SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

:lol:
My first Cordite Explosion, and it's a double! Germans declare on Russia, Russia attacks Germany, my Russian acquisitions start acting up, I try to quell the rioters (after taking two cities in my quest for more luxuries) ... and then this happens to the ones who don't calm down:

BLAST YOUR EARS

Hey dudes ,sadly a handful of unit sounds didn`t work as they should. No problem ,right ?

- unpack the archive somewhere (you`ll find a folder called "AoI" inside the archive)
- cut or copy that folder into ...\Conquests\Scenarios\

It SHOULD ask you if it is OK to overwrite !!!
If not ,it`s an indicator that you have done something wrong or installed AoI in a wrong place.

To avoid the folder-in-a-folder issue I have named the archive "SoundPatchAoIv4".
So if you unpack the archive and end up with an folder called "SoundPatchAoIv4" you need to open that folder and cut/copy the folder "AoI" from there to ...\Conquests\Scenarios\.

This Sound Patch is authorized by El Justo !

Attachments

• SoundPatchAoIv4.rar
    421.2 KB · Views: 2,061
what would be really nice would be to have some reports from eras 3 & 4.

Both my games (German and A-H) have gotten to Era 3, although not far in yet (haven't gotten Light Cruisers II yet). Unfortunately, I normally play on Regent and haven't pushed the difficulty slider up yet, leading to fair competition up to about mid-second era, when I tend to run away. Anyway, the only thing I've really noticed so far is the Interrupter Gear wonder (Advanced Aerial Combat?) puts an Airfield on every city on the Continent - it would probably work for a civ like Russia, with poor War Weariness, but for my two games the only use it would serve would be to mass-produce Vet. air units, which wouldn't be *terribly* useful - in my German game, the French built 25 Adv. Airships, and the Russians and British both have them in my A-H game, but Flak guns and Regular Fighters are good enough for me so far. I'll play a bit more tonight and try to get to Era 4 and give my thoughts on the rest of Era 3.

Oh, and the Tegetthoff Superdreadnoughts do not Obsolete the Radetzky Dreadnoughts, so you could build both as Austria-Hungary.

Since i am not in the game right now, I have to ask a question.
Does Germany get its own CV or is it the Sea Plane Tender One?

Germany has its own Carrier.

Anyway, I got a few turns in my A-H game (Week 5 of 1911, IIRC), but I'm still in Era 3. These are more my thoughts and general playstyle notes than anything ... terribly interesting, I think.

Anyway, technologically I'm in the lead. I'm 3 turns away from Biplane Fighters II at 20% Science - I've been consistently 4-turn Researching for an age and a half, though. On the lower path, I have everything except the final Colonial advance, since I don't have any colonies at the moment :lol:

My nearest competitors are, I believe, Britain and Russia: Britain because they now have at least one completed Battlecruiser, the Russians because they're the only ones who've started building WWI units (besides myself), namely Russian WWI Infantry and Mounted Infantry.

Territorially, I'm monstrous, though I didn't check percentages. I own Spain but not Portugal; from there, draw a line going from Bordeaux to Marseille, then NE to Tula in Russia, then SE to Bishkek (though I won't have that until next turn) - everything you can walk to in-game south of that line, I own, as well as the island of Cagliari. This is actually not my intent.

I'd intended to hold the Balkans, Italy, and Anatolia, as a sort of latter-day Eastern Roman Empire, then just sort of bunker down and wait for everyone to tech up. Then Siam bought the Russians out to DoW me (I wasn't even aware I was at war with Siam), so I took Kiev and Odessa, then decided I'd take the plunge and took to the Caucasus mountains before the French (and Spanish? I forget when they DoW'd me) decided to take me on. I made peace with the Russians and took southern France, which by that time included Santander to Barcelona.

I think it was later that I took Spain ... anyway. Not terribly important when it took place, just that it did. Later on, the Russians and Germans got to fighting again, which is where we are now - I was forced to DoW the Russians, so now they attack me, so I take their cities. It's a vicious cycle.

See, I don't particularly want to hold their cities (although getting Max + 1 Luxuries is awesome, as WW is now a moot point), but the only way to really stop the AI from continually swarming me is to destroy their industrial base; since razing is impossible and pillaging a bit difficult to do, the only real way to do this is to take their cities.

