Proud Screenshots

I think I put this in the wrong thread: INTERESTING SCREENSHOTS

This is one of the best AI trade deals I've ever had:

I never give things for nukes, ever. Still thats a great deal.

Nuclear Power gives Nuclear Plants not nukes.

I have fairly modest goals with Civ3. I am also mildly fixated with the use of culture to flip cities and just use of culture in general as a means to have success without war (e.g. aggressive placements without losing them to culture flips, placements to steal resources from enemy territory etc). On this Huge Earth map as Russia, I had greedily made four cities in central Siberia, that were completely detached from my core empire due to the lunatic empires of the Mongols and Hittites.

1704556856734.png
However, because I'd aggressively pursued culture in Yaroslavl I was able to settle Bryansk right across the garden fence from Harran. Just a mere four centuries later and it all paid off with a lovely little panhandle strip of land linking the two halves of my empire and Krasnoyarsk, with a Forbidden Capital, is set to be my industrial hub.

1704557145820.png

This was an example of pride coming before a fall as I failed to manage the Mongols properly whilst I was woefully overextended territorially and the turn our RoP ended they destroyed me! :D

However, that too was a prideful moment as I mod the game to try and make Rome and Mongols the most fearsome opponents as they woefully underachieve through idiocy (in my experience) in standard settings. So I was like a proud father when he effectively annexed my entire eastern empire in two turns.

Another very modest culture experience was a recent game where Russia got off to a fast start and annexed half of France up the eastern seaboard of their randomly generated map. They were becoming a runaway AI and I was based on another continent and completely under the thumb in my own continent with a much more powerful Chinese to my north. So my military options were a bit limited (given I don't want to play as infinite city sprawl etc).

1704557776156.png

As the Spanish I saw an opportunity to plant cities in the the ruins of these battlegrounds, since the cultural areas had shrunk. Cue an armada of settlers and priests and four centuries later we get the first signs of change and Tours is seduced.

1704558005658.png

Then, following the fall of Rostov to the Ottomans I create enough culture with Jaen to access that space northeast of the Russian spearman. I settle a new city and just 150 years later Lyon flips to me and I have contributed to curtailing the runaway AI (admittedly the Ottomans did the lions share of that the more conventional way). If I had done it militarily I fear the Russians would have allied with the Chinese and ensured my defeat. Plus launching a beachhead on another continent is very hard.

1704558304834.png

In a recurring theme, China destroyed me before I had a chance to flip Orleans out of Russian hands. :D

Anyhoo, just a couple of my more proud failures.

Top Bottom