Return of the Shadow: The War of the Ring

I did not design the mod, and ifmyou see some earlier posts, I played early on the 2012 tweak Lord Malbeth did on his 2009 version ( which I maintain is superior). However, Rohan is still the best to play, hit Isengard hard and fast before they know what hit 'em, and don't be afraid to spend the gold to get moemRiders faster. Build Battleield Medicine after 15 turns and take mthe tech tree to the Oath renewed. You will build two armies and overrun Mordor.

I have won ten VP games as Rohan.

In General, Play at Elf level, with normal AI agression, and you will stand a good chance.

Either way, I agree, it is an easy 8/10 mod, and my favorite of the LOTR mods.

Good Hunting!

Hah! I somehow won as Gondor on Dwarf!

Got the Fellowship to the Marshes, where I left Boromir behind in Cair Andros (the garrison as well as Faramir were long dead) and then gathered what I had, totally ignoring the defense of my cities aside from Minas Tirith, and marched through Osgiliath (losing it the next turn) past Minas Morgul (I found a way through!) and to Mt. Doom. Nearly gave me a heart attack when I didn't automatically win, but I had it to the next turn. Essentially I did a suicide run akin to the march on the Black Gates, and it worked. Now that I know you can do this, and that it' is like the book, I find it much less frustrating and more fun.

Lost Pelagrir and another city in the end, though. Most invisible units still and unnecessary annoyance in my opinion.

I know that not much has been happening on this page, but I just gotta say that it tickles me pink that people are still playing this! This was kind of my lost hooray into the foray of a Civ III scenario (and my first... this scenario took me YEARS to create). I'm glad people are still enjoying it. If you feel like you can improve upon it at all, go ahead and make a patch! I'd love to see what y'all can do!

Sorry I don't reply much anymore. I haven't regularly played Civ III in a few years (the last thing I remember doing was patching this guy up). If there are any serious errors, I'll see if I can fix 'em, though.

Lord Malbeth, with my schedule now, it's practically the only Mod I play. :)
Thanks for your hard work!

Sent via mobile; apologies for letting Sauron get the Ring in Turn 60!

Hey everyone, I'm using Civ 3 through Steam, but, I don't have a program files x86 on my computer. For whatever reason, my computer was reformatted and runs an illegitimate version of windows. I have a program files, which has steam in there, but it's an internet shortcut. Basically, Steam isn't a folder I can open up. I'm fairly sure there isn't a place for me to extract this file to. Any help?

Hey everyone, I'm using Civ 3 through Steam, but, I don't have a program files x86 on my computer. For whatever reason, my computer was reformatted and runs an illegitimate version of windows. I have a program files, which has steam in there, but it's an internet shortcut. Basically, Steam isn't a folder I can open up. I'm fairly sure there isn't a place for me to extract this file to. Any help?

I'm not sure that I can help you here. Maybe try a different thread that is more about crashes, bugs, and the game mechanics?

Lord Malbeth, with my schedule now, it's practically the only Mod I play. :)
Thanks for your hard work!

Sent via mobile; apologies for letting Sauron get the Ring in Turn 60!

Sorry for the late reply. I'm very happy you are enjoying it! :)

Hello!
I recently DL'd your scenario and think it is great. I am being attacked by invisible units and thought maybe I did something wrong during the process. Are there supposed to be invisible units?
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Joel

I see now that certain units can see these invisible Barrow-Wights, for instance Gimli of the Dwarfs. Are there other units that can see them too or just special ones?

Hello!
I recently DL'd your scenario and think it is great. I am being attacked by invisible units and thought maybe I did something wrong during the process. Are there supposed to be invisible units?
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Joel

I see now that certain units can see these invisible Barrow-Wights, for instance Gimli of the Dwarfs. Are there other units that can see them too or just special ones?

I haven't had the chance to play this in a long time, but my guess is that you are being attacked by Barrow Wights.

Here's a small patch I've made. Mostly just cosmetic things. I increased the Riders of Rohan's attack by 1 (returned them to what they used to be), made Barrow-Wights and The Undead visible, and really made the wonder "The Return of the King" something to strive for. It's now the equivalent to having Wall Street, a commercial dock, police station, Leonardo's Studio, the Great Wall, and a few others, all rolled into one. You can only get to it if you play as either Arnor or Gondor, though, but it is worth it. "The Oath Fulfilled" also produces a Rider every three turns now.

Enjoy! Tell me if it makes it better!

Attachments

• Patch12012013.zip
    177 KB · Views: 624
I stumbled upon this, and the other mod "Lord of Middle Earth" while looking for a LOTR mod. I had one a while ago, back when I owned a hard copy of C3C (lost that years ago...thank god for the steam sales....).

Anyway. I noticed that you thanked ROTCWinter, who made LoME. Is this the successor to all the previous LOTR Mods?

Thanks!

I stumbled upon this, and the other mod "Lord of Middle Earth" while looking for a LOTR mod. I had one a while ago, back when I owned a hard copy of C3C (lost that years ago...thank god for the steam sales....).

Anyway. I noticed that you thanked ROTCWinter, who made LoME. Is this the successor to all the previous LOTR Mods?

Thanks!

I'm glad you like it/found it.

In all honesty, I thanked ROTCWinter because I used some of their ideas that were incorporated in the LoME scenario (I think that's where I got the idea to do the Argonath like it is in the game). I guess you could see this as a 'spiritual' successor to the other LOTR mods, since it seems that it is still being played. If anything, its more of a reboot/remake/successor to Quasidemo's fantastic "Lord of the Ring" scenario that was made a long time ago!

Hmm, I really should try to get this working for Macs. As it stands, I can't even play it on my computer due to this reason.

Stupid sound files...

Hmm, I really should try to get this working for Macs. As it stands, I can't even play it on my computer due to this reason.

Stupid sound files...

Weird, Malbeth, because I have CivIII Complete for Mac and it works fine. Sound and all. Mine is a G3 though...

Weird, Malbeth, because I have CivIII Complete for Mac and it works fine. Sound and all. Mine is a G3 though...

I wonder if your G3 is the key. I have a MacBook Pro running OS X, so I could just be "too advanced" in some regards. :p

The important thing is that you can play it!

Sad news: G3 MAC won't start...

but I still have the laptop, with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise (Linux) and I run CIV III Conquests in Wine. So... all is good. I can still spend hours at it!

I had OSX 10.4.11, btw... the latest OSX that could run on a G3.
So... :dunno:

Sad news: G3 MAC won't start...

but I still have the laptop, with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise (Linux) and I run CIV III Conquests in Wine. So... all is good. I can still spend hours at it!

I had OSX 10.4.11, btw... the latest OSX that could run on a G3.
So... :dunno:

Sorry to hear about the loss, but at least you can still run it.

That's weird. I wonder what the deal is. I know a few others have had issues, but at least no everyone is sunk!

I've been running this on a Mac for ages, no problems - this game is a ton of fun

Im running a 4 quad Intel Mac 8mb RAM - if you have a G3 probably too old these days...

No special requirements neededfor a Mac... the biggest issue appears to be files get 'lost' when they unpack. Download it twice, be prepared to make notes and duplicate particular files and rename them and drop them in - exactly where the error tells you too... initially it's a little frustrating, but a bit of patience you will get a very stable game.... (that goes for all of these Mods/Senarios)

rgs

Phil

Top Bottom