Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

Maybe your text files and/or paths are set up incorrectly… oh, the Steam thing. No, I don't use the Steam version.

Thank you so much for the help Miggi, but I managed to solve it myself. Or rather bypass it. I suspected it might have been Steam mucking it up so I excavated my dusty old CD version of the game, installed the mod on that instead, and lo: It works! (After a few compatibility issues with Win7.) Neither error shows up anymore.

Maybe your text files and/or paths are set up incorrectly… oh, the Steam thing. No, I don't use the Steam version.
This still stands, but I do not have the Steam version so can't test that.

Ah, that's a pity...

(Доста кофти.)

The last update of the Steam version of Civ Complete by Steam/Firaxis added a new line between "PING" and "Host" (line 86) to the labels text that just says "Unknown". Of course this messed up the labeling of buttons for C3C mods/scenarios with own labels texts.

So if you add the line Unknown to the labels.txt file in the location I showed above, this should work. The labels.txt for Rhye´s mod can be found in Rhye's of Civilization X.

I attached that a fixed labels.txt file in the files of RARR.

I've got the Steam version of Civ 3 Complete. What directory do I specify for the installer?

The main Civ folder, or one of the Conquests/Civ3PTW folders?

To save myself from reading through 90 pages (I tried hopping around about ten different pages, not in order),

Does anyone know what about the "special rules" makes this mod load faster in the late game?

It should have a reduced number of air and sea trade hubs. I can't remmember if espionage and certain diplo options like map trading were limited as well.

It should have a reduced number of air and sea trade hubs. I can't remmember if espionage and certain diplo options like map trading were limited as well.

These are all settings I have done in my mod CCM and they are working in speeding up the game. (the methode of cutting down the tradenet was an idea of El Justo in his great scenario AoI) .An additional way in speeding up the game is to set the building maintenance costs to zero and this also improves the gameplay as it shows, that the building maintenance costs are in general a superfluos form of an unnecessairy and therefore "unfun" form of micromanagement. Of course the most important reason for slowing down gamespeed is a huge number of units on the map..

Another methode that could help to improve loading time of a game could be to launch the game in the conquests folder and not in the scenarios folder. I remember in the early times of C3C when we developed SOE, that scenario had loading times of more than one hour and we had special starting save-files for each civ to speed this up. When I put the scenario in the conquests folder and did start it here, the loading time was under 5 minutes. On the other side, when trying this methode with other scenarios,, there was no increase in the loading time. Until today I don´t know, why this methode worked like charm with SOE.

Rhye's of Civilization is a great mod, especially the Earth map with the 31 civs which is completely above and beyond. The only thing is, yes, it is REALLY super fast at the beginning, and certainly very fast even into the middle ages, but as soon as you hit the age of colonialism, it takes AT least 45-50 seconds for one turn. I didn't even bother waiting around to see what the wait times would be like by the time I could build destroyers and infantry (I don't even want to know).

Too bad, I was having so much fun playing as Japan, I managed to create an imperial pacific empire, establishing spice and dye colonies all around the philipines and such, it was SOO fun you have no idea. And then, it started to take 30 seconds to load, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, when it got to a minute to load I just said screw it, it was just too much waiting.

Sometimes you know when the game is taking some time to load you don't mind because it gives you some time to think, but a whole minute for each turn, please, I'm not mentally challenged.

ANyway great mod, I'll Have to play it in 10 years when computers are 100x more powerful than mine (mine is about as good as it gets right now (can play crysis, everything, full graphics)).

but yeah, thanks rhye, at least for half of a playable game, either way I really enjoyed it, especially the way you could build colonial empires, sweet!

Soooo have you tried to play it again? What was it like?

All the download links are broken and Google brings only CivFanatics as a result for this mod. Are my search skills poor or has this mod been lost to the ages?

Top Bottom