• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Post your AI benchmark score

I7 8700K OC'd to 4.7
32 Gig PC 3200
GTX 1070 8 gig
Samsung M.2 256 gig <windows
Samsung 850 evo 500 gig < games

upload_2018-4-5_20-21-41.png

upload_2018-4-5_20-19-38.png

Interesting to see that graphical settings impacts (slightly) the AI benchmark, even with a 1080Ti
Well they do have processing power and GPU's have come a long way. When I ran the graphics utility GPU Z it was showing the higher levels of RAM were not being used.
Seems most of the benefit is CPU and RAM speed once you are over the thread limitation. While the test runs with 30 or so threads they are not all thashing CPU at once I guess due to the turn based nature of the game so needing 8 threads seems more important than needing 30 and then its about speed.

It’s about thread handling, they are doing more parallel actions than last year from what I have seen using perfmon.

Interestingly, the benchmark for turn time has (almost) exactly halved since last year. Performance has basically doubled, which as you may know is quite rare even for threading apps. (Few real world applications scale linearly with the number of CPU/threads: graphics rendering being one).

Coincidence?

Few real world applications scale linearly with the number of CPU/threads: graphics rendering being one
Well its understanding what the threads are doing and appreciating that threads are not cores. My job is performance in the world of SAP and sometimes turning off hyperthreading makes things work faster but thats more due to single threaded actions.
as for the coincidence ... yes ... also mine has not halved (I posted my old values with my stats)

1800X @ 3.9
16GB DDR4 3200
XFX 7970 and Gigabyte HD 7950 Crossfire
Water cooled custom loop (on CPU)
Windows 10 64 bit

AI - Average Turn Time 12.83
Graphics - 22.437 ms Av. Frametime
26.741 ms 99th Percentile.

i7-2760 at 2.8
8 GB RAM
NVS 4200m

40.63 - but I had some browser windows running, with a streaming video, and was also watching a video in VLC - don't know if that has any effect

i7-8700k @ 5
16 G RAM @3000
GTX 1060 3G

Average Turn Time : 12.97

Average Frame Time : 6.764
99th Percentile : 9.062

It seem that my "bad" graphic card doesn't slow the game too much.
I'm waiting for the new gtx 2080 to be out, I'll try it again.

hope to get more Ryzen scores.

My intel 2500K:
16.8 on DX 12 and 18.8 on DX10

My Dell XPS 13 laptop (2018 model) is 31 dx12 and 30.5 (dx10)

Honestly I don't think an upgrade would do much for me. Unless my needs change. The cost would be expensive as heck since I would need a MB and new kit of RAM. I am anxious to see if the 9900 series offer much. I just don't think they will. 5ghz is as fast as it's going to get. Then again, I don't want to fall too far behind in tech.

MOBO:
MSI Z170A PC Mate (MS-7971 with modded BIOS for Xeon CPU)

RAM:
4GB DDR4 2400 Micron
8GB DDR4 2400 Crucial Ballistix

GPU:
MSI AMD HD 7770 1GB (R7770-PMD1GD5)

SSD:
Intel 535 480GB SATA3 (Windows & Game)

CPU:
QuadCore Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5

AI Bench:
From 14.9 to 15.0

civ_6_ai.png

GFX Bench:
Average frame rate 20.379 ms
99. percentile 24.645 ms

civ_6_gfx.png

My recommendation is to install Civ 6 on SSD, because load of big save game was about 2x-4x faster.

Last edited:
A little more Ryzen data for ya!

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X - Stock clock

RAM: Crucial Ballistix (1x8) DDR4 2666mhz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX1060 6gb - Stock clock

SSD: Gigabyte 512gb

DX12

AI test; average of 5 runs: 14.2 sec/turn
GPU bench: clippy'd
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_9_2018 4_50_45 PM.png

Almost wanna try it on my fiancee's A8-9600 r7 APU setup :D

AI Benchmark
CPU:
Ryzen 1950x Threadripper @ 4.05ghz on all cores
GPU: Nvidia GTX Titan V 12GB HBM2
RAM 64 GB
Result 11.53

Running Video Result - peak fps 131

i5-8500
16GB (2x8) 2666Mhz DDR4
AMD 7850 2GB

A whopping 18.54sec on the AI benchmark.

....which seemed horrible given this CPU's reputation. So I set the graphic sliders to the left and...

13.34sec.

Makes sense of course since the graphic engine is running. The flip side is that comparing results requires much interpretation.

Interesting is that during benchmark none of my 6 cores get pegged. They all load roughly 50%.

Interesting is that during benchmark none of my 6 cores get pegged. They all load roughly 50%.
It runs about 36 threads. A thread for each civ so things like thinking can be done more in parallel,a core logic thread seems the busiest overall and threads for certain graphics by the looks of things. It’s this multi threading that spreads the load. More civs would mean more threads and a graphics slider difference shows you get GPU bound.

I download the patch, but not GS yet.

Quickly ran AI Benchmark.

Went from 13.6 ish sec/turn to 7!

It looked a lot faster and crisper.

Well done Firaxis. Hopefully this carries forward in GS.

Either that, or maybe the kitty cats are speeding things up in the system.....

It must be the cats, they are so much more awesome than dogs...

Smithers: People like dogs, Mr. Burns.
Burns: Nonsense, dogs are idiots. Think about it Smithers, if I came into your room and started sniffing at your crotch and slobbering all over your face, what would you say?
Smithers: Umm...if you did it, sir?

According to the patch notes there have been several optimizations to the Graphics and AI so I thought it'd be worthwhile to run the benchmarks again. There's also two new benchmarks specifically for GS.

CPU:
i5-4690k (4.5GHz o/c)
GPU: GTX 1060 SSC 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz
API: DX12
-----------------------------------------
Average Turn Time: 7.26 (Down significantly from 13.57)
Graphics Settings: High
Average fps: 59.59 (Marginal improvement over 58.76)
Gathering Storm Average Turn Time: 38.71 (What the frak! I need to look into this more 'cause that's just insane.)
Gathering Storm Average fps: 46.82 (Ugh, I think I'm definitely going to upgrade to a 1660 Ti now.)

According to the patch notes there have been several optimizations to the Graphics and AI so I thought it'd be worthwhile to run the benchmarks again. There's also two new benchmarks specifically for GS.

CPU:
i5-4690k (4.5GHz o/c)
GPU: GTX 1060 SSC 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz
API: DX12
Average Turn Time: 7.26 (Down significantly from 13.57)
Average fps: 59.59 (Marginal improvement over 58.76)
Gathering Storm Average Turn Time: 38.71 (What the frak! I need to look into this more 'cause that's just insane.)
Gathering Storm Average fps: 46.82 (Ugh, I think I'm definitely going to upgrade to a 1660 Ti now.)
I have a similar experience on my MacBook. I don't remember the exact numbers, but GS turn times where 60ish, which I couldn't believe at first. So I started the old civ VI AI benchmark and forgot what it showed as a result, but it was only a fraction (12? 15? 17?) and I was somewhat relieved. Similar situation for the Graphics benchmark, although the gap wasn't that large in this case (~80 to ~60 I think). Also, the GS benchmarks took a long while to load (the whole text was read on the loading screen) and even when the game was finally loaded, it took like a minute until it actually started to play.

Anyway, that means that for a mac laptop player like me, future era will be the most tedious civ experience ever. I expected that, but still a bit sad that it got confirmed. Not blaming anyone besides myself and Apple though, certainly not Aspyr.

Top Bottom