As for the other civs ... offhand:
The Boers have taken Leopoldville and Elizabethville, as well as (somehow) Khartoum.
The Americans have mastered their continent, and have taken a few Caribbean islands as well.
The French (as in my German game) have bent Vicky over their knee and spanked her out of North Africa almost entirely - I think the British are holding onto Cairo still, but just barely.
The Chinese have kicked the Germans and (I think) the British out of China.
The Russians hold the German Pacific Islands and Port Moresby.
The Ottomans, despite being nearly destroyed (down to 1-3 cities) and without their Industrial base, have made a comeback of sorts, retaking their 'Colonial' possessions and even attacking and taking Persian territory.

In Victory Points, I lead with 2153 Points, of which only 78 came from Raw Materials (all but a few of those came from the Intl. Wine Trade in Triest or the Intl. Tobacco [Tea?] in Constantinople). The second place is held by France, with 2026.

In World Ranking, I'm 7th with 2705 Points, behind Great Britain, Russia, France, USA, German Empire, Ottoman Empire, and above (but tied with) Spain.

Some general meanderings, due to playstyle:

Siege Guns are too slow. Movement-wise, not RoF, which is good along with Bombard values. But Move 1 means that unless you're dealing with troops inside your territory or the fortification lines haven't changed, they're near useless. Fun, due to lethal Land Bombard, but not viable units.

Explosions don't seem to destroy the building they originate from ... that's handy :D

The Convoy AI seems to be out of whack, especially for France and Great Britain. I don't think there's anything that can be done to fix it - I've seen similar behaviour with all the Colonial powers, but it's especially bad with those two. Essentially, *all* the ships they build get drafted as Convoy guards past a certain point. Early on, they're content to use ships combatively, and I've seen other nations (particularly America and Japan) go Convoy Raiding with BCs and BBs whenever, but France and GB seem to get scared of losing Transports to such a degree that they won't use any ships for anything other than Convoy duty, leading to such silliness as the Russian fleet getting dominant in the North Sea.

US Marine WWI: 12/12/2, 5 HP, Blitzing, Buildable. Okay. Amphibious. What? Unless I missed something, these guys are the only buildable Amphibious unit in the game, and they're kind of ridiculous with even stats (German WWI Inf. is 12/14/2 with 6 HP, and is one of the best WWI Inf units). The only reason this didn't set off any really weird alarm bells is because Amphibious ... well, it's really not that useful, it's just sort of strange that the only country that can build Amphibious units gets such a powerful version of it.

siege guns are meant to have 1 mvmt as they fit into their own arty category. these guns were often huge and cumbersome and thus difficult to move around. so the 1 mvmt pt is apt imo, especially considering that if you want to 'shoot and scoot', use your field guns and howitzers, not the siege guns.

US Marine WWI is indeed buildable and it's the only buildable amphib unit in the game. the USMC cut its teeth in WW1 and are imho the forerunner of a true amphibious force. now, did they undertake large amphib op's in WW1? no, not really. but Belleau Wood is of legend. and before that, the USMC fought w/ distinction in the P.I. during the insurrection there. however, considering that the USMC was way, way far ahead of all other nations' naval infantry branch, they did not operate on the divisional level. so this malus is reflected in the stats (compared to the divisional sized infantry units). iow, it's a historical reality.

RE: Siege Guns: I know, that was more me thinking out loud how they don't particularly mesh with my style.

RE: Marine WWI: Er, wuh? Okay, you said they were ahead of other nations' Naval Infantry, then say they didn't operate on the divisional level (which I'm assuming regular WWI Infantry do)? But they still have more HP and better stats than other Naval Infantry (8/8/2 with 4 HP, and GB and German variants with 9/9/2 and 4), and are pretty competitive with WWI Infantry - Russian is 10/12 with 5 or 6 HP, French is 11/13 with 6, Austrian is 12/10 with 5, Hungarian is 8/12 with 5. I mean, looking at the two (Marines vs Inf), I'd build Infantry every time unless I wanted flavour, but unless I'm misunderstanding your statement ....

