at that and keshik rushed so fast that too much barbs in unoccupied fogs were more of a problem than ai civs. Forget courthouses, we,re gonna invade as units are disbanding! Its fun to drastically lower your difficulty once in awhile.

I've tried civ4 col on settler, but not vanilla nor bts. In col, they never declare war on you. Is this also the case in civ4?

I once played a random noble game and got mongols with horse/forest start. I chuckled at that and keshik rushed so fast that too much barbs in unoccupied fogs were more of a problem than ai civs. Forget courthouses, we,re gonna invade as units are disbanding! Its fun to drastically lower your difficulty once in awhile.

At CivIV settler, the AI pretty much doesn't declare on you. When they do, it's pathetic. However, even in Warlord, the AI will declare. A lot depends on who it is. Even at Warlord, you'll find the psychos will declare. Main psychos are Napoleon, Shaka, Monty, Alex, Ragnar and Genghis.

Remember, about half the AI's won't plan war with you at Pleased. Half can. However, of the half that can, some are very peaceful. Technically, Mansa can plan war at Pleased. Never seen him do it.

Leading nut is "full basket of fruit" Monty, but Shaka, Ragnar and Nappy are more dangerous because they can keep up in tech. Monty becomes a GG farm.

don't think I ever played below Noble. I prefer somewhat serious play, and find 'succeeding at something hard' more rewarding than 'perfecting something easy'.

My very first Civ experience, the colo remake, was played on Setller (aka Pilgrim for Colonization if i'm right)
Then I went to Civ 4 and started Warlord, that went well.

I tried settler a week ago, but on a team game. Me vs 8 AI. :lol:

Removed 6 of them before feudalism, the 2 next were mashed like potatoes with cannons.

For the first year i got Civ VI, i was on settler
and chieftain for half a year each.

Top Bottom