Proud Screenshots

Theov

Deity
The 'interesting screenshot' threat always gets real big.
Therefore, I am proud to introduce to you:

The Screenshots that made you Proud!!

See this as an invitation to hit 'print screen' when you did something awesome, you pumped your fist and said 'oww yeah'.
Less talking, more awesome screenshots.

I'd move the settler one W then NW. Get all the oases, a game, and a BG with some forests and a floodplain to boot. (there is 2, but I'm assuming Berlin will work that one)

Luck you. I always get put in some silly good for nothing piece of trash desert or ice.

I am not sure if this meets Theov's requirements, but I am proud of it as I finally managed a trade for a RESOURCE with the AI, after several years of playing. I am still analyzing why the amazing event occurred, but I suspect that it might be partly the size of map I am playing on. I am playing on a Modified Ocean World map, standard size, with initially 7 opponents. I have eliminated the Aztecs and the Greeks so far, and I am now at war with the Romans. They have, with unerring accuracy, put a city on one of the two or three that have Uranium eventually appearing, and I would like to make sure that I have that. Unlike most of my games, I have only a small tech lead, as from contacts, it looks like everyone is in the Middle Ages, with me getting close to Industrial. It looks like I might have some real fun with my changes to the more modern military units.

Note, I suspect that I overpaid for the gems, but I was so shocked to actually have a trade. Cathy was asking for the Moon, Sun, Stars, and firstborn to begin with. I was simply trying to keep Julius broke, and see what techs he might be looking for.

Attachments

• Russia Wants 1.jpg
    Russia Wants 1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Russia Gets 2.jpg
    Russia Gets 2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Roman Trade 3.jpg
    Roman Trade 3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 150
What you paid for those gems seems about right. Cathy has but 5 cities, and consequently a rather low population also. You have what... 9 or 10 cities, twice the number of hers? Luxuries cost more when you have more territory/population (not sure which or both) than the tribe you trade with. They cost less when you have little territory in comparison, as OCC and 5CC players will attest. I know there's a good thread around here somewhere about this, but I can't seem to find it right now.

And you're researching chemistry in 450 BC with just 5 cities and tons of gold?

Heavily modded?

And you're researching chemistry in 450 BC with just 5 cities and tons of gold?

Heavily modded?

Yes, this is one of my modified games. I have the Great Library set to give 2 free advances, and Education gives a free advance the same way that Philosophy does. I also have boosted the cash flow to speed up research. I also have 13 cities generating research, along with Copernicus's Observatory. I have a bit of a research edge, but Rome is not that far behind, they are looking for gunpowder a few turns later, and I got that not that long ago. My boosts work both ways, as they speed up my research and the AI. With the standard map and everyone having trade contacts, I suspect that the AI is trading tech like mad.

Spoonwood said:
What you paid for those gems seems about right. Cathy has but 5 cities, and consequently a rather low population also. You have what... 9 or 10 cities, twice the number of hers? Luxuries cost more when you have more territory/population (not sure which or both) than the tribe you trade with. They cost less when you have little territory in comparison, as OCC and 5CC players will attest. I know there's a good thread around here somewhere about this, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Thanks for the information, Spoonwood. I thought that it seemed high, but the foreign affairs advisor pushed for it. I will keep that in mind in the future. I am playing multiple games on a couple of standard maps, and I have discovered that I have to play differently from the way I play on Huge maps, with fewer civilizations. Definitely a much faster paced game.

I just begun this game, and as my warrior moved over the mountain, his mouth turned to water. There was SOOO much food there! My capital is more useful with those 2 cattles, but, I mean, just watch! View attachment 217415 2 food from wheat, 3 from flood plain, 1 from irrigation, 1 from RR... that's 34 food units there, within 5 tiles.

I just begun this game, and as my warrior moved over the mountain, his mouth turned to water. There was SOOO much food there! My capital is more useful with those 2 cattles, but, I mean, just watch! View attachment 217415 2 food from wheat, 3 from flood plain, 1 from irrigation, 1 from RR... that's 34 food units there, within 5 tiles.

Wow, that city will be a beast. You should be able to claim a lot of territory with the settlers that city will be able to churn out.

@timerover51: I see... I did not read your thread about modding philosophy until a few minutes ago. I'm a purist when it comes to Civ - but I'm not going to give you any 'flak' about it though ;)

I was just curious about the insane research capacity.

Meat, anyone? (posted in Interesting screenshots too)

ditto.

Same game, after a while, (victory via conquest).

How does finding a nice starting location make you proud? Please explain.

At least Northen Wolf showed what he did with it.

I like good starts, I can make 'em beautiful civilization centers (in my eyes):)

It sometimes takes perserverance to find a really good start. In my Portugal game it took perserverance to pop a settler from a hut that early, and I had to understand how huts worked for an expansionist civ at Deity level. I finished in 1525 AD with a 20k victory in that one.

So not using Mapfinder but intead taking 3 weeks of my holidays for manually rolling starts and then finding a 4 cow start with a settler popped from a hut - a start which I could have found with Mapfinder overnight - this will make me feel proud? I'll have to trust you on this, as I've never tried it.

To find a cow with a river start, it doesn't take 3 weeks. Maybe something like 20 or 30 minutes. Mapfinder best works for something like finding a high domination limit (Moonsinger and Dianthus wrote the program, as I recall, see the connection?), which you do manually and would take *much* longer if done manually. You can't just evaluate solely by mapfinder the value of a start, even for a 20k game where you'll use the capital. It doesn't give you anything concerning the second ring of workable squares in the fat X, where you might have 3 more cows, 2 hills, 3 jungles, 2 flood plains, 1 or 4 bonus grasslands, or 4 marsh squares. Nor does it necessarily indicate a river nearby a coast, near your capital, where you might move your settler to in a turn or two. I don't know how many MapFinder starts I've ended up throwing away at a glance as not having enough shields, having tundra in the second ring of the fat X, or something.

You can't tell anything about huts from MapFinder. On Deity level you have a 20% playing as expansionist to pop a settler from a hut, and you can't do it until the other AIs have a city up, nor have a settler in production.

Additionally, and I preferably would have said this sooner, the screenshot I gave doesn't so much work as a "proud" screenshot in terms of just what you can see there, but the game it represents. Plenty of players on these forums bashed Portugal as an inferior tribe, the weakest tribe, or something like that. I had played a decent Large Demi-God game with Portugal which partially overturned that notion, but the game where that screenshot comes from pretty much thoroughly does so. Expanionsist ends up useful in the free settler used to get the capital producing culture earlier, earlier commerce, seafaring ended up useful for extra commerce, early contacts, and Alphabet, the Colossus-induced GA helped produce culture earlier and helped pick up research... which meant faster research to the Republic slingshot, and probably implied I got the SGLs I did earlier also, and Carracks helped set up settlements on faraway islands. Maybe some other Seafaring tribes could have ousted Portugal by a turn or two in a 20k game in the same position and the same timing of SGLs (which wouldn't happen exactly, because of different research speed), but I doubt any other tribe could have.

Top Bottom