Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Is there an easy way to know whether or not a promotion will be lost on upgrade? Especially for UUs.
Yes, wikipedia xD
Click unit, click specific promotion.
This is example from Celt skirmisher replacement.
I honestly think that losing promotion on upgrade is domain purely of unique units :)
1708627122868.png

Why AIs always prioritizing Mandirs as a follower belief?

1708662724020.png

I noticed, in most of my games this is taken usually as one of the first ones, but even if i have the choice i usually dont, tried once or twice, but i just dont see the value.
Some instant yields doesnt seem that much to me, considering how often citizen born, but then again if you sumarise totally number of yields,
and treat each yield with approriet value ( like 1 production ~ 2 gold ), it seems like its better than Progress finisher.
So alone doestn seems like much, but maybe strenth lays with time, if you have like 100 citizens around mid medieval, this might add up..
Or maybe this additional 2 food trought whole game, especially early game makes a difference?
For pure yields i usually prefer Pagodas, which usually give 3-5 all yields, the only difference is the pressure and resistance, but one missionary can solve those differences, for a long time.
Am i missing something ?

Do they still do that in 4.5? AI does benefit more from it since they grow much more.

Do they still do that in 4.5? AI does benefit more from it since they grow much more.
Seems so, not sure the number of games i play is representative thou :)
Yea, AIs do rly grow fast..
Last game i losed to Aztec, i analysed their game and im testing new strat, that first caravans are with food to expansions.
Most of the time if im not ultra rushing religion, by the time im getting one, mandirs are usually taken, that is why i never rly had a chance to test them.
But next games i will try to observe ifs AI take it eventually, or if they rly do try grab them asap.

Just curious, if AIs benefit them so much, maybe taking them, if you have the ocasion, would be a valid strategy, just to deny them tons of yields :) ?

Last edited:
You can also see the AI scoring on your own religion choices. Does the game recommend Mandir?

I almost always found first in my games unless against religious AIs, and the game did use to recommend Mandir always. I still never picked it (never building first).

Are you guys using InfoAddict?
Long time ago i was loving this mod so much, it tearms of learning experience, but it seemd to me that it crashed my games, especially around industial and modern era, so i kinda
stop using it. Is it safe now?

Long time ago i was loving this mod so much, it tearms of learning experience, but it seemd to me that it crashed my games, especially around industial and modern era, so i kinda
I've been using it for every game since forever, and never had any issues with it. Are you sure that it was the reason for crashes?

I've been using it for every game since forever, and never had any issues with it. Are you sure that it was the reason for crashes?
No, you know how it is.. you add bunch of mods, and when it crushes, you cant rly say why, i mean not now, new releases, you always try to just add the bare minimum.
But before i got crushes when entering both to Science tree and Info addict itselve, and periodic CTD during normal game, during turns or even scroling too fast :) But those seems not very often those days.
Maybe those were same things that triggered CTD, but not the InfoAdddic itselve.
But im glad to hear it, it should be fine.. then i will give it a try :) Im starved for information, trying to learn from my mistakes :)

I've noticed that often rival civs will get a tourism bonus vs my civ of "bonus from boredom within their civilization". How is this number determined? Should I try to get more boredom in my civ to help me get a tourism bonus vs other civs, even though it will hurt my happiness? Actually, there is no "boredom" modifier on my modifier popup. Any help understanding this is much appreciated.

It significantly increases the chance of crashing when you are loading a save from in-game (versus the menu) or trying to back to the main menu from in game.

It can also cause memory-related crashes when opening it late game like the person experiencing tech-tree crashes above

I've noticed that often rival civs will get a tourism bonus vs my civ of "bonus from boredom within their civilization". How is this number determined? Should I try to get more boredom in my civ to help me get a tourism bonus vs other civs, even though it will hurt my happiness? Actually, there is no "boredom" modifier on my modifier popup. Any help understanding this is much appreciated.
The way I understand, you get bonus tourism against them if *they* have boredom unhappiness in their empire.
There are some tools to help increase boredom :
- Increase self per-turn culture, which raise the world median and increase boredom across the globe,
- Steal their art, which will reduce their culture, increase yours, and increase your tourism,
- Broker war against them : if they invest on military, they won't invest in internal development.

No, you know how it is.. you add bunch of mods, and when it crushes, you cant rly say why, i mean not now, new releases, you always try to just add the bare minimum.
But before i got crushes when entering both to Science tree and Info addict itselve, and periodic CTD during normal game, during turns or even scroling too fast :) But those seems not very often those days.
Maybe those were same things that triggered CTD, but not the InfoAdddic itselve.
But im glad to hear it, it should be fine.. then i will give it a try :) Im starved for information, trying to learn from my mistakes :)
These CTDs are memory related, look at my post #9,276, which may help you :)

Can someone tell me where the formula is for recruiting spies?

I'd like to get the first spy in Medieval instead of Renaissance, and reward Tall by reducing the number of spies Wide gets as a function of number of cities owned.

I'd like to get the first spy in Medieval instead of Renaissance, and reward Tall by reducing the number of spies Wide gets as a function of number of cities owned.
I believe, if you hoover on the spy icon there is some description and also the points. You get a Spy everytime you overflow the number of spy points required to get the spy.
I believe on normal you need 50 spy points to get a spy, so if you get something like "100 spy points" it means you get 2 spies. How many points you get depends on the map size,
number of city states originally on the map, and probably some events. First "trigger" is the building in Renesiance era (forgot the name), when all civs receive points, and then same amount every era.
To my knowledge it is impossible to get spy points before that, unless you are England obviously. Honestly, im not sure exacly, if any other actions grant you spy points..
Let say you end up with 49/50 spy points, can you squize 1 point somehow? Dont really know.

You can get spies before Renaissance (outside England) if you have enough culture and get the Statecraft policy which grant spy points.
What I mean is that I'd like to change the formula so you get -15 spy points for every non-puppet city you own.

I guess an alternative way of doing what I want is to make spy actions 5% more expensive for every non-puppet city that you control.

Either way I'm just wondering if there's a lua file somewhere that I can change.

Both the formula for spy points and the formula for network point costs are in the dll, they can‘t be changed in lua.

You can't remove spies once they're given, so it's not recommended to have anything reduce spy points.

Top Bottom