Rise of Mankind 2.81 feedback and bug reports

I found another small bug about random event "EVENT_OVERWHELM_1" ( This is its key string in the XML file "CIV4EventInfos.xml" ). When this event was triggered, it can not show the correct name of the building for the extra reward, but just displayed "???" instead. It should be PROJECT_MANHATTAN_PROJECT. ( I checked it out in the function "getHelpOverwhelm1" of the file "CvRandomEventInterface.py" ).

Maybe the two Manhattan Project ( one for project and another for building ) cause this problem?

I downloaded 2.8 full, unpacked and copied to BTS Mods - then downloaded unpacked and copied files from 2.81 into the ROM folder. (Note - Vista and I couldn't get RAR to unzip into the mod folder directly).

Now the game will start with the Mod, but I get a number of messages that BUG options "failed to init"

What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded 2.8 full, unpacked and copied to BTS Mods - then downloaded unpacked and copied files from 2.81 into the ROM folder. (Note - Vista and I couldn't get RAR to unzip into the mod folder directly).

Now the game will start with the Mod, but I get a number of messages that BUG options "failed to init"

What am I doing wrong?

Just to get obvious out of the way:

Did you start up the mod with "Run as Administrator"?

The Ashanti civ isnt descripted correctly in the scoreboard. See attachment.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 236
I'll got to fix it when I make this civ into single modular download...

What am I doing wrong?

I believe I had the same. It was a whole series of messages that xxx file couldn't be written. That was due to (somehow) the RoM install directory and sub-directories being flagged as 'read-only', possibly some default option that happens when you unzip the full file. After a few passes of unflagging the read-only option and restarting RoM, I got the messages to disappear.

So I had been getting CTD in the modern and post era for a while and finally found the source of some. They would occur when I was attacking or during the AIs turn. What I realized was that it only occurred when there was fallout where the battle was taking place. I guessed that Battle Effects may be causing a conflict so I disabled it. No more CTD on attack. I even was able to reload a save and it would crash with Battle Effects on, and would not with it off. Not sure if this is a ROM issues since Battle Effects are from another mod integrated with ROM correct?

Its a shame since Battle Effects are pretty cool.

Thanks os79. I think that is my problem - dont know how to run winrar as admin. So not a 2.81 issue. Will do some searching around on that so I can get the full panoply of options.

I am using BTS 3.19. I used to play ROM 2.71 and it worked just fine. So i decided to play the newer ROM. I erased the folder of the previous version, put in the ROM 2.8full version (not the mega version) and then i installed the 2.81 patch.
I run the game and there is no interface nor civilopedia!!!

My operating system:
OS : Windows Vista Home premium SP1 (Multilanguage Greek-English) 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHZ
M/board: Giagabyte S-series GA-G31M-ES2L
Memory: 4GB
Display Card: ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 (nucleus 600Mhz,memory 400MHz)

I also attach a log file from the first turn of the first game in 2.81

Can you please help me solve my problem?
:(

Attachments

• NO UI ROM2.81.zip
    213.7 KB · Views: 73
Hello! just downloaded and installed ROM 2.81 with mega-civ pack, but it doesn't work...

sys: win xp russian
Intel core 2 duo 3.16
2 gb ram

in this state i even cant go in civilopedia from the main menu. when i start new game, it stucks on display with earth picture, green "initializing" progress don't appear.
i tried to change directories in CvAltRoot.py as described in FAQ, but it doesn't helped. when i copied mod directory in corresponding directory in My documents folder, it have loaded, but without any UI....
when i changed default language for non-unicode programs from russian (cyrillic) to english, civilopedia started to load from main menu, but not the game. so i returned it to russian language.
i see the problem is that program can't work well with "My Documets" written in cyrillic, but why CvAltRoot.py changing doesn't help?... and for instanse, original BtS work just fine with cyrillic folder names.

tnax in advance! log-files attached.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    770.9 KB · Views: 73
I am using BTS 3.19. I used to play ROM 2.71 and it worked just fine. So i decided to play the newer ROM. I erased the folder of the previous version, put in the ROM 2.8full version (not the mega version) and then i installed the 2.81 patch.
I run the game and there is no interface nor civilopedia!!!

My operating system:
OS : Windows Vista Home premium SP1 (Multilanguage Greek-English) 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHZ
M/board: Giagabyte S-series GA-G31M-ES2L
Memory: 4GB
Display Card: ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 (nucleus 600Mhz,memory 400MHz)

I also attach a log file from the first turn of the first game in 2.81

Can you please help me solve my problem?
Logs indicate that the game can not understand your windows username:

Code:
  File "BugUtil", line 282, in logToFile
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 54-58: ordinal not in range(256)
In logs there's line: C:\Users\ÅÌÅÉÓ\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder\WBQuickSave,
which shows that the username is quite oddly written which probably causes now the missing UI problem. Did you try CvAltroot.py to solve this problem? If not, you could try that and I'll also try to find another solution so that this kind of errors do not happen in future RoM versions.

