Pre-CosmicNES: Shards of an Empire

To: House Steward

We are uncomfortable with the fact that your people have fallen so quickly from the Empire. However, it is important that the humans hold together in the coming age. I do not trust these alien species, now that there is no guarantee of their cooperation. As such, I accept your proposal.

To: Marken Tyther

Zoey Steward will travel to Imperial Territory to unit House Steward with House Tyther in holy matrimony, under these terms.

• Zoey Steward will be allowed to bring a Compliment of Steward Soldiers as bodyguards, as well as a retinue of servants and advisers to lessen the feel of distance from her home.
  • The First Born Child will be Heir to the Tyther house, with no possibility of Contention from Stewards.
  • Zoey Steward shall be appointed Regent and Guardian to her children, in the unlikely event of Marken's Death.
  • The Second Child born will be sent back to be raised by House Steward, and have the Name Steward.
  • Any Subsequent Child will be known as Tyther-Steward.

Are these terms acceptable?

Under whose house do you want the Tyther-Stewards to be raised? (Nevermind, it's late here and I haven't had much sleep. Of course they will be raised with their father and their mother in Tyther territory.) I view the terms as acceptable.

With the amount of diplomacy going on you could have fooled me into thinking the game had started.

You know, I'm really starting to wonder the effect of simple contraceptions and wonders of modern medicine on these crazy schemes.

To: House Engel

You have served us faithfully for centuries, and we feel that it is time we unite our houses together. We propose a Marriage between Manuel Steward and Fien Engel.

Popcornlord

I am shocked and dismayed that you have not yet put up a list of available Succession Laws.

I believe you make those up on your own.

Patchy is correct. As this is not a computer game, no one needs to be limited by a few set types. If I do not hear otherwise, I will assume a Primogeniture Cognatic system (except for the Imperator, which is elective). But feel free to create whatever system you want.

To: House Steward

I would be most pleased to see my sister married into such a noble house. We accept.

The Steward Inheritance System:

The Current Ruler names his Heir from the eligible candidates, and, if he dies before doing so, there is an election where the vassals and other family Members get to vote, with family members (Including potential heirs) receiving 2 votes, and vassals receiving 1.

As such, Manuel Steward is Heir to the Steward Holdings.

House Karil/SouthernKing
Flag: TBD
Color: Orange
Capital: Tau Ceti
-The major inhabited planet in the system is Tau Ceti V, the fifth out of thirteen planets in the system, which has two moons and a spectacular ring system. Tau Ceti V is an ocean world, although there are a few small islands, the largest being the size of New Guinea. The islands are sparsely inhabited, mostly used for limited farming, biological study, or tourism. Most activity occurs in the cities, sprawling, gleaming entities that float on the water's surface. However, poor administration has led to unrest and rampant crime and corruption.
Head of Household: Jax Karil
Relations: Son, 17 (Kertus), Daughter, 15 (Jska), Son, 13 (Jarold)
House History: The Karil house started as a of merchant family on Earth, organizing and reaping the benifits of trade with other systems. During one particularly rough recession, they were caught up in criminal activity, and quickly established a powerful criminal empire. However, greed and some poor decision-making on their part led to their empire being destroyed by law enforcement. One member escaped to Tau Ceti and re-established the Karil Family as a criminal force. When the Empire collapsed several decades later, Jax Karil staged a near-bloodless coup and established the Family's control over the system.

Stats are up. I'm currently updating the map and claims on the front page. I'd like to remind anyone interested in playing as the Imperator to say so. Otherwise, thomas.berubeg will get it by default.

@Southernking:
Did you mean to type Jesika instead of Jska?

to House Vendini
from House Alastor

We propose a betrothal between Zoey Vendini, the Courtier of House Vendini, and Duke Portas Alastor, the Duke of Endas. All children will be of the father's Dynasty. All members of both dynasty will be bound by Marital Alliance.

My apologies for not posting recently. There was a problem with my router, and I was effectively cut off from the internet.

Anyways, I'll be starting on update one and the non-player stats, short of someone else requesting a house. There's some other things I'd like to do first, especially clearing up some of the rules, but expect Monday/Tuesday.

I've also been thinking of Talonschild's post, and how to improve combat/ship design. I have an alternative system here that I'll implement if it gets a good reception.
Spoiler Alternative System :
In brief, ship design is regulated and ship stats are changed to better reflect combat.

