Portugal: 4 New Leaders and 1 New Unique Unit

raen

Coat of Arms
V2.0 is out!! GRAB IT HERE!
or see new thread: Portugal All Eras!
14 leaders! 9 Unique Units and Buildings!

V1.1 is out! See below
Finally! I finished first complete version of Portugal MODPACK! (v1.0)

Portugal with 4 new leaders and 1 unique unit. It contains alot of flavour units also and a new Carrack!

Includes also a Bonus CIV, the Lusitanians, Portuguese great ancestors.

Four new Leaders:
Viriato
Afonso Henriques
Henrique the Navigator
Manuel I

Spoiler :

CREDITS:
Aranor - Viriato
cfkane, The Capo, IgorS - Afonso Henriques
IgorS, Ekmek, The Capo - Henry the Navigator
The Capo - Christian IV of Denmark (using for Manuel I)

One Bonus Civ:
The Lusitanians.

CREDITS:
Aranor - Lusotann civ (I changed flag, teamcolor and uniqueunit)

One new Unique Unit:
Lusitanian Warrior (on Horse)

Spoiler :

CREDITS:
The Capo, achilleszero - Ancient Lusitani Celtiberians (Portugal) (I changed horseman shield and horse)

Flavour Units:
Alot of portuguese flavour units.

Spoiler :

UNIT CREDITS:
Spoiler :

Asioasioasio, Serviu: F-16 Fighting Falcon (Jet Fighter)
asioasioasio: B-24 Liberator (Bomber)
JF00: [Reskin] B-24 Liberator (Bomber)
Bakuel: Portuguese Middle Age Unit Pack
Bakuel: Portuguese Ancient Age Unit Pack (Celtiberians)
Danrell: 11 Portugal Units (Middle Age)
strategyonly: Portugal (Modular)
JustATourist: Portuguese Sailing Ships
Bernie14 and CybAh (for correcting it!): portuguese cassador (Rifleman)
Snafusmith: Hawker Hurricane (fighter)
snafusmith: Vickers 6 Ton (tank)
Zerver: Portuguese industrial units
Zerver: Portuguese Modern Units (I changed beret color)
Walter Hawkwood, Refar: Early Sailing Ships
The Capo, achilleszero: Ancient Lusitani Celtiberians (Portugal)
ambrox62: One of his amazing horses (to complete lusitanian warrior)

>DOWNLOAD v1.0<

-----------------------------

V1.1 new!
Two new Traits:
Seafaring
Mercantile

Spoiler :

CREDITS:
Tsentom1 - Python Traits (enhanced by me with the help of platyping)

Enhanced Original Traits:

CREDITS:
platyping- Enhanced Original Traits (XML and Python)

Four new World Wonders:
Compass Rose
Palácio da Pena
Padrão dos Descobrimentos
Torre de Belém

Spoiler :

CREDITS:

Hrochland- Art
platyping- Enhanced Wonders

>DOWNLOAD v1.1<

Enjoy! :)

Older Post:
Spoiler :
Hello All!

I have been playing CivIV latelly and I just looked for the old stuff done about Portuguese Civilization for Civ IV.

The result is four new Leaders and one unique unit:

Leaders:

- Viriato - Charismatic / Protective - First Portuguese Hero
- Afonso Henriques - Charismatic / Expansive - First King of Portugal
- Infante D. Henrique - Expansive / Creative - Known from civ3
- Manuel I - Expansive / Financial - Portuguese King After Joao II

U.U.:
- Guerreiro Lusitano or Lusitano Warrior that replaces swordsman, 7 of strenght, chance first strike and 10% withrawal instead of city attack of swordsman

Since some art already exist and to not have a 7MB file you have to get the some leaders and unit from another places:

The leader Viriato(known as Viriathus) and the U.U. (known as Ambakaro) are available
in Aranor´s Lusitanian Civ -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5569630&highlight=lusitanos#post5569630 to whom I thank very much for this spetacular civ and the leaderhead is animated!!! (download BTS version civ)

The leaders Afonso Henriques and Infante D. Henrique art you have to go to CiVARMY´s Civ -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=141409&highlight=Portugal . He was the fisrt to build a Portuguse civ before it existed in civ4 and its answome. The leaders are not animated tought. Neverless, Many Thanks to CivArmy 1994!!!