@velvet_sun

Your problem is the same as above. I'll try to find fix for it on this weekend if I'm not too busy with real life stuff (need to do some xmas shopping this weekend). Currently mod can't be used by default with Russian language as I haven't added text tags for Russian translation yet (it's on my todo list).

Multiplayer fix? OSS not happen after the attack on the Barbarian?
No fix yet, you'll have to wait for next RoM version (2.82 or 2.9). For now use v2.71 for multiplayer.

So I had been getting CTD in the modern and post era for a while and finally found the source of some. They would occur when I was attacking or during the AIs turn. What I realized was that it only occurred when there was fallout where the battle was taking place. I guessed that Battle Effects may be causing a conflict so I disabled it. No more CTD on attack. I even was able to reload a save and it would crash with Battle Effects on, and would not with it off. Not sure if this is a ROM issues since Battle Effects are from another mod integrated with ROM correct?

Its a shame since Battle Effects are pretty cool.
There has been problems with Battle effects in RoM and I'd leave them off. RoM has more terrain types and features than RevDCM for which the Battle Effects were designed and coded and because I've added new terrain features, it has been difficult to get the Battle effects work correctly.

Logs indicate that the game can not understand your windows username:

Code:
  File "BugUtil", line 282, in logToFile
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 54-58: ordinal not in range(256)
In logs there's line: C:\Users\ÅÌÅÉÓ\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder\WBQuickSave,
which shows that the username is quite oddly written which probably causes now the missing UI problem. Did you try CvAltroot.py to solve this problem? If not, you could try that and I'll also try to find another solution so that this kind of errors do not happen in future RoM versions.

Excuse for not knowing, but, how can i use cvaltroot.py to solve my problem?

Another thing that i want to ask is: if i change my windows user name with a latin-written one, shall i solve the problem?

P.S. i attach the cvaltroot.py of my ROM folder

Working hard to build the first ocean-going vessels I was surprised to be beaten to circumnavigation in 500 A.D. by a tiny country with no techs. Checking on the world builder I discovered that the oceans were dotted with galleys of all nations but my own. Are their special rules for computer players? My galleys sink the first turn they enter the ocean. Actually i was wondering why they were permitted to enter the ocean if they were just going to sink anyway; am I just unlucky?

Well, I am a noob at Civ 4 modding, but I've figured out through logs that it's a problem with BUG mod. Zappara, fix it please, it's quick :).

Anyway, a fast manual fix for those without interface is:

1) Locate a file BugPath.py in Assets/Python/BUG folder.
2) Copy a file somewhere just in case.
3) Open it with a text editor and find a section commented as "# user dir".
To make it sure, this is how it looks:
Code:
	# user dir
	if isMac():
		# Mac OS X
		if not setUserDir(join(os.environ['HOME'], "Documents")):
			BugUtil.warn("Cannot find user's Documents folder")
	else:
		# Windows
		import _winreg
		def getRegValue(root, subkey, name):
			key = _winreg.OpenKey(root, subkey)
			try:
				value = _winreg.QueryValueEx(key, name)
				return value[0]
			finally:
				key.Close()

for version, key, subkey in MY_DOCUMENTS_FOLDER_REG_KEYS:
			try:
				myDocuments = getRegValue(_winreg.HKEY_CURRENT_USER, key, subkey)
			except:
				pass
			else:
				if setUserDir(join(myDocuments, MY_GAMES_FOLDER)):
					BugUtil.info("BugPath - found valid Windows %s My Documents folder registry key", version)
					break
		else:
			BugUtil.debug("BugPath - no valid My Documents registry key")
4) Remove this text.
5) Replace it with:
Code:
	userDir = os.path.normpath("C:/Documents and Settings/Deon/My Documents/My Games/")
Don't forget to replace "Deon" with your username :)
6)?
7) Profit.

That's it, quite easy to fix.

Drop the file I attach to /Rise of Mankind/Assets/XML/Text/, and it should be gone.

Attachments

• RoM_CIV4GameText_Ashanti.rar
    536 bytes · Views: 80
Working hard to build the first ocean-going vessels I was surprised to be beaten to circumnavigation in 500 A.D. by a tiny country with no techs. Checking on the world builder I discovered that the oceans were dotted with galleys of all nations but my own. Are their special rules for computer players? My galleys sink the first turn they enter the ocean. Actually i was wondering why they were permitted to enter the ocean if they were just going to sink anyway; am I just unlucky?

same problem for me :(

It is a "feature" of RoM since v2.7 or so. It makes no sense at all to me. According to Zap it works the same for human and AI, but it sure feels like the AI has the advantage.

I use Aforess "A New Dawn" modmod package, It has a Seafaring option which sets it back to work the way it should be working.

Top Bottom