Recommend a modmod

Nabirius

Chieftain
So I've been playing around with FFH for a while now, and I want to ask about potential modmods. I've looked at the modmods a bit, but there are somethings that you can't necessarily get just by reading the change logs.

For instance I'd really like to see the Elohim, the Grigori, and the Doviello see a buff. I'd also really like some new civilizations, especially if they include some interesting new good (as in the alignment) civs. But I would also like it to stay lore-friendly, or at least tone-friendly so I'm a bit worried about the Steampunk dudes for instance.

So to you all who have some experience with these mods what do you all recommend?

I'd recommend you have a look at Orbis (although I'm sure where the download for that one is) and RifE, which adds a lot of new stuff, including new civs and then some. Master of Mana or Wildmana or whichever it's called now is probably fun too, but it's a bit heavy to get into.

Magister Modmod and Extra Modmod are fun for overpowered new content and balance respectively.

The key point is; try all the modmods for yourself. Generally has a favourite mod / mod they created that they'll preach about for you, but reading about a mod is no substitute for playing it yourself.

Extramodmod of course. Includes MNAI for much better AI, EitB for much better balance and no new lore unfriendly content. Seems like what you're looking for :D

but Emm does not add extra fluff..

the best one for extra fluff is Orbis .. AI is decent even if not to paar with MnAI (but it is the oldest of all the mods I'll cite here)

RifE has the most fluff : especially AoE (and there is a customizing option to can disable the civs you don't want at game start, or enable them only for Ai or only for Player) (+ many modules can boost this or that) however AI in RifE is so-so. (maybe even Bad)

MoM has very nice system and AI... but I'll propose you to play with version 1.42 and X-tended for 1.42... (or maybe Darksavant's modmod... which has the better Ai, many interesting things and bug fixes of beta2 but do not use the roosters and planes, which are currently not-finished/balanced)
However, please beware, while lore is very close to FFH, the mechanics make it a totally new game... as far from FFH than FFH is far from BTS.

version beta3 seems interesting, but very complexe, and even more different from base FFH/

Otherwise, Magister's modmod is very fun, it gets the AI from MnaI, is the most lore-ish game. Has much fun;.. and corrects unbalances by... unbalancing something else.
(but beware of Khazad, they tend to snowball and kill everyone in sight)

Balance-wise, Emm is currently the best (for single player): balance from EiTB, AI from MnAI, + a bit of fun on top of that.

those are the "big mods".. there are also a few "smaller-less-well-known-mods" that are supposed to be nice, but I haven't played them, and the threads are kind of dead.... so I cannot say their pro and con

Its hard to play these good modmods after playing Master of Mana with esvath`s great graphics for units new and old. I wish all of them to have those great looking units.

Thanks for pointing us to this Darksavant`s mod because I overlooked it somehow and since it has Xtended in it, its sure worth trying

I would recommend sticking to mods that have updates in the past year or so. Anything older then that and it can get dodgy, especially missing even the basic updates from MNAI, and so on.

Other then that, my preferences:

Erebus in the Balance
More Naval AI
Extra Modmod
Magistermodmod

I would try all of those at some stage. Certainly before moving onto Orbis, MoM or Rife

I would recommend sticking to mods that have updates in the past year or so. Anything older then that and it can get dodgy, especially missing even the basic updates from MNAI, and so on.

Other then that, my preferences:

Erebus in the Balance
More Naval AI
Extra Modmod
Magistermodmod

I would try all of those at some stage. Certainly before moving onto Orbis, MoM or Rife

second all of this. Personally, I enjoy Extramodmod the most these days.

well, you noticed I have not cited EitB and MnAI..
but that's because, currently, for me, those are best played as.. Emm !
(well, because EitB is not the best for single player, but MnAI doesn't have the same sens of balance)
recently, I played Emm, Emm, MoM, MoM, MoM, Emm, Magister, Magister, MoM-DS...
I hope I'll find time to play AoE one day... before MoM goes on a new update...

I can't say much for multiplayer compatibility largely because I seem to recall RiFE suffered a bit in that department because of the modularity it had. But since I don't think anyone else has mentioned my uh... modmodmod? I keep losing track.

Rebirth and Legend, as found in my signature. Like Ashes of Erebus it's a continuation of RiFE, although it has much slower development mainly because I'm the only one working on it, and I'm trying not to pull my hair out with a tweak I've been after for a while. I do fix bugs found in Ashes of Erebus (And give the credit to them for it as well) but there are a number of differences.

For one thing, the Mercurians and Infernals are playable from the start, and I've balanced (or at least tried to) them to not be overly powerful right from the get-go. Hell Terrain no longer spawns from the Infernal terrain; at present it must be cultivated from Bradeline's Well - assuming the Elohim haven't purified it. Work on an alternative means of creating/spreading it is the big pain.
Jotnar are also updated and playable. They're a module for Ashes of Erebus too, but because in RaL I can make tweaks I can't do with modules, I can fix things much more gracefully. A few other modules have been merged into the main source - the Lizard Art Fix, for example. On the other hand, Max's Mekara Mod, aside from bugfixes, has not been merged because I side with Jheral in his belief that it took away too many of the unique mechanics.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, I know there's more. But I have to leave some reason for you to wander along to the thread and have a look, don't I?

I usually play Rise from Erebus, since I really like the added content. More recently I moved over to Ashes of Erebus, since RifE is no longer being developed and still suffers from occasional bugs, while Ashes is at least engaging in bugfixes.

Every now and then I'll fire up a game of Fall Further solely to play the Jotnar in their original implementation.

Top Bottom