SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

El Justo is around - he has posted on CFC within the last two weeks. Shouldn't it be up to him where and how his scenario is available? Was he contacted to give consent?

My bad, I didn't realize he was still posting lately. I'll PM him. I'd have imagined though that if he intentionally decided to remove his scenario from public use he would have mentioned something somewhere here.

Got confirmation from El Justo that he has no problem with me re-uploading it, he's just been busy lately so hasn't had the time.

Also, unfortunately I don't have TCW. I used to have it on my desktop years ago but I've long since switched over to using my laptop exclusively and no longer have it on hand. Hopefully someone else does, though.

1. :goodjob: Sorry to give you a hard time on that point. There have been a couple situations in the past (other people, other scenarios) where files were not available because a major revision was in the pipeline & the creator didn't want confusion between the versions.

2. Let Ozymandias know. He's our resident "unofficial" archivist. A specific request thread in the forum is a good start.

:coffee:

I beg you, put in another link it's expired I know that 10 years past but still maybe you visit this place from time to time!

El Justo have returned to Civ3 creating and perhaps he might find a new home and upload his fantastic scenarios. Lets hope so, for all those without this gem.

The DL seems to be missing a ton of images that's making it crash on loading.

My game is crashing in 1905 when I try to build the Sudwester Military Academy (the one that lets Germany build Afrikaaner units). Any ideas?

I'm really enjoying playing this scenario again... it has been a long time, and I never got around to playing Germany before.

The last actual biq of the SOC site was AoI 5.0 and the last rared mainfile of the SOC-site also was bigger than the file uploaded by Bengal Tiger. El Justo is working on a solution.

Edited:

My game is crashing in 1905 when I try to build the Sudwester Military Academy (the one that lets Germany build Afrikaaner units). Any ideas?

I'm really enjoying playing this scenario again... it has been a long time, and I never got around to playing Germany before.

I had a look into the files. You reported an error, that is even in the last mainfile from the SOC-site: The wondersplash Afrikaaner Military Acad still has 16 Mio colours. The splash must be reduced to 256 colours and the new palette nust be fixed and adjusted to Civ 3-level. This will be fixed by me. bkwrm79, in the meantime copy one of the other working AoI wondersplashes and rename it to Afrikaaner Military Acad. Than you can continue your game, so you will see a strange wondersplash, when you are building this wonder.

Edited2:

Attached is the fixed wondersplash. Unzip it in the AoI-folder art\Wonder Splash and overwrite the old 16 Mio colour splash. I can only temporary attache this fix as I´m near my upload limit at CFC.

Edited 3: Vuldacon made a fix for that crash long ago. Here is the link:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8687903&postcount=5441

So I can remove my attachement.

Don't know if it can be modified or if it's part of the key game files, but I believe I've discovered a loophole with the heavy artillery pieces.

You can't load those into transports, right?

Not exactly! I just discovered that while you can't load a railgun into a transport when it's in port, you can order your railgun to move into a transport when it's at sea.

I think that's probably something in the raw code of the game, given how units can be left standing in coast tiles when transports move, too.

Thanks Civinator! :) Most helpful... not only for building the Wonder, but more importantly for playing as other Civs and thus not able to stop the Germans from building it.

Sonic, my guess is that you are right - it's probably something that can't be fixed by modding. But a sensible house rule would be to forbid yourself from doing it as the human player - not like the AI abuses artillery the way we do.

I have discovered there is one drawback to the rule - any artillery pieces loaded into the transport cannot disembark UNLESS that transport is in a port and unloads everything on board.

So it really comes off as a glitch built into the game itself, based on that. Getting on board the transport and the transport unloading units in a port is a separate code from the unit's own load/unload command, I suppose.

I think a few railguns being loaded/unloaded could be excused, though... the Civilopedia says that the USA used some of its railguns against the Germans, and I don't know if the USA could fire across the Atlantic. ;)

By the time railguns come around I have a horde of primitive artillery ready to be upgraded into field guns, anywho. :p

The current USA game where I discovered this little exploit! As usual, same as the vanilla game for the most part, barring a few Coal/Iron on some islands and the Ethiopians being replaced with Mahdists. Another key modification is I added a few City Guards along Mexico and Canada's borders with the USA to slow down the rate at which the AI US takes over the continent.

Naturally those City Guards aren't very useful against a player who knows human wave tactics are foolish, however. 8P I still took over Mexico in three or four turns!