To be fair, I'm not much up on Marine history. Here is what I believe I know that's relevant: the US Marine Corps, due to having seen more continuous fighting than the standard US infantrymen, and the US forces sent to France were fresher than their enemies and allies (due to not being at war for the past 3 1/2 years). From a (brief) lookthrough of the wikipedia article on Belleau Wood, it looks to me like the Marines got cut to ribbons, and took the area primarily through tenacity and bullheadedness.

Playtest Report. Version 4.0.

Russia, Week 13, 1899.

-No wars at all, yet, between anyone. The British Empire, Germany & France have extorted some Gold from me, but I have plenty & am not ready for war, yet. France tried to extort Oasis from me, but I declined & they were bluffing.

-VPs: Russia (me) 346, USA 342, British Empire 337, France 325, Japan 299. That's the top 5. I've been tied with the USA until recently.

-The Germans beat me to Olympic Games I, but I've built all the other Great Wonders so far. They built it in Konigsberg. I've been building all Wonders in St. Petersburg & Moscow.

-The rest of my cities are building improvements 1st. When they finish all improvements, they are building units (artillery, Cossacks, Perseviet Class BBs in Vladivostok which is working on it's 2nd). I'm keeping my extra Russian Infantry in St. Petersburg in case war breaks out in the west. All artillery & Cossacks are sent to Vladivostok in preparation for a war with Japan.

-Concerning the AI, they're not doing much. Nobody has sent units into my territory. Occasionally, I see German or Scandinavian ships go by. My Baltic fleet still has access to the Atlantic because nobody has blocked the sea around Copenhagen. The Japanese are building or shipping infantry in/to Korea so we've got an arms race going on.

-I see that the Ottomans have an Arab Raider unit. It didn't happen until later, but the Arabs revolted against the Ottomans with British support so it seems that the British should have that unit, not the Ottomans. I haven't played to the WWI years, though, so I'll see what happens. The Ottomans definitely shouldn't have an Arab camel unit during WWI.

Possible Bug Report: Horse Artillery Battery Russia upgrades to 7.62mm Putilov M1900 FG Battery for 40 Gold, but both units have the same stats... If the stats are correct, the former shouldn't upgrade to the latter.

I'm too far along to quit & start a 4.1 game. I'll upgrade to 4.1 when my current game is over. I'm having allot of fun. Thanks!

To be fair, I'm not much up on Marine history. Here is what I believe I know that's relevant: the US Marine Corps, due to having seen more continuous fighting than the standard US infantrymen, and the US forces sent to France were fresher than their enemies and allies (due to not being at war for the past 3 1/2 years). From a (brief) lookthrough of the wikipedia article on Belleau Wood, it looks to me like the Marines got cut to ribbons, and took the area primarily through tenacity and bullheadedness.

Yeah the Americans were quite badly lead in WW1 because they wouldn't let their troops come under the command of a French or British Office and they wouldn't even take advice of them. Once a British General was giving a talk on tactics to American officers explaining the mistakes they originally made and how they were getting over them. An American general then got up and said thanks to the Brit followed by "But don't pay too much heed to that, they've been trying this stuff for nearly four years and still haven't gotten anywhere". Basically the Americans fought with the tactics Britain had used at the beginning of the war, often they got slaughtered but they had a confidence andenthusiasm that after 3 years of fighting the Germans wouldn never have.

To me it seems like a good metaphor for the entire nation of America during the first half of the 20th century. Amazingly confident and enthusiastic but maybe needs to slow down a little.

Not to derail too far off the thread, but there are two sides to the US military in WW1. The first is that as far as the Brits and French were concerned, the US troops should just be fed into their units as replacements. This was totally unacceptable to the US for a couple of good reasons. For all the "experience" the French and Brit generals had, they hadn't done much of anything against the Germans in over 3 years of fighting except take massive casualties. How much attention would you pay to officers from such a situation? The other thing is the US wanted to fight as their own big units under US leadership. Granted, this decision would result in extra blood, but while the US started out as a very inexperienced military force, after they got blooded, learned, and got experience, their performance was much better. (The same thing would happen in Africa in WW2 where the US army would again have to pay their dues).

