SCENARIO: "World War II - 1941 AD" on the complete world map for C3C

SimPathy

Chieftain
Well, I couldn't avoid making another WW2 as well ... as if there weren't a lot already. But maybe you'll enjoy it, although it's maybe not really a big thing, as it doesn't contain new graphics or units.

FILE: World War II - 1941 AD

-----------------

This is a plain and simple World War II scenario on the complete world map: There are no new graphics, units or improvements, and the original game rules have only been slightly changed. The scenario starts in June of 1941 and ends in May of 1949 after 95 turns, which is one month per turn.

You can play as one of the Axis powers (which are in a locked alliance): Nazi Germany, Japan and Italy. Play the British Commonwealth, the USA or the Free French, which constitute the Allies (in a locked alliance as well).
Not locked in an alliance, there are the civs of the USSR, Spain/Portugal, Turkey/Saudi Arabia, Brazil and the other South Americans. A real challenge is playing as China, which is at war with the Axis.

There are some minor historical inaccuracies for the sake of a more balanced game: The game starts June 1941, right before the German attack on the USSR, and although the attack on Pearl Harbor was not before December in real history, the USA are at war with the Axis already.
Ethiopia is still occupied by the Italians in the scenario, although they lost it in spring 1941 in reality. Vichy-France is included in Nazi-Germany, although it refused fighting with the Nazis. Indonesia and Congo belong to the Free French in the scenario, although they were colonies of the Netherlands and Belgium.
I hope you will enjoy the scenario nevertheless. ;)

The scenario is based on a 180x180 world map. It takes about 5 minutes to initialize on my 1.8 GHz/512 MB RAM computer, but once it is loaded, the game is very fast. Maybe it is unpleasantly slow on older systems.

The victory conditions diplomacy and culture are disabled. Corruption is set to 30% at the easiest difficulty level and increases by 10% with every next level. Tactical Nukes need Fission only as prerequisite instead of Space Flight. The government types Fascism and Communism remain unchanged, but Despotism, Republic and Feudalism have been excluded. Monarchy has been renamed to "Military Dictatorship", and there is the government type of "Democracy/Constitutional Monarchy", which has the same characteristics as Democracy, but the war weariness has been disabled.

This is indeed a great scenario. What surprises me the most is that finally someone made a scenario without heaping the cities together, leaving but one square or so between them.

There are a few slight flaws in my opinion, mainly concerning city placement, but perhaps you've sacrificed total accuracy for game-playability so I'll wait to elaborate any further criticism on this subject.

Furthermore, I believe that French North Africa was a Vichy suzerain until 1942, but then again their contribution to the Axis cause was minimal.

All in all this is a very good scenario and I personally consider it to be best global-scale scenario thus far.

Regards,
Heliobagalus

I'm glad to hear you like my scenario.
It was just a luck I found maps where Europe is bigger than it really is, compared to the other continents. That is congenially suited for historical scenarios on the world scale, I think.

Like you have guessed, my goal was indeed not to make the scenario the most accurate possible, but to find a balance between accuracy and good playability. Especially concerning loading time ... but I hope I was succesful avoiding severe inaccuracies.

And thanks for your info on Vichy France and North Africa ... I've searched my pocket historic map-book for that info quite a time, but without success. I'll consider changing it in the next version of the scenario... but then again I think maybe the Free French would become too weak. Whatever, I'll have it in mind.
At least Casablanca has to remain French. ;)

Thanks again for your appreciation.

"In autumn of 1940, the French colonies of Chad, Cameroon, Moyen-Congo, French Equatorial Africa, and Oubangi-Chari joined the Free French side. French colonies in New Caledonia, French Indochina, French Polynesia, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and the New Hebrides joined later."

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Free-French

I don’t think that you should be too concerned about making the Free French weak as it was the British and Americans whom crushed the Vichy regime militarily and eventually, by 1943, Germany occupied the remains of the badly battered Vichy Empire.

Regards,
heliobagalus

Could you please post a picture of the map(Showing the national bounfaries)?

Northern Africa and Syria-Lebanon (Damascus in the game) must be Vichy France.

It's a little difficult to decide which civ should have the control over these regions ... I've included Vichy France in Nazi Germany, although the Vichy refused to engage in fights on the side of the Nazis; it was more like a non-aggression-pact between both. So assigning the North African cities to Nazi Germany would give the Nazis too much influence there.

I would have made Vichy France a civ on it's own if there was the option of a "non-aggression-pact" in Civ3, but there isn't.

However, I'll think of that for the next version of the scenario.

If I recall correctly Iran was diverted between the Allies and the Soviets, whom seized the northern part, including Tehran, while the British got the southern territories.

The campaign was one of the most bloodless and swift during WWII and information about it is quite scarce. Although arguable, the Shahs pro-Axis sympathies were the professed casus belli by the Allies.

Not much but i hope it helps...

Regards,
heliobagalus

No I dowloaded it then tried to unizip it and my Winzip says that there's no file to unzip.

I've tried again and everything works fine.

Since you are the only person so far reporting that problem, it's probably a problem at your computer. Maybe you are using a very old version of winzip?

Originally posted by Metacomet
Northern Africa and Syria-Lebanon (Damascus in the game) must be Vichy France.
I disagree. NOTHING has to be as it was in reality. This is a game, after all.

i think it's great, but Mexico shouldn't be part of South America, as they entered the war in 1942. although this is 1941, i still think that they shouldn't be included in South America. also Ireland(Eire in their native language) wasn't part of Britian(except for what is now North Ireland). I would also reccomend that Basra be a coastal city for strategic purposes. Thats about all I have to say, excpet for this last note: Good Job! :D.

May I suggest giving the Democracy government some war weariness? I say this not only for historical accuracy but also to balance the game. By taking away war weariness for Democracy it sort of becomes the ultimate best government, and thus would make the Allies too powerful. ;)

Originally posted by Sim_One
May I suggest giving the Democracy government some war weariness? I say this not only for historical accuracy but also to balance the game. By taking away war weariness for Democracy it sort of becomes the ultimate best government, and thus would make the Allies too powerful. ;)
Too bad it's not something you can modify DURING the game. I would think that for the USA, war weariness would be next to non-existant for the first year, but would steadily increase as time went on.

I've just downloaded and wish it will work. I seems to be a good scenario. Thanks for your job:goodjob:

Also may I ask how much did you tried to create that scenario? A few days? I wanna create a fictional scenario that will rock!!!

Top Bottom