Quick Questions and Answers

Yes, it will go into the puppet's slot, but won't generate any culture or tourism until rebellion ends.

So, I just settled my new city near Mt Kailash and i'ts not giving me extra faith? Is this because it first needs to adopt a religion or what else could this be? I wanted to take a screenshot but when I paste it in paint it turns completely black..

You need to manually assign a citizen to work the Mt. Kailash tile. Go to City View and click on Citizen Management at the top right of the screen.

Lol now I feel like a noob even though I play on emperor.. But anyway thanks, this must be a part of Civ that I completely missed.

I apologize up front if this has been asked.. I read about 60 pages, then got tired and did some keyword searches... didn't find it.

So, the question -say your city is producing 40 hammers.. and the item you are constructing needs say 100 hammers. In 3 turns you have 120 hammers. Are the extra 20 hammers just lost, or are they converted to gold like when someone beats you to a wonder that you were in the middle of producing?
What about if you queue up items - would the extra 20 hammers then go to the queued up item?

Thanks!

No. The UI isn't great, but the hammers still flow over to your next construction project, even if not queued.

Will a nuclear bomb still work if you make it with a imported uranium without having the uranium resource in your borders and having the import deal expired? If it does, is there a strategic resource penalty like all the other units that were built with a resouce and no longer exist?

Will a nuclear bomb still work if you make it with a imported uranium without having the uranium resource in your borders and having the import deal expired? If it does, is there a strategic resource penalty like all the other units that were built with a resouce and no longer exist?

Nukes don't have an "attack rating" per se, like other units do. Their effects will not be reduced by the strategic resource penalty, you simply won't be able to construct replacements once you've used them until you get more uranium (or use enough nukes to have an excess again).

I just started a game with the Aztecs and noticed that my capital is 2 tiles next to the coast. In previous games I had issues with this because as a non-coastal city you can't improve these tiles and so they only provide 1 food, therefore I always tried to found my cities either next to the coast or either as much inland as possible. Now my question is, should I found a city on the coast near my captial to absorb as much coastal tiles? Or will this cripple my capital's boarder growth because there is a city so close to it? How do you guys deal with this?

Correct, non-coastal cities cannot build lighthouse, fishing boats, etc. As you observed, coast tiles are weak. It nice when a coastal city can build a fishing boat for a sea resource within the 3-hex range of an inland city, but even that is sub-optimal.

The conventional wisdom is that cities should not much overlap, but overlapping weak tiles (mountains, grasslands) is okay. The setup you describe seems absolutely fine, as your capital will not be working the coastal hexes. I have not noticed overlap interfering with border growth at all. If anything, it seems to make the border growth more noticeable. I would love it if someone more informed about this aspect could weigh in!

The biggest concern with coastal cities is (1) they are vulnerable to ship attacks, and (2) deep sea (ocean) hexes are weak even after you have shipyards. The conventional wisdom seems to be to try and limit a city to two hexes of adjacent coast. Having multiple hexes of coast within the three hex limit is okay.

Correct, non-coastal cities cannot build lighthouse, fishing boats, etc. As you observed, coast tiles are weak. It nice when a coastal city can build a fishing boat for a sea resource within the 3-hex range of an inland city, but even that is sub-optimal.

The conventional wisdom is that cities should not much overlap, but overlapping weak tiles (mountains, grasslands) is okay. The setup you describe seems absolutely fine, as your capital will not be working the coastal hexes. I have not noticed overlap interfering with border growth at all. If anything, it seems to make the border growth more noticeable. I would love it if someone more informed about this aspect could weigh in!

The biggest concern with coastal cities is (1) they are vulnerable to ship attacks, and (2) deep sea (ocean) hexes are weak even after you have shipyards. The conventional wisdom seems to be to try and limit a city to two hexes of adjacent coast. Having multiple hexes of coast within the three hex limit is okay.
Thanks for your answer!

... I have not noticed overlap interfering with border growth at all. If anything, it seems to make the border growth more noticeable. I would love it if someone more informed about this aspect could weigh in!...

It's pretty simple. Each subsequent hex a city buys with culture costs more than the previous one. So 2 cities each expanding one hex costs significantly less than one city buying 2 hexes. Unlike Civ 4 where cultural expansion rings were concentric, there is no culture "overlap" in Civ 5 where the border expansion of a city might be redundant in one or more directions due to other cities' presence. Plus those 2 cities are likely producing significantly more culture than just your capitol, depending on buildings and policies.

Pantheon question:

Something like a +1 faith for tundra...does that apply to any tile in your territory, or does the tile need to be worked for it to count?

Thanks!

Faith is a yield, like any other yield. Any game effect that adds a yield bonus to tiles will only be harvested if someone is working that tile.

Short answer: it needs to be worked.

I was just watching the yogscast civ 5 playthrough and it got me wondering if trade routes can go through cities. In this case, Lewis has his capital city connected to a lake rather than the ocean, but there's a one-tile gap between the lake and the ocean at one point. If he placed a city there, so that ships could pass through the lake to the ocean, would he be able to make sea trade routes to other cities?

Here's the video, although it's not particularly relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrGD2RuJTU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUs4br3aZLU0sOEM-3n0-6xQ

Its says on steam that now there are 30k civilization v players but why i can see only 2-3 servers in multiplayer?

I was just watching the yogscast civ 5 playthrough and it got me wondering if trade routes can go through cities. In this case, Lewis has his capital city connected to a lake rather than the ocean, but there's a one-tile gap between the lake and the ocean at one point. If he placed a city there, so that ships could pass through the lake to the ocean, would he be able to make sea trade routes to other cities?

Here's the video, although it's not particularly relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrGD2RuJTU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUs4br3aZLU0sOEM-3n0-6xQ

Trade routes can indeed pass through other cities, even if they're not your own.

As for whether the inland city would be able to use cargo ships, I must admit I'm not sure. The lake would be accessible, but I don't know if the city would be able to produce naval units/be counted as coastal.

Top Bottom