Rise of Mankind 2.81 feedback and bug reports

It is a "feature" of RoM since v2.7 or so. It makes no sense at all to me. According to Zap it works the same for human and AI, but it sure feels like the AI has the advantage.

I use Aforess "A New Dawn" modmod package, It has a Seafaring option which sets it back to work the way it should be working.

The AI has an "advantage" because it spams ships and only one will sink a turn. Meanwhile you are building other stuff, that's your "advantage".

The AI has an "advantage" because it spams ships and only one will sink a turn. Meanwhile you are building other stuff, that's your "advantage".
OK, but that will effectively just hamper the AI. It uses resources building stuff that sinks in the ocean. I really think this "feature" shouldn't be in RoM.

Logs indicate that the game can not understand your windows username:

Code:
  File "BugUtil", line 282, in logToFile
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 54-58: ordinal not in range(256)
In logs there's line: C:\Users\ÅÌÅÉÓ\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder\WBQuickSave,
which shows that the username is quite oddly written which probably causes now the missing UI problem. Did you try CvAltroot.py to solve this problem? If not, you could try that and I'll also try to find another solution so that this kind of errors do not happen in future RoM versions.

I tried both methods recommended in the cvaltroot.py but still no result!!! No UI no civilopedia.

I tried also to change the bugpath.py (# userdir section") and put it as DEON says (who has the same problem) but nothing again...

What must i do?? Pleeease help!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

Logs indicate that the game can not understand your windows username:

Code:
  File "BugUtil", line 282, in logToFile
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 54-58: ordinal not in range(256)
In logs there's line: C:\Users\ÅÌÅÉÓ\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\WorldBuilder\WBQuickSave,
which shows that the username is quite oddly written which probably causes now the missing UI problem. Did you try CvAltroot.py to solve this problem? If not, you could try that and I'll also try to find another solution so that this kind of errors do not happen in future RoM versions.

I tried both methods recommended in the cvaltroot.py but still no result!!! No UI no civilopedia.

I tried also to change the bugpath.py (# userdir section") and put it as DEON says (who has the same problem) but nothing again...

What must i do?? Pleeease help!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(
The game does not understand Unicode. You must have all English characters in your Windows username. Change your Windows username and that will fix it.:cool:

Which faq page my friend? i tried to find it but i couldn't! in which forum? please help

The faq page is here.

I`m having a serious problem with the slave revolt event. The revolt just won`t end, regardless which option I chose (even spending money and sacrificing population won`t end it). Fortunately, it`s just a small fishing village, so it doesn`t affect my game much, but it is a major annoyance and certainly a bug. Is there anything I can do about it (worldbuilder maybe)?

Similarly, some of the early events seem to be broken. The two risky options for the herbalists event (create unhappiness for a chance of health) have only the negative results - i.e. you get the unhappiness and have no chance for the reward.
The second option of the ruin event lets you spent a significant amount of money - but the result ist exactly the same as for the second, free choice.

OK, but that will effectively just hamper the AI. It uses resources building stuff that sinks in the ocean. I really think this "feature" shouldn't be in RoM.

I don't think they are spamming ships. The AI ships are simply not sinking. If one AI has only two coastal cities and no others how does it spam enough ships to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific at 500 A.D. (on one of the really big maps), while it is at war with other great powers, no less? Not to mention all the other galleys that were bobbing about in the middle of the ocean.

I also noticed early on that barbarian galleys ignore all the ocean requirements, too, as they often cross the ocean, hovering about in deep water out of range of my triremes for a time before they enter my territory. The first few times I sent out a trireme to try to head them off it sank before engaging while I imagine the barbarians were laughing. I thought this was just a barbarian feature but it appears that all AI's ignore deep water restrictions, at least on galleys.

I will try to take a closer look at what is going on.

Edit. I am guessing that since entering the ocean is not absolutely forbidden to a unit, even if it is not ocean-capable, then AI units were made immune to sinking to prevent them from stupidly losing their entire fleet. Of course, this means that they can get the circumnavigation bonus using galleys at the beginning of the game, and presumably colonize land masses in the ocean using galleys at the beginning of the game as well, though I have not yet seen that.

I would change this to prohibit non-ocean-going AI vessels from entering the oceans at all, unless perhaps it is the only way to get to a known location. I presume that AI's are finding the new world before I do via exploration.

