Settle a dispute . . .

Would you describe the man in this audio clip as speaking or as singing?

• Speaking

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Singing

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
When I ask which of the two I could dispense with and still retain the better part of the genre, my answer is the lyrics.*

This song has over a quarter billion listens, are you saying people listen to this for the poetry? Of course not.

And the instrumental version 47k. You keep making my point for me, Narz.

Another example (aprox 400 million views)

Who knows the lyrics except "baby tonight, DJ got us falling in love again"? Maybe pre-teen girls from a decade ago with Usher posters on their walls? It's the beat baby, makes you bob while you're brushing your teeth. It's catchy but it sure ain't very good poetry & don't get me started o Lil John :ack:

Uh, Narz, that says people listen to it for the lyrics. (3.9k for a capella version)

I mean, of course it's the combination.

Besides, we've moved away from rap. Even the Usher you posted no one would call rap.

Last edited:
Uh, Narz, that says people listen to it for the lyrics. I mean, of course it's the combination.
It's both, people like to hear a voice, it's more interesting than just some tunes, that doesn't mean they necessarily care about the lyrics. How many people who's heard Nevermind (nirvana) can even understand wtf he's saying but they still like his voice

Even the Usher you posted no one would call rap.
R&Bish but still in the hip-hop family

Yeah, with most pop, I would reverse and say the lyrics are inane and one listens for the music (including the singing of the voice).

With rap, it's the opposite. The lyrics matter most and the music plays a subservient role.

A singing voice can be saying "Hey Nonny Nonny" and it can be worth listening to. A speaking voice has to be saying something worth listening to to make it worth listening to.

Last edited:
It's speaking. I don't care what was removed. We were asked to evaluate a video, and the portion I saw is clearly speaking, not singing.

A speaking voice has to be saying something worth listening to to make it worth listening to.
Does it? Carl Sagan could have recited his shopping list and I'd have listened. My ears found his voice very pleasant to listen to.

Yeah, with most pop, I would reverse and say the lyrics are inane and one listens for the music (including the singing of the voice).
Not for me. Lyrics are more important than the music generally. :p

Can't vote, because while it's not singing, it plays with a bunch of things in the artist's voice to fit the overall music. Therefore it's not speaking, either.

I guess if that qualifies for "speaking"? But I'm not subverting the vote or hedging my bets. The vote options are inadequate :)

Is this rapping, singing or both?

Not my taste in music so I skipped around in the track to listen to more than just the first part and I voted singing.

Another example (aprox 400 million views)

Who knows the lyrics except "baby tonight, DJ got us falling in love again"? Maybe pre-teen girls from a decade ago with Usher posters on their walls? It's the beat baby, makes you bob while you're brushing your teeth. It's catchy but it sure ain't very good poetry & don't get me started o Lil John :ack:
I used to sing that song full blast.

But that song isn't rap, it's like a disco ballad :ack: that was cashing in on the electro house flavored EDM nascence.
Is this rapping, singing or both?
Coolio's part is rapping.
LV's part is singing.
The song has rapping for the verses and singing for the chorus.

How's your hearing?
That’s one thing kids today will never get the chance to experience: comically large ear trumpets.

1587D4C5-F34A-448E-9D9E-4A62A4683517.jpeg

Hearing loss is not much fun. :(

Top Bottom