The cost of a ship is entirely determined by the stats, and I no longer have any say in the matter. Anything not directly related to stats, like carrying capacity or colonization ability, is determined by "modules". I'll create a list of modules if this idea goes through. Each class has a limited space for modules, and certain modules can take up more than one space.

Weapons can be divided into three types: Missile, Kinetic, and Energy.

Missile are exclusively used for long range attacks: because of their immense range, larger ships can safely fight from two opposing sides of a "battlefield". These Missile are ineffective against fast, agile targets, however. Missile can be countered by Kinetic weapons, also known as point defense.

As said, kinetic weapons can be used defensively against missiles, or offensively against squadrons. Their short effective range makes them impractical against anything larger than a fighter. However, the only defense fighters have is their speed.

Energy is a medium range weapon, normally used by smaller craft and squadrons. It requires the least amount of space on the ship, requiring no ammo or bulky turrets. Energy is countered by shields.

As such, the new stats would be Missile, Kinetic, Energy, Shields, and Agility. Agility is used to counter weapons and to determine how fast it can move from one side of the battlefield to the other.

Furthermore, the Classes are redesigned slightly:

Squadrons are to small and fast to be attacked by a missile. They do not have the space to place turrets or store missiles, and as such the kinetic and missile stats are always zero. They still require a carrier to move between systems. They cost 1EP, plus 1EP for every stat increase. Agility costs .5EP each. They can not use modules.

Frigates are a new class, between squads and cruisers, mobile but weak. They can not use missiles, but can use kinetic weapons. However, they can also be targeted by missiles. They can travel between systems on their own, and have a free +2 to agility. They cost 1EP, plus 1EP per stat increase. They have one module space.

Cruisers are much the same. They cost 1EP, plus 1EP per stat increase. They have four module spaces.

Capital Ships now take two hits to destroy. To make up for this, they are significantly more expensive. They cost 1EP, plus 2EP for every stat increase. Agility costs 3EP each. They have unlimited module space.

Stations are cheaper Capital Ships that can not move. They also take two hits to destroy. They cost 3EP, plus 1EP per stat increase. Their agility is always 0.

Unless otherwise limited, all stats start at 1, and can be increased to the maximum value allowed by technology. This starts as 5.

A common battle would see the Capitals and Cruisers exchange missiles, while also targeting Frigates. Frigates would either move in to attack squadrons, or perform "hit and run" tactics. Squadrons would attack larger ships up close with energy weapons, or be used to destroy other squadrons/frigates. Of course, a smart strategist may find better roles for these ships to take.

All this is prone to changes in testing.

Thanks to Seon for suggesting the Frigate, Thomas.Berubeg, for making me write out my ideas of combat, and Talonschild, for getting the ball rolling.

Thought? I could also keep the old system, but streamline the design process like above, where each stat costs a certain amount.

Edit: Looking back, the costs are way too high. I might end up halving them. Again, there will be some testing and experimentation on my end first.

I very much like that. One thing in particular was the combination of Kinetic Weapons and Point Defense - stroke of inspiration. It seems a pity I only hhave time to lurk this NES.

Also, despite how late this comes, I thought the Mhulkn were perfectly fine to RP as - the whole semi-hive thing would amount to the underlings being rather like Star Wars-type clones. The only disadvantage is that it limits the level of master-vassal recursion available to more individualistic races.

Well, it actually works better to have everyone human. That emphasis the marriage aspect (as interspecies marriages would be hard to justify), and there's always going to be a powerful threat on the edge of space. And I can make the alien culture as weird as I want, without worrying about playability.

Also, I would be glad to have you along if you have time later. But just lurking is appreciated as well. :)

I think it's Gud idea.

Speaking of which, official Succession Law of the Alastor Dynasty:

Agnatic Cognatic Primogeniture Succession:

Firstborn child always succeeds the ruler. Child born to the reigning ruler, ie born in the purple, have larger claim than those who are not. Ruler may at any point designate a child as Despot. A child designated Despot is considered as having equal claim to the throne as those who are Born in the Purple, but does not automatically designate succession. A second child born in the purple with the title of Despot will have less claim on the throne than the first born without. However, a second child with the title of despot will have a larger claim on the throne than a third born in the purple.

Top Bottom