I`m having a serious problem with the slave revolt event. The revolt just won`t end, regardless which option I chose (even spending money and sacrificing population won`t end it). Fortunately, it`s just a small fishing village, so it doesn`t affect my game much, but it is a major annoyance and certainly a bug. Is there anything I can do about it (worldbuilder maybe)?

Similarly, some of the early events seem to be broken. The two risky options for the herbalists event (create unhappiness for a chance of health) have only the negative results - i.e. you get the unhappiness and have no chance for the reward.
The second option of the ruin event lets you spent a significant amount of money - but the result ist exactly the same as for the second, free choice.

Yes, some of the events are broken. It happened in a RevDCM a few upgrades ago when they started to move to the WoC standard. It seems to have slipped off peoples to do list although I did see it mentioned on their forum reciently.

The only way to stop the slave revolt is to choose the correct option first time. Crack down but address their greviances, I think.

Does the mega civ pack work with v2.81? I downloaded RoMmega and it seemed to work fine. (Ive had problems with it in the past). So when I installed the new patch it didn't ask me to overwrite anything, all the new stuff went into a compatibility folder. I have a feeling that's my problem, but I'm not sure. I also used the jar installer file in both files it should up in; modules and custom civs. Does anyone know what my problem is?

@Deon the fix for missing interface is already in the FAQ page.;)

I don't see it. There's something about CvAltRoot.py, while the problem is in BugPath.py.
It has nothing to do with user name for me, it's because "my documents" are "мои документы" (in russian) and is not related to RoM interface, just to BUG.

Which faq page my friend? i tried to find it but i couldn't! in which forum? please help
Did you try my suggestion?

I don't see it. There's something about CvAltRoot.py, while the problem is in BugPath.py.
It has nothing to do with user name for me, it's because "my documents" are "мои документы" (in russian) and is not related to RoM interface, just to BUG.

Did you try my suggestion?

Nothing my friend i tried!! I wonder why ROM 2.71 worked and 2.81 can't

No solution yet to this 'no interface' problem - I checked some python files yesterday but couldn't figure out yet what might cause your problem. I'll take another look at the files early next week (today I had xmas shopping day).

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or simply an option I can turn off, but when I press a button on the keyboard it displays a message on the screen.
These messages say something like, "Startdump-1" or something similar, but I've identified them as the changes made to the game, that the user isn't meant to see.
(It appears while changing civics, etc, with different messages depending on the event).

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or simply an option I can turn off, but when I press a button on the keyboard it displays a message on the screen.
These messages say something like, "Startdump-1" or something similar, but I've identified them as the changes made to the game, that the user isn't meant to see.
(It appears while changing civics, etc, with different messages depending on the event).

Any thoughts?
I forgot some debug messages on from BUG mod. Press ctrl+alt+o and go to system page (I think that's the one) and there set the screen debug settings from debug to info and those annoying messages stop showing.

Make Justinians fav. civic: Intolerant.... instead of Free Church... please...

CvAltroot.py was made specifically for rare problems with BugPath.py. Now if CvAltroot.py doesn't help, then the problem could be somewhere else than in BugPath.py file.

Dont know if this was brought up before or not, but i get pink eyebrows on Colonial Washington??

Also can you please get rid of that Blue Star for America, its here where you have to change it:

<CivilizationArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/America.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civics_Civilizations_Religions_Atlas.dds,1,5</Button>
<Path>Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_America.dds</Path>
<bWhiteFlag>1</bWhiteFlag>
</CivilizationArtInfo>

Dont know if this was brought up before or not, but i get pink eyebrows on Colonial Washington??

Also can you please get rid of that Blue Star for America, its here where you have to change it:

<CivilizationArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civilizations/America.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Civics_Civilizations_Religions_Atlas.dds,1,5</Button>
<Path>Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_America.dds</Path>
<bWhiteFlag>1</bWhiteFlag>
</CivilizationArtInfo>

The whole point of the flag was that it would be the same colour as the civ map colour. That way you could imediatly see who was who, now that people are messing with the flags you need to mouse over the unit to find out who they belong to. Putting the flags back to their defaults is one of the first things I did - I should make it one of my personal tweeks I suppose. You could do the same instead of asking Zappara you know;)

Top Bottom