---

The xml files and the Manuel I art (made by me, so the graphics are a litle weak and its not animated) are all in file. This is not ready to copy and play, its not in a mod, you have to go to xml files and get what you want or build a mod in your one (watch for readme´s inside subfolders).

For me, I simply added this to civ itselft to have it always!

Enjoy!

PS: Someone outthere can do animated leaders of Afonso Henriques, Infante D. Henrique and Manuel I? Many Thanks

Note: the attachedfile is an older version, please use DOWNLOAD button above.

Attachments

• CIV4BTSPortugal5Leaders.zip
    733.1 KB · Views: 248
They have four expansive leaders! :lol:

And you know that there is art for Afonso Henrique and Henry the Navigator, right?

Your UU sounds overpowered and out of place.
You increased the base strength, gave it a first strike chance, and a withdrawl chance and only removed the City attack, for the same base cost as a normal swordsman?

I would think you could remove a bonus or two or up the base cost to 45.
This design is more similar to the Pretaorian (45) than the Gallic Warrior (40) in Power and if all bonuses are kept, should have the appropiate cost.
Think of the time period. Rome and the Celts have Swordsmen. Was Portugal around then?

Personally, I would have thought to see a UU that could have a better chance vs Conquistadors, or Spain could wipe it off the map. Of course, those come later.
Perhaps, a Knight (or Cuirssier) with +25% vs Mounted.
You could remove the first strike and give it the 0-1 first strike, and an additional 5% withdrawl rate if Cuirssier (10% if Knight based).

The game has only 1 Cuirssier UU, so, it could use one.

@Dumanios: Yes, four of them are expansionist because it makes sense historically. I dont know about the art, can you get the links for it?

D. Afonso Henriques (1109-1185 AD) - Expanded Portugal Land Territory That formed Portugal as is. Our First King, very Charismatic, compared to Napoleon.
Infante D. Henrique (1394&#8211;1460 AD) - Expanded By Sea and Promoted Schools of knowledge of the Sea Navigation (Creative)
D. Joao II (1455&#8211;1495 AD) - You Know
D. Manuel II (1469-1521 AD) - Expanded By Sea, reached India and he ruled Commerce by then (Financial)

About Viriato (179-139 BC) He was a great Leader of The Lusitanians, fought against Roman invasion, thats why I choosed Protective.
Portuguese people are also known as Lusitanos, because the lusitanians lived in Portuguese Region + Galici, we descend from them.

@plasmacannon:
About the Unique Unit, it is a lusitanian unit, that fought romans, I dont know what type of roman units they fought at the time.
This units pratice guerilla warfare and ambush tactics that I dont know how to put that in terms of CIV IV. I just didnt pay much attention to the details of the unit so your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

I removed City Attack Because it was not their goal, their goal was defend Lusitanian Territory from the Romans.

Some Text about the unit:

"The Ambakaro were the elite infantry of the Lusotannan and the personal foot guard of the Lusitanian chieftains.

The Ambakaro (Am-bak-ar-oh; "Arms Bearers") are men that have proved their valour and dedication to their chieftains in the heat of battle. While their background may vary, they all have in common a religious oath of fealty sealed by sacred rites. They are fanatical about keeping their honour and are granted land, cattle and arms as a reward for their services. They protect themselves with a form of light armour made up of quilted linen under a composite of leather, "esparto" fibers and connecting metal pins that is good at absorbing cutting blows. They also use their trademark bronze helmets with the "bucula" ("facemask") along with the standard steel falcata and caetra known of other Iberian warriors. They, however, fight with a degree of élan and ferocity that is not often matched by any enemy. Besides all this, they throw the "gesso" before melee, which is a long range light javelin suitable for picking enemies off at a great distance.
Historically, the Ambakaro were the elite infantry of the Lusotannan and the personal foot guard of the Lusitanian chieftains. They were bound by religious oaths of fealty and usually defended their lord to the death being praised by Julius Caesar himself. When their lord died, they would often kill each other in ritual combat as part of the funerary rites so they could accompany him to the afterlife."

No other unit seem so right and strong as this and Nau. A curassier is possible but its not so Right.

Thanks for your help.

I would think you could remove a bonus or two or up the base cost to 45.
This design is more similar to the Pretaorian (45) than the Gallic Warrior (40) in Power and if all bonuses are kept, should have the appropiate cost.
Think of the time period. Rome and the Celts have Swordsmen. Was Portugal around then?