Yes, all that European experience in war fighting. It just wasn't with the army either. It can be argued that the Brits would have lost the U-boat war simply because they refused to convoy. Admiral Sims put pressure on them to convoy and they finally reluctantly adopted it. The results, as they say, are history.

NOTE: This is not intended to discredit the fighting qualities of the Allied nations in WW1; in fact there are examples of fine heroism to be seen everywhere and that is not to say all French or British generals are bad; (just most of them). There were in fact several good ones. (General Plumber of the Brits stands out as my example of a good WW1 general that was careful with the lives of his men and used innovative tactics to accomplish the mission at hand to the best of his abilities and within the restrictions placed on him by the British high command).

Possible Bug Report: Horse Artillery Battery Russia upgrades to 7.62mm Putilov M1900 FG Battery for 40 Gold, but both units have the same stats... If the stats are correct, the former shouldn't upgrade to the latter.
76.2mm (you missed the decimal ;) ) has 2 Rate of Fire, the HA Battery only has one.

re the US Marine WW1 - it is a mix of small (not divisional size) but effective (decent a/d). again, no other nation had a naval infantry corps that even came close to the USMC. as a matter of fact, naval infantry were still being used to board ships, not to deploy in combat zones. this was not the case w/ the US Marines. they began operating as a land-based combat entity during the Philippine War in 1899. no other naval infantry force can make this claim at this time (to my knowledge), thus the stats and the HP allotments. i'll repeat it one last time: no other country in this era had a naval infantry force as capable as the USMC.

76.2mm (you missed the decimal ;) ) has 2 Rate of Fire, the HA Battery only has one.

Oops. I missed that. Thanks. I'm glad I said, "possible." :D

Playtest Report. Version 4.0. Russia.

Week 25, 1900. Russo-Japanese War of 1899!!!

-I transferred all my Russian Infantry to Vladivostok &, from there, launched the invasion of Korea. Hamhung fell two Turns later (V.P. trenches then city). Captured one Raw Materials & two P.O.W. Workers.

Seoul took much longer with two layers of V.P. trenches to go through 1st. The Japanese defended those trenches with several infantry units. Seoul itself fell easily as it was only defended by a few 2 H.P. units.

At sea, this is the story of two fleets operating independently.

The fleet at Port Arthur consisted of 3 coastal gunships & 2 cruisers. Initially, they were bombarding shore units in support of my land forces, but the Japanese sent a Fuji Class BB up the west coast of Korea to confront them. They bombarded the BB, "yellowlining" it, but it attacked anyway rather than going to port for repairs. It was sunk attacking one of my cruisers! Then the other Fuji Class BB & 2 cruisers appeared sinking 2 of my gunships & a cruiser.:cry: The remains of my fleet fled to Port Arthur for protection & repairs. The Japanese cruisers sailed south & vanished. Japan's final Fuji Class BB put into Seoul for repairs where it was destroyed dockside when I took the city.

The Vladivostok fleet consisted of 5 cruisers bolstered by 3 Perseviet Class BBs & a Borodino Class BB that I had built recently. This fleet has had much better luck so far sinking 4 coastal gunships & 5 protected cruisers (PCs) while taking no losses.

With both of Japan's BBs resting on the bottom, I'm confident to say I have gained the upper hand @ sea. I'm going for Pusan next & will make peace after taking it. The Kuril Islands are a tempting target, but I haven't built any Steam Transports, yet.

-Italy keeps trying to trade it's surplus Wine to me, but they are asking for Oasis & 86 GPT so I keep declining. We'll make do with vodka!:D

-Germany is building up forces on our border in the V.P. trenches east of Konigsberg... They have 8 Schutztruppe Infantry, a Colonial Sentry Brigade & a Trench Garrison there now. This is becoming worrisome.

-Likewise, the Ottomans are building up forces on our border in the V.P trenches southeast of Trabzon. They have 2 Ottoman Infantry, an Arab Raider, an Arab Militia, a Trench Garrison & a Civil Engineer there now. They also have 2 Coastal Ironclads anchored at sea at that border. When the war with Japan ends, I'll transfer available forces to T'bilisi to deal with this. Odessa has finished all improvements & is building Borodino Class BBs.

