Portugal Discussion

It's a caravel replacement. It'll still not be very good. Plus, if it's a problem, the other side will just research Navigation, build some Privateers, and capture the Naus. Then it'll be their Naus ;)

yeah everyone listen to Louis it seems he already played the game. :rolleyes:

Well, if the Naus are being used to go on the offensive, they'll be easier to catch. If your point was that they are harder to kill, I'll agree with that. However, I thought the point was whether they would be good for combat.

Well, if the Naus are being used to go on the offensive, they'll be easier to catch. If your point was that they are harder to kill, I'll agree with that. However, I thought the point was whether they would be good for combat.

its not a military civ, i think this answers your doubts, but instead if being good for combat, might be good for gathering conditions (money$&influence) for a proper army.

Am I correct in that the Portuguese UA and UI work against each other?

If ressource diversity gives you more :c5gold: with ressource diversity, but your UI gives you an additional copy of the ressources of the City States thus reducing the ressource diversity thus making your trade routes with said city states yield less :c5gold:?

That seems counterproductive, no? (Might still be balanced, so I'm not complaining, I'm just observing and asking :))

Am I correct in that the Portuguese UA and UI work against each other?

If ressource diversity gives you more :c5gold: with ressource diversity, but your UI gives you an additional copy of the ressources of the City States thus reducing the ressource diversity thus making your trade routes with said city states yield less :c5gold:?

That seems counterproductive, no? (Might still be balanced, so I'm not complaining, I'm just observing and asking :))

Resource diversity takes only resources worked by a given city into account. Acquiring resources via Feitoria will likely work as getting them from trade. You get the happiness, you can trade it away, but it doesn't appear as a resource near the city itself.

My Last Complain: Why does the Nau replace the Caravel? Sorry, but Portugal without Caravels... that's just inaccurate are pretty stupid. Make it a separate Unit Class only avaible to the Portuguese (I'l mod that anyway)

I think I'm part of a minority, but I really liked the way the UA sounds! "Mare Clausum"... so... cool! :D

I think I'm part of a minority, but I really liked the way the UA sounds! "Mare Clausum"... so... cool! :D

:lol: We already had a discussion about this - it's not bad, but kinda unexpected...

I do really like the name of the Achievement for winning the game as Maria I, "In Hoc Signo Vinces"! :)

From the Wikipedia page:
Wikipedia said:
It was used as a motto by the Portuguese monarchy. According to the legend, King Afonso I de Portugal saw the sign of the "quinas" -Portugal's heraldic symbol- at the battle of Ourique, adopting them as the national symbol and the motto as a consequence. This legend is told in The Lusiads by Luís de Camões.

Sample of use of "In hoc signo vinces" in a 1721 Portuguese coin

:lol: We already had a discussion about this - it's not bad, but kinda unexpected...

I do really like the name of the Achievement for winning the game as Maria I, "In Hoc Signo Vinces"! :)

*snip*

That's also really cool! :) Yet, I still prefer Mare Clausum (as a nice name). Might be because I want to be a law student - college starts next year for me. Portuguese history is quite awesome

AAHHH, so that's what she said! :) Now I hear it! :lol: And that stick is based of the Sceptre of the Dragon - only thing that seems missing is the dragon itself! :lol: (At least that looks like the crown at the top... I hope I'm not seeing things wrong)
It was really hard to understand anything with the Narrator commenting over her! :lol:

God, how I want her to have good voice acting! :please: I want to see more of her leaderscreen sooo much!

... :confused: I'm afraid I didn't get you there - care to explain?...

And, really, after the complete crash that was Attila, I have low faith on Firaxis when it comes to this - some leaders had already weird sentences or just bad voice acting overall, but the complete mockery they made out of Chuvash is, to me, unacceptable.
I'm just holding out that they up the quality when it comes to voice acting - while I only talked about Maria I here (because this is the Portugal Discussion thread), I hope the same for Pedro II, Casimir, Ashurbanipal and Shaka, and whoever is left.

... :confused: I'm afraid I didn't get you there - care to explain?...

I think you answered yourself on that ..

I'm just holding out that they up the quality when it comes to voice acting - while I only talked about Maria I here (because this is the Portugal Discussion thread), I hope the same for Pedro II, Casimir, Ashurbanipal and Shaka, and whoever is left.

AAHHH, so that's what she said! :) Now I hear it! :lol: And that stick is based of the Sceptre of the Dragon - only thing that seems missing is the dragon itself! :lol: (At least that looks like the crown at the top... I hope I'm not seeing things wrong)
It was really hard to understand anything with the Narrator commenting over her! :lol:

God, how I want her to have good voice acting! :please: I want to see more of her leaderscreen sooo much!

could be this this portuguese sceptre, look here another angle from that sceptre

I think she will be the kind of snob/posh and picky teacher (thats why i refered the "stick" like the ones used by "those" kind of teachers in the blackboard ) :lol:

Someone who knows the reason Portugal fell as a global empire... I'm impressed, as it is indeed rare to find outside of the lusophone populous. Props! (Include South Africa and Indonesia and you're totally on point) :king:

It bears worth to mention the specific reason this caused problems for the empire. Prior to this essential amalgamation of Portugal by Spain, the Empire had maintained a balance between royal control of the colonies -- primarily in the Western reaches of the Empire (Brazil,Arabian/Persian Gulf/Western India) and the Portuguese private fleets which held greatest sway in the Eastern areas (Bengal, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Japan, Macau). This balance permanently disintegrated upon the ascension of Spanish power in Lisbon. Spain was governed in the absolute monarchical style, imitating the great monarchy in France primarily; they felt the urgent need to reinforce monarchical power. Doing this damaged,cast out, or abandoned their merchant fleets and accelerated those fleets' fabrication into the native eastern societies, effectively giving up this half of the Empire to the Netherlands (officially, at least. the Eastern Indian Ocean continued to heavily feel the influence of Portuguese merchants, they just had to make room for the Dutch.) in the predictable mindset of an absolutist Monarchy,The now Spanish controlled Portuguese Monarchy decided to focus its' resources on the enormous colony of Brazil, which was convenient for its proximity to Spanish holdings. They did this because they understood how to run Brazil, having already installed a feudal system in much of south America. Meanwhile, the British alliance with the Safavid Dynasty in Persia worked effectively to root the Portuguese out of Muslim Indian Ocean, hacking off the middle piece of the Empire. This left only Western India and Brazil, which likewise collapsed in the wake of Napoleon. The main problem, imo, was the feudal, archaic mindset Portugal adopted when Spain began ruling over it. This narrow attitude could not match the innovative and liberal pursuits of the Netherlands and England, who went on to gobble up most of the Portuguese Empire.

I've just come to the realization that the feitoria is not so super mega awesome as it appears, for three reasons :
- Can only be built on coastal tiles. So in-land CS are to forget.
- Can only be built after navigation is discovered, which is pretty late, considered the third reason.
- Can only be built on free tiles, so by the time you get the feitoria, the CS will already build something on his coastal tiles.

Top Bottom