Portugal wasn´t, Lusianians were (our Great Ancestors) and they defended themselfs against Roman Invasion, Before Christ.

LoL, they seem a little odd but I will give a try. Thanks.

Odd? They are animated and top quality Civ IV leaderheads, not just pictures from Civ III...

ok.
So, Lusianians were the Great Ancestors, and this mod will attempt to combine all of these traits into one Empire.
ok.
A suggestion.
If the Lusianians are good at defeating the Romans.
And the Romans use Preatorians, which are based on the Swordsman unit.
Civ4 has the Axeman unit that is designed to defeat the Swordsman unit.

Why not make the Lusianians an Axeman-based unit?

The Sumerian Vulture did this: 6 base +25% vs melee.
So, did the Numidian Calvary: 5 base +50% vs melee, plus flanking.
Both of these units do better vs melee like the Preatorian.

Also, will this unit be able to gain the Drill promotions?
I ask, because, this is so with Samauri units.
It begins with 2 first strikes, and can gain more through the Drill promos.

Also, will it be able to gain further Flanking Promos?
Since, no other unit has Flanking except mounted, this might be an issue.
If this is the way it is designed, with both of these able to be improved, then, it is definitely overpowered, considering its average cost.
If neither can be improved, then, I would say, you have a good design here.

EDIT: I have been reading up on the history of this 1st Hero, and I have to say, this is a great story. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viriato
Getting this into Civ4 will be a good addition.
He is listed as the leader, like a great general, and since Hannibal was both and is a leader in Civ, Viriathus can be made in the same manner.
I am hoping this comes out well.

You might be right on target with the Swordsman class.
It could defeat the Roman Chariots and Horse Archers better than the Axeman class.

Viriato life was more or like in BraveHeart, he had so much influence over the troops and people, he was such a motivating force, that the Romans called him to a peace treaty and payed supposed friends to kill him. A movie could be made about Viriato.

Near Christ Romans finally got control of Lusitania and then 600 years after others came, like Byzantines, Visigoths and Arabs until more or less 900AD.

About 1100 AD, Part of the actual Portugal (the South) was occupied by the Moors (arabs) . D . Afonso Henriques, Son of a Spanish King, fought his own mother (the queen) for the land (Named Portucalence county situated in the lusitanian region (Galicia is also part of Lusitania, that his mother wanted to join in) – North/Central Portugal), fought all cousins and family opposing him, and later fought against the Moorish, expelled them, and formed Portugal as is, the first country made independent in Europe. He is our First King.

“D. Afonso Henriques, at the age of 13, already shows signs of genius, in the good as well as in the bad sense of the word. At that tender age, he simply ignores the cardinal who conducts the ceremony at which he is to knighted, and proclaims himself a knight. He refuses divine intervention. Just like Napoleon, a few centuries later. Pity that he doesn't speak French, the language of sophisticated folk, so that his gesture would not be left out of the history books.”

I didn’t chose aggressive since this two Heroes fought/were warriors but they were much/much more than that, just charismatic, people just followed them. Still Today, this two are the ones that Portuguese are more proud of, along with all the seafaring ones that came later.

About the unit they used small shields and the falcata weapon (like a sword but with a curve)
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:Falcata_íbera_(M.A.N._Madrid)_02.jpg
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusitanos

Some more about the unit/lusitanians and the amazing Viriato:
Spoiler :

“The Lusitanii

Strabo defined the Lusitanii as "the greatest of Iberian tribes, that the Romans fought for a long time". Considered as the finest Iberian warriors in terms of guerrilla tactics, their influence extended through the fertile lands around the river Tagus, comprising what is now north and central Portugal, and wide regions of west central Spain. Independent and warlike, Lusitanii tribes were also under strong influence of the Celtic world - both in religion and material culture - and as their Celtiberian neighbours, were at constant strife and competition.

Master in ambushes, and in the use of light and throwable weapons, the Lusitanii rarely fought in an open battlefield, though they were able to do so, as was known on several ocasions. A very frequent tactic consisted of harassing the enemy army using fast hit-and-run incursions to strike specific detachments at unexpected places and situations. This had the objective of tiring and trimming down their forces before a previously planned encirclement and assault was made by the whole army. These disorientating tactics, enhanced by their supreme knowledge of the terrain, their determination and sometimes blind ruthless ferocity ensured that even the wisest opponent would be put on the defensive.

