Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

Look a the BIQ or use CAII to check the cost of techs. Though Rhye's post implies that your games are not expect to be the norm. Increased tech cost, few civs on a very large map and no huts can slow the game as can low difficulty levels, though emperor should not be the cause. Really bad land and ongoing wars will slow tech. If civs are on islands and have no contact in the early game, it slows the game.

It's the standard Earth map Rhye's of Civilization as it comes, in the Emperor difficulty level as recommended.
What is CAII?
Is it possible to change the cost of techs?
Do you know how to remove Time Victory condition (like in CIV4)?

What is CAII?
Civ Assist II, a helper-program which runs alongside Civ3 and collects game-data into more user-friendly tables for quick comparisons of e.g. available trades. Works with WinXP to Win8, but may not work reliably on newer Windows versions.

CRp-MapSuite(?) is a similar helper, but works on newer Win-versions as well.
Is it possible to change the cost of techs?
Using the Editor, yes. But Rhye spent a long time balancing this mod, so I wouldn't recommend messing with those values.
Do you know how to remove Time Victory condition (like in CIV4)?
On the "Choose Your Tribe" screen, you can click the "Game limits" button, and increase the total turns in-game up to 1000 (from 540 in the base-game -- not sure what the turn-limit is in Rhyes). This won't completely remove the Histographic Victory, but will give you more turns in game before it times out on you.

If tech-pace in your games is routinely as slow as you describe, though, that suggests to me (assuming that you are fully populating the map?) that there is not enough tech-trading and/or too many long wars going on.

How the human player behaves can have a substantial influence on tech-pace, e.g. by hoarding techs vs. tech-brokering, or by signing lots of Alliances which keep the AIs at each others' throats.

Last edited:
Civ Assist II, a helper-program which runs alongside Civ3 and collects game-data into more user-friendly tables for quick comparisons of e.g. available trades. Works with WinXP to Win8, but may not work reliably on newer Windows versions.

CRp-MapSuite(?) is a similar helper, but works on newer Win-versions as well.

Using the Editor, yes. But Rhye spent a long time balancing this mod, so I wouldn't recommend messing with those values.

On the "Choose Your Tribe" screen, you can click the "Game limits" button, and increase the total turns in-game up to 1000 (from 540 in the base-game -- not sure what the turn-limit is in Rhyes). This won't completely remove the Histographic Victory, but will give you more turns in game before it times out on you.

If tech-pace in your games is routinely as slow as you describe, though, that suggests to me (assuming that you are fully populating the map?) that there is not enough tech-trading and/or too many long wars going on.

How the human player behaves can have a substantial influence on tech-pace, e.g. by hoarding techs vs. tech-brokering, or by signing lots of Alliances which keep the AIs at each others' throats.
Thank you!
I'll try the Game Limits thing.
As for the player behaviour, I always go for the Great Library and only spend on tech once Education is reached. I never trade techs before Education.
I populate the entire map, even if I find it silly. Things like "Austrians" together with "Babylon" doesn't sit well with me.
As for wars, it's always me vs. half of the world. They call on each other to prey upon poor me : )

As for the player behaviour, I always go for the Great Library and only spend on tech once Education is reached. I never trade techs before Education.
And there you have it...

(At least in the Firaxis game) building the GLib, tech-hoarding and running zero SCI% at Emperor level is pretty much a perfect recipe for ensuring that you'll be (at best!) third in tech behind the tech-leaders, with all the other Civs even further behind the curve.

If you want a faster tech-pace, maybe start spreading some of those ill-gotten tech-goodies around -- for a price, of course! ;)

Been some time, since I last messed with tech cost. Here is what I recall, hopefully correctly. If not someone will correct it.

Open BIQ in editor
select scenario and enable custom rules
open rules and select edit rules and go to world size and set tech rate.

I use this list I made years ago:

Map tiles:
std = 100x100 = 10000; 5000 tiles in CAII; 240 MM (1.0); 1x (this is game value and so is the huge one)
huge = 160x160 = 16960; 12800 tiles in CAII; 400 MM (MM (2.21); 4x OCN 36
sup250 = 250x250 = 62500; 31250 tiles; 650 MM (2.71); 6.25x OCN 54 unless 512 city 36
sup362 = 362x362 = 131044; 59006 tiles in CAII; 750 MM (3.125); 11.80x tiles of std. OCN 36

OCN, #civs and map size are on this page as well, if you are making a custom map.
250x250 31 civs is my all time fav map. Great for always war play.

Raise the tech cost will slow research, lowering will speed it up. Here is the formula:

Research Cost = [MM * [10*COST * (1 - N/[CL*1.75])]/(CF * 10)] - Research done so far

mm is map modifier based on map size
Tiny 160
Small 200
Standard 240
Large 320
Huge 400

Above huge I figured the total tiles and then a ratio to std size and used that for MM.

Been some time, since I last messed with tech cost. Here is what I recall, hopefully correctly. If not someone will correct it.

Open BIQ in editor
select scenario and enable custom rules
open rules and select edit rules and go to world size and set tech rate.

I use this list I made years ago:

Map tiles:
std = 100x100 = 10000; 5000 tiles in CAII; 240 MM (1.0); 1x (this is game value and so is the huge one)
huge = 160x160 = 16960; 12800 tiles in CAII; 400 MM (MM (2.21); 4x OCN 36
sup250 = 250x250 = 62500; 31250 tiles; 650 MM (2.71); 6.25x OCN 54 unless 512 city 36
sup362 = 362x362 = 131044; 59006 tiles in CAII; 750 MM (3.125); 11.80x tiles of std. OCN 36

OCN, #civs and map size are on this page as well, if you are making a custom map.
250x250 31 civs is my all time fav map. Great for always war play.

Raise the tech cost will slow research, lowering will speed it up. Here is the formula:

Research Cost = [MM * [10*COST * (1 - N/[CL*1.75])]/(CF * 10)] - Research done so far

mm is map modifier based on map size
Tiny 160
Small 200
Standard 240
Large 320
Huge 400

Above huge I figured the total tiles and then a ratio to std size and used that for MM.
Bro, I'm an old geezer specialized in literature.
I can follow your post until the line "Open BIQ in editor".
And I'll be scratching my head to do even that.
Thanks anyway! : )

Lol, I am 78. The BIQ is the file type for c3c (civ 3 conquest). Use the editor that comes with Conquest aka c3c to open the BIQ. Base civ3 is named BIC. Then you can find the drop down that has the custom rules, it will be unchecked by default, unless the BIQ had it specified (I think).

Possibly a man that is not as lazy as I am will do it in pictures, our main man Civinator. He is great at making things clear.

Top Bottom