Portugal Discussion

I've just come to the realization that the feitoria is not so super mega awesome as it appears, for three reasons :
- Can only be built on coastal tiles. So in-land CS are to forget.
- Can only be built after navigation is discovered, which is pretty late, considered the third reason.
- Can only be built on free tiles, so by the time you get the feitoria, the CS will already build something on his coastal tiles.

Woah, seriously - can only be built on coastal and free tiles? I believe you for sure but where is the confirmation for that (just want to see the original link)? I can't believe I overlooked/forgot about both those points.

Hmmm, Feitoria is still not bad. Because Portugal looks like a civ where the sum of its parts appear to lead to a greater end. The resource diversity from the UA is great, the Nau UU works well with that as well. Those are two that have very few negatives, meaning even in the Feitoria doesn't pan out they have a lot going for them. The great Ed Beach even said he never had to struggle with gold or happiness the entire game when he played with them

Very excited to try it out though

In my games (Pangaea, Continents), most (usually all) city-states are settled near coast for some reason, which is annoying, but may be good for the Portuguese.

- Can only be built on free tiles, so by the time you get the feitoria, the CS will already build something on his coastal tiles.

Right now you can replace foreign improvements by forts. I don't think the feitoria will be any different.

Woah, seriously - can only be built on coastal and free tiles? I believe you for sure but where is the confirmation for that (just want to see the original link)? I can't believe I overlooked/forgot about both those points.

Hmmm, Feitoria is still not bad. Because Portugal looks like a civ where the sum of its parts appear to lead to a greater end. The resource diversity from the UA is great, the Nau UU works well with that as well. Those are two that have very few negatives, meaning even in the Feitoria doesn't pan out they have a lot going for them. The great Ed Beach even said he never had to struggle with gold or happiness the entire game when he played with them

Very excited to try it out though
Free may mean free of CS units rather than improvements

it sounded logical from the beginning that a feitoria could only be built on coastal tiles, then how it could be used with the Nau?

it sounded logical from the beginning that a feitoria could only be built on coastal tiles, then how it could be used with the Nau?

There is no special interaction between the Feitoria and the Nau. The Nau does its special "exotic trade" ability in any foreign territory. It is not restricted to the vicinity of a Feitoria. There just happened to be a Feitoria nearby in the one video where we saw it happen.

There is no special interaction between the Feitoria and the Nau. The Nau does its special "exotic trade" ability in any foreign territory. It is not restricted to the vicinity of a Feitoria. There just happened to be a Feitoria nearby in the one video where we saw it happen.

the feitoria gives you a copy of a resource right? so the Nau will use that copy to sell to others depending of the distance.

The Nau doesn't appear to change its bonus based on luxuries, only distance.

the feitoria gives you a copy of a resource right? so the Nau will use that copy to sell to others depending of the distance.

Yes. No.

The Nau's ability simply gives you gold and experience proportional to distance from Lisbon.

Yes. No.

The Nau's ability simply gives you gold and experience proportional to distance from Lisbon.

hmm. I hope that is incorrect otherwise it could be rather easy to exploit. If it is based on distance from Lisbon rather than distance from the city where the Nau was built, one could settle a city on the opposite end of the world, directly on the border of the farthest CS from Lisbon and send Nau after Nau from it with ease.

Edit: just thought of something else too... will the completely inept naval AI have any idea how to use the Nau? Or will it just send it to the first CS it sees, if it even sends them to CSs at all?

hmm. I hope that is incorrect otherwise it could be rather easy to exploit. If it is based on distance from Lisbon rather than distance from the city where the Nau was built, one could settle a city on the opposite end of the world, directly on the border of the farthest CS from Lisbon and send Nau after Nau from it with ease.

I doubt it's quite that simple. Your colony city would have to be grown to be big enough and productive enough to generate Naus fairly frequently. And while the amount of gold from the special ability may go a long way to subsidize the cost of rushing Naus, I doubt you would turn a profit if that was your plan.

I doubt it's quite that simple. Your colony city would have to be grown to be big enough and productive enough to generate Naus fairly frequently. And while the amount of gold from the special ability may go a long way to subsidize the cost of rushing Naus, I doubt you would turn a profit if that was your plan.

With the help of Internal Trade Routes you might be able to speed that up by quite a bit. Of course, this would mean not getting gold from a Trade Route, but the Nau should pay for that (and it may just be more lucrative).

Besides, I'm not seeing how this is that big of an exploit. You might just as well build a train of Naus in Lisbon and make them all go to the same spot! :D The first one will take longer to get there, but after that they will arrive in regular intervals! :p

Will Naus upgrade to Frigates? Or Privateers? I remember playing with Netherlands, building a dozen Caravels because i assumed they were upgraded to Sea Beggars. Turns out they didn't...

Will Naus upgrade to Frigates? Or Privateers? I remember playing with Netherlands, building a dozen Caravels because i assumed they were upgraded to Sea Beggars. Turns out they didn't...

I imagine the upgrade path will remain the same as the Caravels they replace, in which case they will upgrade to Ironclads.

So... if a Nau upgrades to an Ironclad, would that provide an Ironclad capable of selling goods?

It's a one-time-use ability per unit. I suspect it will be a use-it-or-lose-it with regards to upgrading to Ironclads.

So, now that we know the last leaders, anyone kinda sad that they used Portugal for the token female leader? :sad: I have no problems with female leaders, I even like that we have Theodora and Dido and Wu Zetian and, yes, even Maria I, but she, being the only one in this expansion, sticks out like a sore thumb...

I would prefer if they had, say, Vietnam instead of The Zulu so they could have the Trung Sisters - but I guess that would leave Africa with little representation... *sigh* Now I just really wish we could have more civs so these problems wouldn't arise...

Anyway, who are the best traders then? Morocco, Portugal or Venice? :D (Should I start a new thread for this?)

Personally, I can see all of them shine in their own special way. In general, though, I would say Portugal comes ahead of Morocco in terms of winning money, even if for the Nau alone.
Venice, however, is very hard to compare - they get double the amount of Trade Toutes, which is crazy powerful, but they have to invest heavily in buildings for their puppets. They make tons of money, and they lose tons of money as well... Their restrictions may also come bite them back...

You can see a snippet of Maria I (seemingly mad) leader scene on the new featurette!

Top Bottom