"They say that the Lusitanii are skilled in ambushes and chasses, swift, quick and sthealthy; they wield small shields two feet wide and concave in their outside, being manouvered with the help of two straps around the neck, and, so it seems, without grips. Beyond that they use daggers or knives. Most of them wear linen armours and leather caps, very few others mail armours and three feathered helms. Some infantrymen also use greaves, and each of them carries several short spears; some of them with bronze tips".
- Strabo of Amasya (Pontus), Greek historian, 63 BC - 24 AD

"The Lusitanii are the strongest amongst Iberians; to war, they carry very small shields, made out of esparto (a natural hard vegetable fiber), with which can easily defend their bodies. During battle they wield it skilfully, moving it from one side to the other of their bodies, defending themselves with ability from every blow that falls upon them. They also use spears, entirely made of iron with harpoon-shaped tips, and ware helms and a sword very similar to the Celtiberians; they throw their spears with precision and to a great distance, very frequently causing grevious wounds. They are swift while moving and fast while running, so they flee and chase quickly (). With these light armours, being able to run very fast and being very sharp-minded, they can only be defeated with difficulty. They consider the rocks and ranges their homeland and so seek refuge in them, because they are impracticable to large and heavy armies. So, because of that, the Romans, who have organized countless expeditions against them, although being able to counter their daring, have not, dispite of their commitment, been able to end their pillaging".
- Diodorus Siculus of Sicily, Sicilian historian, 80 BC - 20 AD

A unique characteristic about the Lusitanii was their ability to adopt foreigners in to their own population. This was known by the Romans as hospitium and led them to believe that among Lusitanii there was something similar to the devotio. In particular, among the Lusitanii, we must mention a very special protection given by the powerfull, the Ambactii that, according to Julius Caeser, were soldiers linked to their respective patrons by oaths of personal dependency, sworn in religious vows and faithful to the death to their chiefs.

Lusitanii were known by their neighbours as expert pillagers and raiders. This behaviour was motivated by the uneven distribution of wealth among them, the lack of open and fertile agricultural fields in their own territory, as well as the greater material wealth displayed by their more industrious and commercial southern and coastal populations. It is this permanent stress that will serve as a catalist to the later Roman conquest.

Although their social organization was built up of noble and non-noble classes, in times of war their military leaders were chosen by an assembly of the whole population. Contrary to many other tribes or tribal confederations, the caudilho (military commander) of the Lusitanii could be or not of the noble class. He was choosen for his bravery, skill in battle, inteligence and popularity amongst the population, before his ascendency was taken in to consideration. The Romans and Greeks designated them as Dux or Hegoumenos respectivelly.

Romans were not welcome. They learned the errors of challenging some of these famous caudilhos like Punico, commander of an alliance of Lusitanii and Vetonii that devastated the Beaturia and Betica in 154BC. Or of the likes of Cesaro, commander of the northern Lusitanii tribes, whose victories against the Romans motivated the Celtiberian tribes and the southern Lusitanii (commanded by Caucenos) to join in their efforts against Rome. These victories lead to the pillaging of Turdetania that would continue during the time of Viriatus.

In 150BC, a group of Lusitanii tribes forced by war devastation to seek fertile lands, were promised peace and lands by consul Servius Sulpicius Galba. He invited the Lusitanii to attend unarmed to an open field, and once there, he ordered his troops to attack and annihilate the defenceless crowd. Very few survived to the slaughter. One of them was a brilliant tactician called Viriatus.

Viriatus never forgot the treason. He rose as a popular leader and persuaded his countrymen to resist Roman rule. Gathering the Lusitanii under his command, he defeated the Romans in 147BC and started an elusive war that surprised and humiliated the Roman invaders. During the next two years he established control over a vast area. One Roman defeat followed another. Legion after legion crushed. The victories of Viriatus encouraged the Celtiberians to renew their resistance to Rome. Then, in 140BC, the senate sent an army under Fabius Maximus Servilianus, which Viriatus succeeded in trapping. Instead of destroying this army, he concluded a peace and allowed the Romans to leave. But he demanded to Fabius that he and the Lusitanii would be considered amicus populi romani and that their conquered territories would have to be recognized by Rome and never attacked again (something that had never happened, Rome being dictated peace terms, that are analogous to admitting defeat to a bunch of barbarians). Within a year the humiliated Roman Senate would break, as usual, that treaty.