-The British have suddenly pulled way out in front on VPs. They must have figured out how to get their raw materials home. Here's the current top 5: British Empire 497, Russia 454, USA 438, France 421, German Empire 379. Hopefully, the VP locations I've gained in Korea will help me catch up.

-EDIT: I got into the 2nd Era 6 Turns ago. Working on Behavioral Sciences now.

On seeing Ottoman Arab Militia show up in Anatolia, I want to reiterate that the Ottomans shouldn't have any Arab forces. They especially shouldn't have them in Anatolia which was ethnically Turkish, Kurd & Armenian &, in this scenario, isolated from Syria by Impassable Mountains. The historical record is pretty clear that the Arabs revolted as soon as they could & were no fans of the sultan. T.E. Lawrence's Revolt in the Desert or Seven Pillars of Wisdom are good references on this listing the Arab tribes in each region & when they revolted. The Arab Militia unit's stats are so low (1/4/1) that they are useless anyway.

Concerning the Russian city list, "Saint Petersburg" could be shortened to "St. Petersburg." I've never seen anybody (maps, books) spell out "saint" for that city's name. Is "T'bilisi" correct? I always see it spelled "Tblisi" or "T'blisi" in English.

Still having fun! Thanks!

the arab militia are probably showing up in anatolia b/c they're cashing in rm's. home guard units are the low end draft unit in anatolia iirc.

these units are the draft units. so that is why they have such a low stat assignment.

re arab raiders - thanks for those comments. i was already aware of that stuff. while it's correct that lawrence helped incite the arabs to revolt, they still had indigenous forces there prior to ww1. and i would even say that arab raiders in the T E Lawrence sense would not be ottoman since that is who they attacked. no?

re the US Marine WW1 - it is a mix of small (not divisional size) but effective (decent a/d). ... naval infantry were still being used to board ships, not to deploy in combat zones. this was not the case w/ the US Marines. they began operating as a land-based combat entity during the Philippine War in 1899.

Ohhh. You mean then, that WWI is the basic "turning point" of Marine-type soldiers going from being purely naval marines, used only in ship-to-ship combat, and becoming the "marines" we're used to today, which are more like regular combat units. Well you could have said that :p I understand now.

See, I don't particularly want to hold their cities (although getting Max + 1 Luxuries is awesome, as WW is now a moot point), but the only way to really stop the AI from continually swarming me is to destroy their industrial base; since razing is impossible and pillaging a bit difficult to do, the only real way to do this is to take their cities.

This, a million times this. In my current game as France there's been a long running WW since 1902 (current yr is 1906), and since everyone and anyone has declared war upon (and attacked) me (and everyone else) I've been forced to take over half the continent a-la Napoleon. I control West Germany, the Lowlands, Italy, Caligari, and all of Iberia. Off of 'the continent' I control all of Africa north of the Congo and West of the Nile, including the associated isles off the coast, as well as former Abyssinia and Italian East Africa. In Asia I control all of Indochina, China south of the Huai River, Taiwan, and the Indonesian isle of Borneo.

I've been forced out of South America and Polynesia (which is ok with me).

Internationally;
  • Austria-Hungary has taken over the Southern Russian Plains to the Caucasus Mountains.
  • The Ottomans have gone East instead of West, conquering Persia as well as three cities in British India :lol:
  • Mexico has captured Guam
  • The Filipinos have liberated all of the Philippines - except Tacloban, which the Japs control.
  • Thanks to (a very large) monetary support from France, Hispaniola controls all of the Caribbean isles except Cuba and Puerto Rico.
  • The Boars control all of the former Portuguese colonies in Africa south of the Congo, and most of the former Dutch colonies.
  • China has forced both Britain and Germany out of their respective protectorates.
  • Britain has done so-so. Though they've lost large amounts of territory, they've also gained; Tibet, the German Southeast Asian possessions, most of Dutch Indonesia, and Puerto Rico.
  • The US has conquered Cuba.

As far as I know I'm the only civ even close to the third age (two techs away). As well, so far I'm the only civ to have reached the WW1 tech; however this might change soon, as I've been purposefully avoiding the +2 tech wonders in order to let the AI catch up and be more competitive - so far Japan, US, UK, Germany, Russia, Austri-Hungry and Scandinavia have all built at least one.

Top Bottom