I accidentally overwrote my autosaves and wound up back a few turns... but continued as Germany anyway.

To avoid repetition, I decided to take on the Lowlands instead of Russia (as Britain was attacking the Lowlands already, I figured it was an opportunity that might not come again). I was able to capture both European cities in short order.

I then reached the same point in the game, Great War tech, upgraded infantry, and built Sudwest and Flammen... thingies... no problem this time. :)

However, the Dutch went and bribed the Chinese and Afrikaaners to attack me. I believe my colonial forces are succeeding in fending off the Afrikaaner attack, but Tsingtao is doomed... barely survived the first wave of Chinese attackers, though it inflicted massive casualties.

And Britain is now going after Italy as well as the Lowlands, while a ton of various civs still wage war with Russia.

So tomorrow when I resume my game I have a key strategic choice to make:

1. attack Russia and secure my position in Europe (since I've conquered France and the Lowlands, control of Western Russia would make my homeland pretty secure); however postpones expanding my colonies and getting more VPs
2. attack Italy to gain ports and a jumping off point for an African campaign; maybe a nice compromise decision, but I can just send forces from Brest or Marseilles
3. send a large force to Africa to take out the Boers (would require ROP with Britain I suppose), weakening my European forces which surely means everybody will make peace with Russia and attack me

Whatever I do, going after France's African possessions is probably my second order of business.

I highly recommend tearing Russia apart when it's tied down fight a lot of other powers. They might not have much from a quality standpoint but their human wave tactics are never fun to endure. Gaining some buffer against them (and perhaps a nice VP location in St. Petersburg) is always a good idea. Eliminating them from the Baltic is also a bonus as it makes that effectively German territory.

Overall though, it's always nice to shrink Russia a tad so that if they ever do decide to attack you, they don't have as many production centers to churn out troops. :)

That's especially so later in the game, when they would have had the chance to build up their production and economy to a point that's less hindered by corruption and distance.

In my last game as Germany I tried the following strategy:
- Prepare for war, but don't declare war to anyone. Your ally Austria will drag you into war with plenty of nations. You political reputation will stay quite good and you can easily make other nations join your war effort.
- Prioritize Production:
I manually reallocated the worked tiles so Berlin, Koenigsberg and Hamburg did get maximum production output. Berlin is used for building wonders and land units, Hamburg and Koenigsberg for building capital ships.
- Rely on coastal bombardment:
This made it possible to take Western France, Scandinavia and the Baltic Russian cities.
- Find a VP location /city you can send your resources to.
In my game I allied with Spain against Portugal and was able to get Lisbon and some minor colonies. I could also have gone for some Baltic cities or Italy, but getting your Navy there takes quite a while
- Build a East-West railway connection between your African colonies
This was made possible by some Portuguese colonies
- completely ignore your Asian holding
In the Asian colonies I only built some defensive units but they didn't play any mayor role in my strategy

hi guys :) long time-no see :p

Civinator and i are working on getting some new DL links up at the fine German civ3 site, CivForum.de. Civinator, awesome individual that he is :cool: , has managed to plug in all of the newer unit gfx that have been released since the last version of AoI was uploaded a few years back. so this is the DL i will probably feature, the one with all the new unit gfx in there. gameplay will remain the same. it's just a visual update if you will.

i've been busy working on another civ3 project, Storm Over the Pacific, a ww2 pacific scenario starting around the battle of the coral sea. it's been slow going for me with it...due to lack of time and a host of other things. but it's close to an alpha stage atm and i will probably upload files in a few weeks or so and start testing it in earnest. of course, i could use help :D so if any of you guys may be interested in testing or other forms of contribution, please let me know. thanks guys, and thanks for your support with AoI etc :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the advice... as soon as my fleet gets back to the Baltic (sent it out to the Atlantic to crush Dutch fleet hovering off Brest, then the Brits blocked the channel), I think Russia will be in trouble! A-H is kinda quiet this game so I'll have to start my own wars.

El Justo, good to see you again. :) Great to hear you have another project underway. I would be glad to do some testing but how much time I have will be limited (currently apartment hunting, presumably should shift to packing in the foreseeable future).

If I recall correctly, Conquests had a Pacific scenario, but the AI wouldn't build or use ships much. Given what I've seen in AOI and TCW, I'm looking forward to seeing how you fix that.

Top Bottom