Finally, in 139BC, a tired and disenchanted Viriatus sent three men to negotiate peace to the Roman quarters. When they got back, the bribed emissaries killed Viriatus. They never enjoyed their reward. When they got back to consul Quintus Servilius Scipio, he ordered them to die, saying: "Rome does not reward traitors". The death of Viriatus marked the beginning of the end of Lusitanii resistance, but not of its myth.”

Some about Roman Legion at the time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_legion

So I think the unit is a must, it’s the unit of that time, and the special one, the shock infantry. I think it’s a good idea to replace axeman, even having a falcata (kind of sword), since they are more likely to get rid of other melee units like the Roman Legion. Any good ideas for the advantages for this unit?

Many thanks for your help and interest.

PS: Many Thanks also once more to Aranor to making available the lusitanian CIV with an animated leader viriato! and the UU!

Yeah, why would you call them odd?

Sheesh lol

I find them odd because D Afonso Henriques looks like a clown in that armour and Infante D. Henrique looks like a peasant.

I didnt said its not a great work, I tried to animate and quited the first minute, too darn complicated.

So keep up the good work.

Edited:

Just Tried and they are very cool besides my expectations of them as explained above.

Thank You!

Well the falcata is made of iron so it has to be swordsman. How about giving this swordsman free Promotions? - Shock, Guerrilla I and Ambush - Since they were experts at this areas. Maintaining the swordsman attributes but removing city attack 10%.

Uh... if you think the HTN LH looks like a peasant, maybe you should grab a time machine and tell him he looked like a peasant...

...he's got practically the EXACT same clothing on as his LH.

The there's Afonso Henriques. Same basic thing here too...

...probably an anachronistic picture, but these were both of the pictures the LHs were based on (I know they were because I helped on both of them). Saying they look like a "clown" and a "peasant" respectively is pretty insulting, that'd be like me calling you an idiot for saying the Lusitani and the Portuguese are the same people just because they lived in the same region. Oh wait, I think I just did.

BTW, nice crappy CivIII static LHs, and equally crappy Hannibal reskin.

Yeah, I'm an ass.

The Lusitanii only gave the Portuguese their nickname and their blood. The culture, what matters, came from Rome. Our true ancestors are the Latins.

Sure, since they were here for a long time, culture stayed, along with some Moorish Culture, particularly in the south. I didnt said one was more true than another, but we like more the lusitanians because they were the good guys, romans were the invaders.

Guys, if you want to argue further, then please remember to stay civil.

Sorry to reply, but there is only one person here that was uncivilized. I think everyone should be allowed to give their opinion without being called an idiot (related to something else, since there were no other possible arguments...). I've been around this forum for a long time and it's always been a place where people can say what they think.

But I shouldnt had replied at all since I knew from first question that I offended some artists. Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion of not liking some aspects of the art. No matter what, I still think that especially Infante D. Henrique doesn't look like the pictures we have of him, it doesnt even have his characteristic hat with scarf, his personal mark that is present in every monument that we have of him (Padrão dos Descobrimentos, Lisboa, for instance). It's my opinion and it should be respected, just as I respect other's opinions and work, that I sincerely appreciate.

Sure, since they were here for a long time, culture stayed, along with some Moorish Culture, particularly in the south. I didnt said one was more true than another, but we like more the lusitanians because they were the good guys, romans were the invaders.

I'd say Portuguese culture is the conjunction of Latin and Lusitani culture, which is why I think Viriato doesn't fit so well. But it's better to have him than not have him; maybe give him to the Celts?

I'd say Portuguese culture is the conjunction of Latin and Lusitani culture, which is why I think Viriato doesn't fit so well. But it's better to have him than not have him; maybe give him to the Celts?

?? Celts? Viriato was from Lusitanians not Celts. Anyway I say again, Lusitanians are our great ancestors, and many things are from them, we have a breed of horses named Cavalo Lusitano, very known worldwide, when a Portuguese is born in a foreign country we call him Luso-Descendent. Of course not all of us have that blood but particulary in the north it was studied and we have at least two gene´s that are different from anyone else, that came from Lusitanians.

After them we were invaded for 1000 years or so, many other culture´s here, latin in language, but for instance numeration is Arab, but we still have that blood, we are a mixture, but we breathe Lusitanian.

So I think it doesnt make any sense what you are trying to say.

Top Bottom